Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
In fairness, favorite band or not, there are some pretty significant entry barriers to the medium. Cost of the albums themselves, a decent player that won't ruin your collection, the rest of the setup to get the sound from your player to your ears. Storage considerations of the vinyl itself, a place to put your setup in your house. Not to mention it can be somewhat intimidating / overwhelming for some new to the medium. This isn't an argument against vinyl but I can understand why some haven't jumped in.
Yeah, makes sense. I grew up buying 80% CDs, 15% cassettes, and 5% vinyl, so CD is definitely the medium of my formative years, but once NIN released their vinyl statement, I bought an affordable turntable and have been enjoying building and showing off my collection ever since.

I guess I just feel that with so many ways to consume music these days, focusing on one medium is bound to lead to disappointment. If you don't have a turntable, listen on streaming. If you don't have streaming, download it digitally. If you want to listen on a CD or iPod, burn/transfer the files over to one. If you want to own a physical copy of the thing, buy the vinyl, stick it on your wall, and listen to the music on streaming or a burned CD. If you want specifically to listen to it on CD and for the specific CD you put into your player to be specifically an official one and not a burned one you made yourself – and that music comes from an artist who has pretty much dismissed CDs as a medium – I don't know, it just feels like asking for too much?

Granted, I know the above scenario is exactly how we consumed music 20 years ago, but I think part of Trent's philosophy comes from the fact that putting music onto a phone or CD is so easy, so anyone can listen via those options regardless of how something is officially released. Vinyl, on the other hand, is something you can't really fake, so prioritizing a vinyl release makes the most sense.