Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Duh doy moment: Mueller confirms Trump obstructed justice and can be charged once he’s no longer president.

Will it matter, though?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Republican attempts to appear even remotely interested in any response from their turns at inquiry are reaching SNL-levels of cartoonish absurdity.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    Duh doy moment: Mueller confirms Trump obstructed justice and can be charged once he’s no longer president.

Will it matter, though?
    Charged is one thing. Convicted is entirely another.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh. The Republicans’ sermons are finally over.

Wtf.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Charged is one thing. Convicted is entirely another.
    Did you miss the, “Will it matter, though?” the first time or just agreeing?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Will it matter, though?
    I don't think this will do a damn thing in terms of moving public opinion. Nothing new was learned. But boy, I despise Republicans.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I feel it's prematurely pessimistic to say this will not have an influence. There's a lot of "moments" here, and we're not even done listening yet.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I feel it's prematurely pessimistic to say this will not have an influence. There's a lot of "moments" here, and we're not even done listening yet.
    Chuck Todd and some others are commenting what a "disaster" this has been for Dems, like it's a fucking reality show.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Did you miss the, “Will it matter, though?” the first time or just agreeing?
    Just commentary. Does everything have to be super ultra combative with you?

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    That wasn’t combative. I was asking a question.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Chuck Todd and some others are commenting what a "disaster" this has been for Dems, like it's a fucking reality show.
    Everyone scrambles in situations like this...

Way back in the long long ago, when shit used to be sane and not completely fucking nuts all the time, we could trust the "truth would win out." Now we're fighting for it.

Chuck Todd can fuck off right now in his attempts to be a crucial voice in the analysis here. I'm going back to munching my popcorn.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Devin Nunes was actively sourcing and encouraging Q-anon type conspiracy responses there.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    For future reference, unless I ask you to PM me, i won't read PM's sent after an interaction in political threads. I delete them unread. *shrug* I'm not about to get into a prolonged debate backstage. If i don't reply in the thread, i'm letting it drop, and that's the end of it as far as i'm concerned.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    For future reference, please don’t assume I’m being combative especially after I politely clarify for you. If your response to that clarification is to facepalm it, that’s a shit response and on you.

I didn’t want to derail but you wanted it public so congrats.

That, before you ask, is combative as you made it that way.

*douche shrug*

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    For future reference, please don’t assume I’m being combative especially after I politely clarify for you. If your response to that clarification is to facepalm it, that’s a shit response and on you.

I didn’t want to derail but you wanted it public so congrats.
    i did not, i was letting it go, as i said. At least you're admitting to derailing.

That, before you ask, is combative as you made it that way.

*douche shrug*
    And, as you have done before, you illustrate my point. If you're finished, maybe the thread can continue.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I know you really want that to be true (you certainly bring it up a lot) and truth is certainly harder to find nowadays but I’m afraid it just doesn’t check out.

Back to the thread, if these republicans had any remaining dignity and integrity, this would be the end for Trump but this GOP has neither quality.
    I hope I’m wrong. I hope you’re right, @Jinsai .

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Watching how this is getting spun... and now I have to begrudgingly admit that I didn’t get why it was SO effective to just do away with the seriousness of press conferences.

this country is fucked. We are fucked

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Same. Seeing headlines reading “flop” and “bad optics” instead of “Mueller confirms Trump can be indicted once he’s no longer president” or even “Mueller confirms Trump campaign welcomed and covered up Russian interference” is disappointing but not that shocking.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    holy shit..this guy really is the British version of Trump..

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Missed the whole thing (on an insane tour on the other side of the world). Is it safe to assume that, as promised at the release of the report, there was literally no new information revealed today other than a further confirmation that this is in fact a partisan hack job (meaning a legitimate investigation that the GOP is turning a blind eye to)?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Yes. In short: Trump is bad, but will go unpunished.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    This hearing wasn’t intended to punish Trump; it was supposed to be like reading big parts of the Mueller Report aloud for all the millions who haven’t read it, and having Mueller confirm areas that WERE NOT explored in the investigation (but should be).

The public seems to have wanted this to be Impeachment Hearing Lite, but it was never going to be that.

