Page 56 of 122 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 3654

Thread: Coronavirus - COVID-19

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post

I hated him in the '90s. I hated him in the '00s, when he was ruining Twitter as it got off the ground. I hate him now and I can't get away from him. I cannot stand feeling like this all the time, every day.

I've hated him since I was a child, and I was getting into reading books. There was a copy of Art of the Deal, bestseller, lying on the table at the barber shop, and I picked it up. After reading about five pages while waiting around for my haircut, I was confused why anyone would care what this asshole thought about anything. I've despised him ever since. He's epitomized what I think is a shitty human being forever. I cannot stand that he is president. It fucking sucks so bad.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    don't those Confederate waving idiots realize they are technically waving a flag of another country? Confederate States of America. sure it wasn't OFFICIAL but still. the confederates truly did not consider themselves at part of America. so these fucking Confederate assholes out here are like "GOD BLESS AMERICA" "I LOVE MY COUNTRY" ...you're certainly NOT supporting the United States of America. so they can take their false patriotism and shove it up their ass all the way to 1861.

sorry (not sorry) , I'm in a mood today!!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    If there was a god, the virus would have already forced him into a permanent six foot social distancing from grass.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've hated him since I was a child, and I was getting into reading books. There was a copy of Art of the Deal, bestseller, lying on the table at the barber shop, and I picked it up. After reading about five pages while waiting around for my haircut, I was confused why anyone would care what this asshole thought about anything. I've despised him ever since. He's epitomized what I think is a shitty human being forever. I cannot stand that he is president. It fucking sucks so bad.
    He didn’t even WRITE those books.

I point out to my husband, all the time, stuff Trump does and says that demonstrates that Trump still thinks he’s running a commercial business, vs. being in politics. The whole “show appreciation” shit, for instance. That’s absolutely true in business, especially real estate development. You have to do favors and get favors back. You can’t piss everyone off and keep your supply chains open. You need people who appreciate you, and people you appreciate. But, he can’t transfer that world to politics and especially not as President. He just doesn’t get it.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-17-2020 at 08:10 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    He didn’t even WRITE those books.
    We all know that NOW, but back then, it was the glossed up version that we were supposed to love, and I still hated it. As a kid. I've always looked at Donald Trump as the real version of capitalist evil... and now he's fucking president and we're all under quarantine and everything sucks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    holy shit presidential tweets are you fucking kidding me what the fuck?!?!?!?! "LIBERATE MICHIGAN" ?!?!?!?!?!

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Coronavirus - COVID-19

We all know that NOW, but back then, it was the glossed up version that we were supposed to love, and I still hated it. As a kid. I've always looked at Donald Trump as the real version of capitalist evil... and now he's fucking president and we're all under quarantine and everything sucks.
    My parents were so poor I tried to read the book when I was 11 or 12 so that I too could get rich. I don’t think I finished it. He used to be on lifestyles of the rich and famous sometimes too. I thought he was an expert rich guy. It wasn’t until the apprentice that I realized that he was just an asshole.

Back on topic, if the asshole wants to open the country, he needs to get tests everywhere. Why he hasn’t yet is beyond me! We’re 5 weeks into the shut down and it’s still hard to get a test. It makes no sense that testing isn’t accessible.

The numbers last night were 32,000 dead. So sad and so scary. He really doesn’t care if anyone lives or dies unless they’re a Steinbrenner.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    I don't understand why the front page of the numbers on google, that says it's updated through Wikipedia, has gone out of sync with other sets of numbers. At some point yesterday, they ratcheted back from ~36,000 to ~32,000.
    Yeah I just saw 36,000 on twitter after I posted this morning. The numbers are brutal either way. Trump’s lack of sympathy/empathy with numbers like that is just gut wrenching.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    Yeah I just saw 36,000 on twitter after I posted this morning. The numbers are brutal either way. Trump’s lack of sympathy/empathy with numbers like that is just gut wrenching.
    Someone suggested to me the other day that we should follow Sweden's approach, which has been "super effective" and "way better than any other country" handling a virus "with a .00000002% mortality rate".

When I pointed out that .01% of Sweden's entire population has already died from the virus and wanted to know why this person preferred that number to the one he made up, his response was - and I quote - "that's not really that bad a number".

