Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diets!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Diets!

So I know there is the what are you eating thread already, but that is more of a post your dinner-end of discussion thread.

Just in time for the New year this can be for discussion of all those crazy fad diets, lifestyle diets, or just general eating guidelines that you follow.
    The new guy Im with is a big advocate of the Paleo diet, so of course whenever we cook Ive been eating within the diet as well. Last night we had grass fed beef bone marrow soup with veggies for dinner. I personally think it would have been better with some bread on the side. According to him its not a diet but an eating lifestyle since he is not trying to lose weight or restrict calories.
    I find it strange for a guy to be so concerned with the type of food he is eating and even more strange that he sticks to the diet so well. At least its a diet that allows for unlimited mass consumption of delicious meats.
    Personally I don't care much for diets of any type. Ive seen people lose lots of weight on nutrisystem but they hated every minute of it, the food looked and tasted terrible...

Do you follow any specific food regiment/diet/lifestyle? How is it working out for you?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    After yeeeears of complaining about my chubbiness, I finally stopped giving a flying fuck. Then I started doing yoga and biking regularly, and several months later I easily lost everything I always complained about. Go figure! It's nice but it's even nicer since I don't CARE that I lost the weight. I'm just glad I'm flexible and in shape again!

As for my actual food diet, I actually had to increase my intake because I was eating just enough to maintain my weight for several years, but with the extra exercise I started to feel too tired so I had to eat more to give myself more energy. I'm thinking I'll probably have gained some weight by the end of the month because my appetite has been the same (increased, that is) but I haven't been biking at all since I'm away currently...but yeah, if that happens, I don't care too much thankfully- and even if I did, I now know what to do to get it under control!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eat less.

Now, what to eat, if you must. Lean protein, a little non-refined carbs and fat. Sugar is death, as is white bread.

BTW, this kind of regimen sucks, IMO. Just eat less.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Agh. In 2010 I lost about 12 kilos, and I felt great; and in 2011 I put 6 back on, and it's climbing. This despite the fact that I don't drink, or eat meat: I eat fruit and vegetables, a lot of fiber and whole grains, exercise and do yoga.
    True I have been slipping back into sweets here and there (seemingly endless stress about not getting a job will do that for me), and I do eat out more than I should. But I thought the switch to a healthier diet in general would take care of things, but it didn't, and I'm pretty depressed about putting the weight back on. For others who've put dieted off weight back on, here's a depressing read: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/ma...-fat-trap.html
    For me also being single or in a relationship makes the difference too: when I am single I slim down, when I am in a relationship I put on weight again.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 01-03-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have to eat more, but less crap. I hate my current breakfast: two slices of wholegrain bread, 20g of meat or low-fat cheese, one glass of juice, one cup of milk, one low-fat yoghurt and a piece of fruit. TOO MUCH FOOD. I hate it.

Also, I have to drink more. Which is fine at home, but almost impossible to do at work. But, since my heart is starting to act up because of my new pills, I really have to lose the weight. So: more fluids and more food it is.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sublimaze View Post
    Eat less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elke View Post
    eat more.
    Which is it? From what I am aware, I never lost weight by eating more, but always eating less. But maybe that's my problem because I can lose weight like it's nobody's business, but it always comes back.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I stick to a low GI diet. Basically, this is lots of vegetables and protein, and only a little bit of carbs. I find I can eat as much cheese as I like and not put on weight but a potato sets me back several lbs. I try to eat little and often, and log everything I eat and all the exercise I do into a food diary, and I prefer to eat my carbs in the morning and/or sacrifice a course of grains for a little bit of sweet (e.g. a Lindt ball instead of some pasta). My latest run was inspired by an invite to the Savoy Hotel for a re-launch of the Atkins program which is meant to be a lot more along the lines of a low GI diet - you can read more about it here.

I'm also looking into ways I can eat more eco friendly/vegan foods without compromising the above, as I generally base my meals around meat. I don't want to go halfway and be vegetarian because I don't want to do it hypocritically, even though it may be unintentional, and I don't want my health to suffer.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Which is it? From what I am aware, I never lost weight by eating more, but always eating less. But maybe that's my problem because I can lose weight like it's nobody's business, but it always comes back.
    I think the idea is that by eating more frequently - eating breakfast, small snacks, which feels like eating more to lots of people who have only one big meal a day - you keep your metabolism going. Also, by eating more frequently, but smaller bits, you're not getting to the starving point and thus eating more when you finally get your big meal, so it's still overall less.

Plus, when you only eat one or two meals a day, even if they're big meals, your body might decide in the meantime that you're starving, and thus clings to those calories all the harder, trying to "store up" before its next "starve."