One thing that Mueller DID clarify in the hearing:

Trump CAN be indicted for the obstructions outlined in the report after he’s no longer President (if the statute of limitations hasn’t run out).
    Last edited by allegro; 07-26-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    This hearing wasn’t intended to punish Trump; it was supposed to be like reading big parts of the Mueller Report aloud for all the millions who haven’t read it, and having Mueller confirm areas that WERE NOT explored in the investigation (but should be).

The public seems to have wanted this to be Impeachment Heating Lite, but it was never going to be that.

One thing that Mueller DID clarify in the hearing:

Trump CAN be indicted for the obstructions outlined in the report after he’s no longer President (if the statute of limitations hasn’t run out).
    Well yeah, I mean...you'd have to be an idiot if you thought this was going to be a big smoking gun moment or something. He clearly stated before that everything he learned was in the report and that testifying would reveal nothing new.

I guess my hope was that just having video clips and soundbites would at least provide for a couple days' worth of coverage that made it clear that there were probably a number of felonies committed, AND reiterate that regardless of "collusion" there absolutely was a shit ton of Russian interference. I wanted to see a news cycle dominated by "reminder: report concluded 10+ cases of possible obstruction, Russian interference, etc", and instead all I'm seeing is crap about "Democrats win / lose, Republicans win / lose" depending on which site we're talking about.

What's the statute on obstruction charges? Short enough that it expires before 01/20/2025? Didn't someone else (SDNY, maybe) also have a bunch of financial shit that they thought they might be able to hit him with, but only if he was ousted after this term?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    it's all about optics... for some reason, they only matter to Trump's followers when they're spoon fed to them from the glorious leader.
    This was about optics... and I DO NOT GET how having the man say CLEARLY OUT LOUD the charges he confirmed isn't a "smoking gun moment" as far as optics go, but I'm going to go play playstation or something now and maybe I'll smoke a bowl and fuck it... wake me up when shit matters.

Meanwhile, Trump can keep tweeting shit like "NO OBSTRUCTION!" and it's fine cuz shit doesn't matter and nothing's real.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    trump thinks that article 2 in the constitution allows him to do whatever he wants. he's wrong. https://thinkprogress.org/trump-beli...-4018da3ed988/
    "(Trump) enjoyed a laugh when someone suggested he’d be “President for life!”'That’s what they’re afraid of, you know,' he said."

Uhhhhhhhh...

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    What's the statute on obstruction charges?
    Federal = 4 years. Happened in 2017, so we have until 2021 to indict him.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Federal = 4 years. Happened in 2017, so we have until 2021 to indict him.
    I don't get how there's a four year statute of limitations for someone who, while they hold a job that's guaranteed for four years, and is untouchable by the law during that period of time. This just feels like a "duh, derrrp, obviously this isn't a good idea..." moment if ever there was one.

One thing Trump has brought to light is that this great "experiment," and our genius/brilliant whatever construction of our system of laws... it has always been fucked up, our notions of checks and balances are illusions, and it took someone like this asshole to really test that notion openly and brazenly.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-26-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't get how there's a four year statute of limitations for someone who
    The statute of limitations applies to the federal crime, not the person.

The statute of limitation time can be revised and lengthened or eliminated, but the time on the books, currently, applies.

So, vote him out and he can be indicted.

It is coincidental, it’s not a conspiracy.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Now there are reports that Iran is interfering with the 2020 election.

And it’s safe to assume they’re NOT helping Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...olitics&wpmk=1

China is about 2,000 times smarter than Russia in the cyber department and they hate Trump’s tariffs.

Cocaine Mitch McConnell just shot down two bipartisan bills intended to protect our election process.

This will bite the GOP on the ass. And they’ll cry and whine and they’ll deserve it.
    Last edited by allegro; 07-26-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Trump 2019 - There are still children in detention separated from their parents

Now there are reports that Iran is interfering with the 2020 election.

And it’s safe to assume they’re NOT helping Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...olitics&wpmk=1

China is about 2,000 times smarter than Russia in the cyber department and they hate Trump’s tariffs.

Cocaine Mitch McConnell just shot down two bipartisan bills intended to protect our election process.

This will bite the GOP on the ass. And they’ll cry and whine and they’ll deserve it.
    If it’s what you say, I love it.

Actually election meddling is not cool no matter what, but It’s so sickening to see to what extent the republicans will go to try to protect/support the criminal n chief.
    Last edited by somewhat_; 07-26-2019 at 04:03 PM.