Quote Originally Posted by MrsMeowMeow View Post
Can anyone recommend me anything like NGE, serial experiments lain, ergo proxy or steins gate? You know, deep and dark psychological stuff, preferably in a futuristic setting.
Some of these recommendations aren't precisely what you are asking for but I'm a huge NGE and Steinsgate fan so.../ forgive me if you've seen some of these

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - its just great. Plot driven but the characters are all complex and wonderful and it honestly does give you a lot to think about. Grotesque and dark in places too. Better than the original in my opinion.

Elfen Lied
- So fucked up, deeply psychological, very sad but also touching, futuristic sci fi setting for sure but sort of a small story in an interesting way

Baccano!
- This anime is AMAZING. The only piece of storytelling ive seen that truly has no main characters or main plot. It takes the idea of an "ensemble cast" to a whole new level. In a way this anime is a deconstruction of the philosophical idea of a story itself. It's a bit confusing in the beginning but if you start, stick with it. Its truly one of a kind.

Gurren Lagan
- Has my favorite art of any anime ever. Futuristic, mecha, philosophical as balls as well. Story really takes into account the possibilities of understanding quantum mechanics, and what it means to live in a world with set systems, that can be controlled once understood. I'm giving a weird description. Underneath all that its really a story about heart and not giving up. Great stuff.

Death Note - Pretty mainstream and an obvious pick, but I always think its worth mentioning in case anyone hasn't heard of it/ isn't that familiar with anime. Ive seen a lot of anime and this one is still superior than most in my opinion. I can watch it over and over.

Monster - My favorite anime of all time. Sort of a slow burner, but a masterpiece in my opinion. This is the thriller. Deeply psychological and political. I don't want to say anything about the plot b/c I went into it cold but it is essentially "No good deed goes unpunished" fully realized as a concept.

Code Geass - sci-fi/mecha/political The art can be offputting because its more in that cutesy style than the others listed, however the story is mature, can get very dark and I think the way the series grows is really fantastic. Great ending too and one of the most interesting protagonists in anime.

Attack on Titan -If your not watching this right now, WATCH. It just finished its first season. Also best to go in this one cold, but if you like being unsettled and entertained....