This is the mentality we're up against. A percentage of an entire country's population that can be measured to just two decimal places has died and the response is "so?"
    Last edited by theimage13; 04-18-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A bunch of local municipalities here in Illinois have enacted ordinances requiring people to wear masks in public places. My city's goes into effect on April 20th.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I don't know how to do this anymore. Do I just disconnect the internet and hide my phone under my bed
    Yes. Only look at the news you need, local news that directly affects you. Or, don't watch any news at all. Do some serious curating. And remember that MAGA people are scared. They thought they had 2020 in the bag, and this threatens their fiefdom. So, of course they're going to rebel against someone toppling their White Supremacy. That's been a given all along. The difference is that now they're gonna die from a virus. This is natural selection, in biblical proportions.

Just worry about yourself and your wife, protect yourself. Don't worry about all that other noise.

Think of it as the Walking Dead, and they're all zombies and you're holed up protecting yourself from the zombies and the virus. Eventually, you'll be able to come back out into the sunshine. You can open a window, listen to some music, watch movies, grow some herbs in your apartment, and wait for this to pass.

I'm seeing this as totally changing capitalism, and that's what the rich fear most, and they're passing that fear down to their sycophantic base.

My brother texted me the other day saying he misses shopping at Kohl's. Mostly for completely useless shit. The Governor of Michigan had to shut down certain types of purchases not because people might die planting grass seed, but because people were spending HOURS at Home Depot aimlessly wandering around pretending to be shopping for gardening supplies because they're lost without a connection to mindless commerce. (Talk about Walking Dead.)

They haven't figured out that you can order nearly all of that shit online. You can buy MORE shit online from Kohl's, Target, even Walmart, than you can in their brick-and-mortar stores. They're competing with Amazon so they had to move in that direction.

This is pointing to many things:

1) People are slowly figuring out that they don't have to shop in actual stores
    2) People are slowly figuring out that they don't have to eat at restaurants all the time and can spend quality time with their families at home making home-cooked meals
    3) People are saving money not spending it on all kinds of useless shit
    4) E commerce is through the roof
    5) Curbside pickup may be a permanent thing in many if not all industries
    6) Employment in many of these industries may never come back, people may never want to go back to the "old" way, and these fat cats at the top may not be as fat, anymore

#6 makes plenty of people at the top very scared, so they're circulating propaganda.

Lindsey Graham was on Sunday shows saying he wants to get SC working, again. Asked how or under what circumstances, he gave an example of a BMW plant in SC and if there is a lot more testing, the workers at BMW could be tested before being allowed to work.

But, that's just Kabuki Theater capitalism.

Who's gonna BUY those cars, Lindsey? There's a fucking TON of BMWs on the lots right now, waiting to be bought. A SURPLUS. Why in the fuck would BMW want to make new cars? With unemployed people not BUYING cars?

Oh, yeah, you must own STOCK in BMW, Lindsey! Or, your voters are so fucking stupid that they think "Plant open, economy: Good!"
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Now, along with all my personal shit, we have armed, Confederate flag-waving anti-vaxxers wandering the steps of Detroit city hall while Utah talk radio hosts get equal airtime with the country's leading epidemiologist—who's now an enemy of the state for contradicting the president and making science-based epidemic-related recommendations—to say stuff like, "Why ruin our lives to keep us safe? Give me a three-day virus, I'm totally cool with that, just don't ruin my life to do it."
    And this, as of a month ago, would have read like something completely hysterical or science fiction.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    This—Putin leverages coronavirus chaos to make a direct play to Trump—and especially this—MAGA world finds its coronavirus scapegoat—is the kind of shit that has me thinking about suicide at eight in the morning every day now. I don't know how to do this anymore. Do I just disconnect the internet and hide my phone under my bed and tell my wife she can't talk to me about it? It's been a dark three years for me independent of plague and the administration.

Now, along with all my personal shit, we have armed, Confederate flag-waving anti-vaxxers wandering the steps of Detroit city hall while Utah talk radio hosts get equal airtime with the country's leading epidemiologist—who's now an enemy of the state for contradicting the president and making science-based epidemic-related recommendations—to say stuff like, "Why ruin our lives to keep us safe? Give me a three-day virus, I'm totally cool with that, just don't ruin my life to do it."

I don't think I've been this mentally unhealthy since 2007.
    I’m sure my husband told me the WHO had actually advised people to get off social media - but I tried to look it up for a link and all I can find is their social media channels and loads of other guff. He says it was at the beginning of the lockdown and I believe him.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    You know what’s funny? This is the closest thing to social media I participate in. No Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tiktok, Snapchat, or other boards. No radio or regular TV. Just reasonably centrist news sites. And I feel that bludgeoned by this shit.

