Thread: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    It's true though.

Navarro is a far more skilled guitar player than Frusciante. Even when Navarro was as fucked up on heroin as Frusiciante, he was still killing him technically. Listen to Navarro's playing on OHM and its b-sides from that era and compare them with John's solo stuff from that same time period. The difference is striking: one guy (Navarro) is playing some of his best licks to date at that point, while the other guy (burnout John) is writing albums of meandering guitar noodlings.

Every RHCP album John has played on just sounds like a variant of BSSM. The same 'ping-ping-ping' guitar tone across every album. He has never played on an RHCP song as alive and as varied as 'Warped', 'Deep Kick' or 'Transcending'
    They're both very skilled guitarists. Why compare them so, at a particular moment in time? John had been in the band, fell out for serious reasons, then he got his shit back, and started whipping out strong material on the solo front. I'm really defending him as an artist apart from any band collaborating, because I feel he's a fucking god songwriter.
    Last edited by Amaro; 08-06-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I dont think it's fair to rate Navarro and Frusciante. They are both excellent from a technical stand point where Dave was always more rooted in metal than John's Hendrix influence.

I always read that the problem they had with OHM was that Dave didn't want to jam and was more comfortable experimenting and writing in the studio. I think Flea mentioned that they never felt Dave was operating at 100 percent during their time together. Also it sound like it was a dark time for the band heroin wise... so maybe they don't like to revisit those times.

OHM is a great album, their darkest, heaviest and most interesting. I do feel that it is the most inconsistent of their albums from the 90s era. There are great moments on there but as far as song writing goes, there were a lot of patchy areas.

I dont how anyone can hate on One Big Mob.... that long breakdown in the middle with the sounds of the baby crying.... Beautiful.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    OHM is a great album, their darkest, heaviest and most interesting.
    Absolutely. To me One Hot Minute brought the band back to that edgy, bizarre and twisted place where they were when I first found them. John's amazing contributions, as much as I love them, didn't quite create the darkness that OHM displays. It's tribal, eccentric, heavy and probably some of the band's and Navarro's best work ever. I've been playing it all day and it doesn't disappoint in any way.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I should also mention that Chad Smith owns OHM. Probably his best drum outing on any RHCP record.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I dont how anyone can hate on One Big Mob.... that long breakdown in the middle with the sounds of the baby crying.... Beautiful.
    The lyrics always bothered me and the chorus has no balls (aw yeah, aw yeah). Plus I always found the "I Am, You Are, Me" part to be off-putting and out of context on OHM (perhaps it would have been a better fit on Mother's Milk).

The breakdown that you are referring to, is pretty cool though.