Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    how you can compare this to that is amazing to me. Dance of the Clairvoyants vs. anything on this album? man. but ok.
    Haha. I am a massive PJ fan and love Dance too. I guess it gave me a false expectation to expect something experimental. Interested to see what they do with Andrew Watt

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am on my third listen now, this time with earphones. It is good background music. Slowly growing on me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think half of it's really good, I could make a solid 40 minute album out of it. What's the deal with these guys and every album being double-album length since Blood Sugar Sex Magik? Their style doesn't lend itself to that long a listen.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yup 17 tracks too long
    i think Here Ever After, Not The One, Poster Child, The Great Apes and The Heavy Wing stand out for me.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Album is fun as hell. These Are The Ways and Whatchu Thinkin' are fantastic feeling. Cannot wait for my Lakers vinyl variant to come!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I am surprised how consistently funky this album is, and how natural it feels. The funk of Stadium Arcadium sounded a bit forced, and I thought that they would move away from that here. Also, Tony Flow has still got it! I'm liking the rapping to singing ratio,

There are so many wonderful moments all over this record.

White Braids & Pillow Chair is a beautiful song, that becomes transcendent in the outro... which could go on looped for 10 min and I would be happy.
    The horns on Aqautic Mouth Dance really take it back to their OG sound. It sounds like a mature version on something from Freakey Styley.
    There are so many great hooks all over this thing like on She's a Lover, and what about that solo? And how it extends into the last chorus. That shit makes me smile.

The album reminds me of Blood Sugar Sex Magik. That album was pretty long as well, and had a bunch of mid tempo funk rock numbers that sounded a bit a like but that each had some sort of defining part that made them worth listening to,

Minor complaints include that the guitar seems to have the high frequencies rolled off a lot which sometimes makes it feel like it isn't there.
    Some songs don't need to do another verse and chorus.
    I don't like Veronica at all.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Finally got around to listening to the new album, and think it's a solid 3.5/5. It's totally what I was expecting, zero surprises. But if you like The RHCP, you will like this--so cliche, I knew I could write that even before listening to the album.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I didn't like the new record at first. It's grown on me in a huge way. I just have to tune out Anthony. The music is brilliant & Frusciante is playing some absolutely sick guitar.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Japanese Bonus Track... kinda meh, but the main riff is cool.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Japanese Bonus Track... kinda meh...
    In other words, it would have fit right on the album.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    Haha. I am a massive PJ fan and love Dance too. I guess it gave me a false expectation to expect something experimental. Interested to see what they do with Andrew Watt
    While I liked Gigaton, I felt that Eddie Vedder's Earthling from earlier this year was better. I really, really liked that album and think it's the best thing Vedder has done since the 90s.

As for the RHCP--maybe they need to work with a different producer. Someone who will say, "stop recycling the same shit."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    While I liked Gigaton, I felt that Eddie Vedder's Earthling from earlier this year was better. I really, really liked that album and think it's the best thing Vedder has done since the 90s.

As for the RHCP--maybe they need to work with a different producer. Someone who will say, "stop recycling the same shit."
    Earthling is great

Rick Rubin is boring but sadly i feel RHCP are too comfy with their sound and will stick to their safe sound

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Earthling is great

Rick Rubin is boring but sadly i feel RHCP are too comfy with their sound and will stick to their safe sound
    The record isn't bad but it's sooooo by-the-numbers. Rick Rubin has produced a lot of classics (BSSM is a masterpiece), but maybe he's just too much of a safe choice.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-29-2022 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    there are a few tunes on here that I would put up there with some of their all timers - really enjoying it. cut a couple tracks and this is perfection.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Even though it's in a stadium, I'm looking forward to seeing them with John back. I saw the last tour before COVID & it was pretty good but didn't really get me going like when I've seen them with John. Besides the guitars he really is a huge plus on the vocals. You can't get much more solid musically than RHCP with John & the current NIN touring band.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm not a chili fan at all but this is a really good interview with jack irons: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ummer-1339166/

i had no idea he was in a band with hillel and alain before.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Can't wait! Hope they do some of the new stuff when I see them in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Hoping its better than Unlimited Love.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Hoping its better than Unlimited Love.
    I didn't like Unlimited Love much when it came out. It has grown on me like a fungus, haha. I think pound for pound that RHCP & the current NIN touring lineup are the best bands out there musically. NIN gets the edge because Trent is a much better singer (putting it diplomatically). Give it another listen @GulDukat , real loud. You may be pleasantly surprised. Don't know what the laws are where you live but a bit of sacred herb beforehand is good. The record lends itself to that treatment.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    A double album again? There is no fucking way they have this many good songs. Half of Stadium Arcadium was easily forgettable, and they spent 4 years working on it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    A double album again? There is no fucking way they have this many good songs. Half of Stadium Arcadium was easily forgettable, and they spent 4 years working on it.
    Yes, there was too much of it but then again there are plenty of good songs they haven't played live much if at all. Maybe if it been the length of Unlimited Love (1 really full cd) it would've been better. The interaction between Flea & John is real special. I'd go as far as saying 2 genius musicians. Chad's a plenty good drummer, maybe not at that level. & then there's Anthony.....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wow, that is some ugly ass cover art!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Return of the Dream Canteen

Pre-order - released on: 10/14/2022

We went in search of ourselves as the band that we have somehow always been. Just for the fun of it we jammed and learned some old songs. Before long we started the mysterious process of building new songs. A beautiful bit of chemistry meddling that had befriended us hundreds of times along the way. Once we found that slip stream of sound and vision, we just kept mining. With time turned into an elastic waist band of oversized underwear, we had no reason to stop writing and rocking. It felt like a dream. When all was said and done, our moody love for each other and the magic of music had gifted us with more songs than we knew what to do with. Well we figured it out. 2 double albums released back to back. The second of which is easily as meaningful as the first or should that be reversed. 'Return of the Dream Canteen' is everything we are and ever dreamed of being. It’s packed.

Made with the blood of our hearts, yours truly,

the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    https://music.redhotchilipeppers.com...-dream-canteen

Track listing
    1 Tippa My Tongue
    2 Peace & Love
    3 Never Forget You
    4 The Great Divide
    5 Ready Or Not
    6 Looking For A Star
    7 No More Cloudy Days
    8 Better Than Forever
    9 Afterlife
    10 Shoot Me A Smile
    11 Handful
    12 The Drummer
    13 Bag of Grins
    14 Floating In Space
    15 Caught In The Undertow
    16 A Little Less Sixteen Candles
    17 Red Light Special

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Looks like the CD is a single album.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Indie exclusive version w/alt cover and gold LPs:

https://darksiderecords.com/UPC/093624868163

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzerabt View Post
    wow, that is some ugly ass cover art!
    qft

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    That's such weird cover art. Par for the course when considering how many other bad album covers they have.

Like.... what sort of ideas were presented to, and interpreted by the artist to make them come up with this, and then what was the band thinking when they saw it, and eventually approved it. That's what I wonder.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Like.... what sort of ideas were presented to, and interpreted by the artist to make them come up with this, and then what was the band thinking when they saw it, and eventually approved it. That's what I wonder.
    The platypus arrrrre few.

Honestly, though? My guess would be "look at these strange 70s.album covers. Can we sort of modernize that?"

Also, a ten strip of high powered blotter acid, perhaps?