I cannot even fathom what it must be like being on Facebook or Twitter right now.
    In all honesty, this is probably as negative as other places right now because it’s people venting. I mean fans of NIN are hardly going to be ‘the glass is half full’ types are they?. I wish there was a way of just shutting off a thread on here so you just don’t see it but I don’t think that’s doable. You can ignore people but it still shows you they’ve posted and is like an invitation to view which can be irresistible

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    There was a “forget” thread toggle option for users in other UNIX boards I used to run, but I’m not sure it’s an option with vBulletin. I was just wishing the exact same thing last night. I think you may be able to via Tapatalk? But I really don’t like tapatalk.

My IG feed is 98% politics free and today I’m going to dump a few and make it 100%. My FB feed is 100% positive.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-18-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Reporter reads Gov. Cuomo a whiny toilet tweet from the pres and asks for a response. Cuomo gives a calm, articulate, fact-based rebuttal - for about 15 minutes.

That response would've gotten a damn standing ovation if it was in front of an audience.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I know the reaction I have to this guy and I try so hard to moderate it. Today is really pushing my limits. Donald Trump makes other people worse just by being alive himself.

Surprised people liked this.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    COVID-19 Has Infected and Killed Black People At Alarming Rates. This Data Proves It. It’s time for “an ethical reckoning.”

In 18 of the 23 states plus DC for which a usable racial breakdown of fatality data was provided, Black people likewise make up a disproportionately large share of coronavirus fatalities. In Michigan, Black people are 14 percent of the state’s population but 33 percent of its coronavirus cases and 40 percent of its deaths. In Wisconsin, Black people are six percent of the state’s population but 25 percent of its coronavirus cases and 39 percent of its deaths.

How racism and poverty made Detroit a new coronavirus hot spot

”This virus is holding up a mirror to our society and reminding us of deep inequities in our country,” Whitmer said in a statement. “From basic lack of access to health care, transportation, and protections in the workplace, these inequities hit people of color and vulnerable communities the hardest.”

THE COLOR OF CORONAVIRUS

The COVID-19 mortality rate for Black Americans is 2.8 times higher than the rate for Asians, 3 times higher than the rate for Latinos, and 3.6 times higher than the rate for White Americans, who have seen the lowest mortality rates (expressed as a rate per 100,000 residents). For each 100,000 Americans, about 14 Blacks have died, along with 5 Asians, 5 Latinos, and 4 Whites.

Covid-19’s devastating toll on black and Latino Americans, in one chart; The US health system has failed black and Latino populations for decades. Now they’re paying the price.

Starting in New York City, the American epicenter of the outbreak: Black New Yorkers are dying at twice the rate of their white peers; Latinos in the city are also succumbing to the virus at a much higher rate than white or Asian New Yorkers. The same trends can be seen in infection and hospitalization rates, too.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-19-2020 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the headlines are eye opening. I shared some of this with my gf (who is black) and she said : "this isn't news to the black community, and it's not surprising, and most likely, nothing will change. I haven't seen a white bus driver in my neighborhood in 20 years. The supermarket down the block is 100% Spanish employees. There's 4 fast food places around the corner, staff that is just people of color at those places, with people walking through the drive thrus because they don't drive" She says that of course the virus has no racial preference but "poor healthcare for us is systematic and by design, just like poor education as well as us working jobs like that" .

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    the headlines are eye opening. I shared some of this with my gf (who is black) and she said : "this isn't news to the black community, and it's not surprising, and most likely, nothing will change. I haven't seen a white bus driver in my neighborhood in 20 years. The supermarket down the block is 100% Spanish employees. There's 4 fast food places around the corner, staff that is just people of color at those places, with people walking through the drive thrus because they don't drive" She says that of course the virus has no racial preference but "poor healthcare for us is systematic and by design, just like poor education as well as us working jobs like that" .
    None of these headlines are intended for black people.

They’re all intended for white people, to wake them the fuck up.

I’ve known this shit for my whole damned life, and I’m white; but I’m from Detroit.

But those Confederate-flag-waving hillbillies in Michigan’s capital don’t give a fuck if black people die.

They also don’t give a shit if they kill healthcare workers. They want a haircut!
    Last edited by allegro; 04-19-2020 at 05:09 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Not sure if people know about this, here. It’s important information:

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’

In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

Seven days before Donald Trump took office, his aides faced a major test: the rapid, global spread of a dangerous virus in cities like London and Seoul, one serious enough that some countries were imposing travel bans.