And pretty much everyone can always drink more water.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    ^ Yup, that's my problem. That, and snack attacks around 8 o'clock, because I haven't been eating enough. I eat fairly healthy (I never eat fast food or deep fried stuff, for instance) but I usually eat at 12 and then again a big meal at 5, and it's just not enough.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by millionmilesaway View Post
    The new guy Im with is a big advocate of the Paleo diet, so of course whenever we cook Ive been eating within the diet as well. Last night we had grass fed beef bone marrow soup with veggies for dinner. I personally think it would have been better with some bread on the side. According to him its not a diet but an eating lifestyle since he is not trying to lose weight or restrict calories.
    I find it strange for a guy to be so concerned with the type of food he is eating and even more strange that he sticks to the diet so well. At least its a diet that allows for unlimited mass consumption of delicious meats.
    My husband and I went on the paleo diet last year (him more strict than me, as he has extra weight). He lost 25 pounds in a couple months, which I feel is a perfect, healthy pace. The diet isn't just about losing weight, it's about eating what people think our bodies are designed, over years and years, to digest well; so it makes sense to keep on it even when you're not needing to shed pounds. From everything I read, it's not mass consumption of meats at all. We followed a 20, 20, 60 system with cooked meals. 20% protein, 20% carb, 60% vegetables. We went with the more modern take on it (the diet has been around since the 70's) which allows a small amount of regular potatoes (sweet potatoes are always considered in the diet) and quinoa as part of the carb serving.
    I think the best way to keep at it when not trying to lose weight is to follow it less strictly, but keep it in mind as you eat. You don't want to cut out dairy forever as that can get rid of your tolerance for it. The main thing that annoyed us is no legumes- we eat a large amount of soy bean products (it's not unusual for me to use 3 different forms of it in one meal), so we did bend the rules when it came to a sprinkling of soy sauce or a tbsp of miso to hearty up a soup. Also, that means no chickpeas, which are so incredibly healthy. I think rules like this are a bit iffy and we'd just keep mainly with the 20, 20, 60 and no grains or unnecessary dairy.
    Last edited by Tea; 01-05-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've dropped 30 lbs in the last 26 days from Juicing. Only intaking Vegetable and Fruit Juice and some nuts here and there. Feel pretty great. Started gaining a ton of weight after I got married in 2008. Decided to do a system reboot after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Check it out. its on netflix.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    On a diet again after gaining over the spring
    oh what fun

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    My wife and I just went mostly vegan since watching Vegucated last weekend.. I say mostly as we have an awful lot of cheese left to eat in the fridge.. other than that though its been all veg and potatoes n fruit.. I feel pretty great but I do feel thirsty for meat...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I really would not recommend making radical or sudden diet changes. I've been a vegetarian (or pescatarian) for 4 years and I still haven't given up fish, though I intend to when I'm ready.
    I think if you hunger for meat you should eat it, and gradually reduce and phase that stuff out.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    hmm.. I wouldn't say its too radical.. I never ate that much meat (only once or twice a week).. the only change has been switching to soya milk and reducing the dairy.. I can't see changing to a complete vegan myself.. I love cheese and milk too much.. plus dairy free cheese tastes like ass.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    No carrageenan, inorganic fruit or vegetables (or *anything* with the option for organic/locally grown), preservatives, artificial colors, high fructose corn syrup, GMO, and no MSG. No anything that had an artificial hand in making it.

Unless I'm eating out at someplace simply worth the backslide.

Sure, it's more expensive, but it's not the hardest thing to do like some would have you think. You adjust, and may buy less groceries like I do as a result from making the switch. I haven't done the figures on how much more I may spend (I honestly am not sure if I am even spending more)...but I'm way past caring about that. It's actually easy when you know you're giving your body what it's only needed all this time. I've not been sick once since I started replacing bullshit chemicals on my menu with actual nourishment, around 6 months ago. But that's not even the real goal. It's about feeling better than you thought could.

(This applies to all my hygienic products as well. Rage against the FDA. Read about it. And/Or use logic.)

Lots of juicing...beets are awesome.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    hmm.. I wouldn't say its too radical.. I never ate that much meat (only once or twice a week).. the only change has been switching to soya milk and reducing the dairy.. I can't see changing to a complete vegan myself.. I love cheese and milk too much.. plus dairy free cheese tastes like ass.
    Then you're eating the wrong kind of cheese.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Goddammit, I am such a carb whore, it's tough to lose weight.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm a total carb and sugar whore, too. The only way to counteract it is to burn it to death via cardio and muscles. Lately, G and I have been doing long intense bike trips (min. 9 miles).

