Thread: US Abortion Bans

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I think what elevenism was trying to get at is that the people of Texas are not a monolith. More Texans vehemently oppose this law than support it, but the state has been so gerrymandered over the last 30 years that the government of Texas does not represent the way the state really is. And now it looks like the gerrymandering and the overrepresentation of far-right conservatives is about to get a lot worse.

That said, I think that the reproductive rights/justice movement needs allies across the entire sex and gender spectra as it affects everyone, not just those of us with uteruses. We should be able to get sterilization procedures when we want them, no questions asked. We should have full access to STI testing, contraceptives, fertility treatments, pre- and post-natal care, and treatments for conditions that can impact our sexual health and our reproductive health. All laws like the one in Texas are doing is making it a lot harder for everyone except the very privileged to do just that. How many people are going to die of sepsis because they can't get a D&E/D&C in a timely manner while they have a miscarriage? How many will be resigned to carrying a non-viable pregnancy to term because they don't have the resources to travel to Colorado and get the treatment they need? How many people are going to once again end up with horrible infections, or be rendered sterile, or even die because they sought out an underground abortion?

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    but the state has been so gerrymandered
    Gerrymandering does not affect Senate races, or Governor races, or Presidential elections.

@BRoswell - I’m not “mad” at anyone. I’m tired. This has been battled for 48 fucking years.

Right now, those of us in states with the right to abortions are busy organizing ways to get those who need safe options for abortions to other states. We are providing an “underground railroad” for those in need. Many of us are offering to drive vans to pick up and deliver people who don’t have any funds to get them to other states.

That’s how dangerous it’s gotten. There are ticking clocks.

Words about how “we aren’t all that bad” - that’s not important. It’s worrying about something that isn’t important. It’s diverting attention from the actual topic.

The bottom line is that 100% of pregnancies are caused by cis males. And condoms are 99.9% effective. And nearly all of these laws were passed by cis males.

Coming into an abortion thread to defend a precious state while losing sight of what’s happening is beyond myopic.

“I bleed red white and blue, but not for the US. I bleed lone stars.”

In a thread about people potentially bleeding to death? Read the room.

Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I'm a dude. I also have a uterus.
    I meant no offense, I know him personally; you’re right, though; I should have used different language. I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by leo3375 View Post
    How many people are going to die of sepsis because they can't get a D&E/D&C in a timely manner while they have a miscarriage? How many will be resigned to carrying a non-viable pregnancy to term because they don't have the resources to travel to Colorado and get the treatment they need? How many people are going to once again end up with horrible infections, or be rendered sterile, or even die because they sought out an underground abortion?
    Yup. Or can’t get to another state that provides a legal and safe abortion or procedure.
    Last edited by allegro; 10-11-2021 at 08:33 PM.