In a sober briefing, Trump’s incoming team learned that the disease was an emerging pandemic — a strain of novel influenza known as H9N2 — and that health systems were crashing in Asia, overwhelmed by the demand.

“Health officials warn that this could become the worst influenza pandemic since 1918,” Trump’s aides were told. Soon, they heard cases were popping up in California and Texas.

The briefing was intended to hammer home a new, terrifying reality facing the Trump administration, and the incoming president’s responsibility to protect Americans amid a crisis. But unlike the coronavirus pandemic currently ravaging the globe, this 2017 crisis didn’t really happen — it was among a handful of scenarios presented to Trump’s top aides as part of a legally required transition exercise with members of the outgoing administration of Barack Obama.

And in the words of several attendees, the atmosphere was “weird” at best, chilly at worst.

POLITICO obtained documents from the meeting and spoke with more than a dozen attendees to help provide the most detailed reconstruction of the closed-door session yet. It was perhaps the most concrete and visible transition exercise that dealt with the possibility of pandemics, and top officials from both sides — whether they wanted to be there or not — were forced to confront a whole-of-government response to a crisis. The Trump team was told it could face specific challenges, such as shortages of ventilators, anti-viral drugs and other medical essentials, and that having a coordinated, unified national response was “paramount” — warnings that seem eerily prescient given the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

But roughly two-thirds of the Trump representatives in that room are no longer serving in the administration. That extraordinary turnover in the months and years that followed is likely one reason his administration has struggled to handle the very real pandemic it faces now, former Obama administration officials said.

“The advantage we had under Obama was that during the first four years we had the same White House staff, the same Cabinet,” said former deputy labor secretary Chris Lu, who attended the gathering. “Just having the continuity makes all the difference in the world.”

Sean Spicer, Trump’s first White House press secretary, was among those who participated in the meeting. He said he understood the reasons such exercises could be useful, but described the encounter as a massive transfer of information that ultimately felt very theoretical. In real life, things are never as simple as what’s presented in a table-top exercise, he said.

“There’s no briefing that can prepare you for a worldwide pandemic,” added Spicer, who left the administration in mid-2017.

The outgoing Obama aides and incoming Trump aides gathered for roughly three hours on the afternoon of Friday, Jan. 13, 2017, in the Eisenhower Executive Office Building next to the White House.

At least 30 representatives of Trump’s team — many of them soon-to-be Cabinet members — were present, each sitting next to their closest Obama administration counterpart. Incoming Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross appeared to keep dozing off. Incoming Energy Secretary Rick Perry was getting along famously with Ernest Moniz, the man he was replacing, several fellow participants said.

But it was clear some on the Trump team had barely, if ever, spoken with the people they were replacing. News had broken that same day about national security adviser Michael Flynn’s unusual contacts with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, so his presence in the meeting added to the surrealness. Some members of both groups kept going in and out of the room, but most paid quiet attention to the presentations, which were led by top Obama aides.

Obama aides, in op-eds and essays ripping the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus, officially called COVID-19, have pointed to the Jan. 13, 2017, session as a key example of their effort to press the importance of pandemic preparedness to their successors.

In a Friday op-ed, Susan Rice, Obama’s national security adviser, blasted Trump for comments such as “you can never really think” that a pandemic like the coronavirus “is going to happen.” She mentioned the 2017 session as one of many instances of the Obama administration’s efforts to help its successor be ready for such a challenge. She also slammed the Trump team for dismantling the National Security Council section that would play a lead role in organizing the U.S. response to a global pandemic.

“Rather than heed the warnings, embrace the planning and preserve the structures and budgets that had been bequeathed to him, the president ignored the risk of a pandemic,” Rice wrote. (Trump’s former national security adviser John Bolton, who oversaw the dissolution of the NSC’s global health security and biodefense section, has defended it as necessary streamlining, countering that global health “remained a top NSC priority.” Trump, when recently asked about the reshuffling, called the question “nasty” and said, “I don’t know anything about it.”)

The Obama and Trump teams met in the afternoon, sitting around tables arranged in a rectangle. Participants were given a binder of unclassified materials titled “Presidential Transition Exercise Series,” the contents of which were obtained by POLITICO. The purpose of the exercise, the documents state, was to “familiarize” the incoming team with “domestic incident management policy and practices and continuity of government programs” in case it faced a major crisis. One key goal was to explain to participants the various legal authorities they had to pursue a response, and which agencies had which capabilities and responsibilities. The references provided included detailed explanations of numerous laws and regulations that might affect their work, such as the Oil Pollution Act of 1990.