re vegetarian: sudden all or nothing is silly. Meatless Monday is a great start. See Paul McCartney's cookbook.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-31-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Low-carbing it has done pretty right by me. I don't crave carbs as much as other people do, so it's easier for me to drop them and focus on eating lots of lean meat and fresh vegetables. The only problem is that it's expensive to keep going, and it requires a level of culinary ingenuity that I just lack. Restaurants are a pain, being stuck for ideas for things to make at home is a worse pain. Beats being a fatso, I suppose, but it's so, so easy for me to backslide and find myself face-down in a plate of pasta with three empty beer bottles beside me.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I low carb and have a binge (potatoes, for me) occasionally too. But it works out being once or twice a month and it tends to keep me on track for the rest of it. I agree that it can get expensive and finding replacements/substitutes (the recipes on the Atkins website are laughable in places) can be annoying. I try to mix things up with vegan protein foods - there's a faux roast chicken loaf that is low carb enough to work as a savoury bread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm training for a half-marathon for the next three months, and I cut out Starbucks frappucinos (a highly sugary and daily indulgence of mine) except on Sundays, my rest days. I swear I've lost three pounds already from doing this, because I haven't changed anything else in my regimen. As of now it's granola for breakfast, fruits and veggies for snacks, turkey and swiss for lunch, and chicken/fish and broccoli for dinner. And then on the nights before my long run days I'll carb up with some pasta - gnocchi with melted cheese is my particular kryptonite. Yay balanced eating!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I'm starting a new program where I cut out as much wheat products as possible, and focus primarily on veggies, protein, fruit, etc.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I'm starting a new program where I cut out as much wheat products as possible, and focus primarily on veggies, protein, fruit, etc.
    I know a couple folks who have tried this and swear by it. The thought of going paleo just hurts my head. I just don't want to be obsessive about food. As I go warn up my leftover Chicken Basil with Brown rice.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post
    I know a couple folks who have tried this and swear by it. The thought of going paleo just hurts my head. I just don't want to be obsessive about food. As I go warn up my leftover Chicken Basil with Brown rice.
    I mostly want to see if it will improve my allergy symptoms (which it supposedly does). Rice isn't off this diet, as rice in its original form is healthy. But I just learned that most soy sauce has gluten in it. And that gluten-free soy sauce exists. I'm lactose intolerant so I'm already on a restricted diet for that, and if you haven't had lactose-free Breyer's vanilla ice cream, you don't know what you're missing, it's awesome!

Edit: ^^ If that has wheat in it, I'm going on an all ice cream diet, fuck it.
    Last edited by allegro; 05-31-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most of my diet contained of carbs, so oh wonder I gained a lot of weight in the last few years. Suddenly, I even don't know where it came from I'm really, really fed up with it. I'm not givong up on carbs completely, but here in Germany everything comes with carbs, and bread is included in almost every meal somehow. I just made slight changes and now a normal day eating looks like this for me:- breakfast: some fresh berries with low fat yoghurt and some oatmeal, a cup of coffee with milk-lunch: a fresh vietnamese soup with coconutmilk, chickenbreast and loads of veggies- tuna and fried mushrooms, red peppers and rocket saladI also try to drink at least 2 liters of water and green tea.I didn't follow any specific plan, so I don't know if this is a good plan, but I'm feeling very good doing it.
    Last edited by redzora; 06-04-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redzora View Post
    Most of my diet contained of carbs, so oh wonder I gained a lot of weight in the last few years. Suddenly, I even don't know where it came from I'm really, really fed up with it. I'm not givong up on carbs completely, but here in Germany everything comes with carbs, and bread is included in almost every meal somehow. I just made slight changes and now a normal day eating looks like this for me:- breakfast: some fresh berries with low fat yoghurt and some oatmeal, a cup of coffee with milk-lunch: a fresh vietnamese soup with coconutmilk, chickenbreast and loads of veggies- tuna and fried mushrooms, red peppers and rocket saladI also try to drink at least 2 liters of water and green tea.I didn't follow any specific plan, so I don't know if this is a good plan, but I'm feeling very good doing it.
    That sounds like a pretty good plan. It was weird for me to find something other than Nutrigrain waffles with berries or Cheerios with berries for breakfast, but i've been making smoothies instead. Lunches are salads with veggies and protein. Last night was protein and veggies. The husband is especially addicted to bread of all kinds so even he's giving this a try. On Wednesday, we're going out with friends to an Italian restaurant that has a gluten-free menu, so we'll see how that works out.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The Atkins bread mix might be worth you guys trying (or one of the gluten-free low carb breads you can get on the net). I make my own low carb pizza crust, but seeing as there's only one of me living here it'd be a waste to make loaves.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icklekitty View Post
    The Atkins bread mix might be worth you guys trying (or one of the gluten-free low carb breads you can get on the net). I make my own low carb pizza crust, but seeing as there's only one of me living here it'd be a waste to make loaves.
    I am looking for a good cornmeal pizza crust recipe. (gluten free)
    edit: just ordered a gf pizza from our fave local pizzeria. not bad!

I'm not gonna do 100% gluten-free, this is just an experiment, but removing bread and grains from your diet sure wakes you up as to just how much of it you're eating. Whoa.

I'm gonna learn how to be the omelet queen.
    Last edited by allegro; 06-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I drink Diet Coke to stay thin but if they made diet water I'd drink that instead.