Aside from the H9N2 pandemic exercise, the participants discussed the case study of how the Obama administration handled Hurricane Sandy in 2012. One section covered a potential cyber incident. Another went through how to respond to a domestic terrorism incident, in this case one carried out by a group of U.S. citizens who placed bombs in nearby spots during a major sporting event in a U.S. city. The terror squad not only detonates the bombs, it also engages in a mass shooting and takes a dozen hostages.

Using the materials, Monaco led the discussion. Her incoming counterpart, Tom Bossert, acted as a “semi co-chair,” attendees said. Ross, the then 79-year-old incoming Commerce secretary, was spotted with his eyes closed on more than one occasion. Elaine Chao, tapped to run the Department of Transportation, paid close attention. Several attendees noted the tense body language between Rice and Flynn, who lasted only a few weeks as Trump’s national security adviser and was ousted amid questions over his dealings with Russian officials.

And then there was the Energy Department duo: Perry, the incoming secretary who previously served as the governor of Texas, and Moniz, the outgoing secretary and famed physicist. The pair seemed to get along fabulously, which stood out to other attendees given the overall distrust between the two teams and the fact that Perry had once proposed getting rid of the Energy Department altogether.

It was a “semi-bizarro lovefest” between the two, a fellow participant said. “They were ready to go make a buddy movie.”

Perry didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. But in a statement, Moniz, who now leads the Energy Futures Initiative, said, “It is correct that [Perry] and I offered relevant perspectives from a governor’s and Cabinet secretary’s seat, respectively. As governor of Texas for a long time, Perry had been through many episodes needing crisis management.”

For the most part, however, the Trump team was in receive mode.

Partly, that was not a surprise: Many of Trump’s personnel choices had little or no government experience, and the Obama aides were presenting massive troves of information to them about how a raft of agencies had to work together to respond to various crises.

Multiple current and former Trump officials reached by POLITICO said they did not recall much about the briefing. But some Obama aides who attended said they were left with the impression that many of the Trump aides showed up to simply check off a box more than to learn. The impression was boosted in part because the transition overall was going so poorly. Several Trump nominees had barely even spoken to their Obama counterparts.
    Last edited by allegro; 04-19-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diptych View Post
    ok, why? Maybe you should write something people like instead, because you've clearly got your finger on the pulse of that.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Why don't you tell us why you're so surprised. I bet you're gonna love the responses you get.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    ok, why? Maybe you should write something people like instead, because you've clearly got your finger on the pulse of that.
    I guess I figured my fellow NIN fans would be a bit more civilised than wishing your president dead. Guess I was wrong. My bad.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I don't mean this in a disrespectful way, so please don't take it as such. If you lived here in America, you would agree. I don't wish death upon anyone, with just one exception. I admit, that doesn't make me feel good...but if you just saw the crap that is going on due to him in person,not the internet...you'd agree.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I guess I figured my fellow NIN fans would be a bit more civilised than wishing your president dead. Guess I was wrong. My bad.
    Picture a mass shooter. Police snipers could take him out. Do you want them to take the shot, or do you want the shooter to keep spraying bullets into the crowd?

None of us are saying we want to kill the guy. We just know that without him, lives would be saved. And we like the idea of lives being saved. Not sure what's uncivilized about that.

In other news...between this and the zombie apocalypse protest photo from the other day, we're getting some stuff that will be studied by future photojournalists coming out of this pandemic. The latest: Denver nurse blocking a nutjob right-wing protestor.

Last edited by theimage13; 04-20-2020 at 07:20 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Plain and simple: He's an erratic cult leader that's endangering the lives of billions, yours included.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Plain and simple: He's an erratic cult leader that's endangering the lives of billions, yours included.
    You actually make a good point; encouraging Americans to "liberate", which has spurred protests across the US is only making matters worse by increasing the chances/likelihood for the virus to spread, which in turn means that those Americans might travel abroad and spread it to other countries.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    The trump administration is making a disaster even worse. The time for civility is gone. He’s letting people die and endangering our frontline workers by not providing the equipment they need to protect themselves. We’re almost 6 weeks into this and people still can’t get tested when they’re showing symptoms. Fuck him and fuck anyone who blindly supports him.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    yet another co-worker lost a parent. that's now 8 co-workers who lost parents in the past 3 weeks. I also spoke to a co-worker who was positive and survived it. he shared his experience, and it was HORRIFYING. he nearly died. he's recovering now, but it was close.