Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghosts V: Together & Ghosts VI: Locusts

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Trent described it as avant-garde and Locusts could fit that bill. Could. I don't speak with any knowledge or authority, just noticed the similarity with how it lined up with how I would imagine that score could sound.

https://collider.com/trent-reznor-at...ore-cancelled/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well, I think I did it right today.

My first listen to Together was while driving around through deserted Kansas City soaking up the weirdness of an empty city at rush hour.

I waited until late to listen to Locusts. I've got all the windows open, lights off, couple of candles burning, thunder storm poppin' off outside, and I can't help but both albums were introduced to me in extremely fitting ways today.

What a time to be alive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It’s been added to Apple Music. Time for a listen before bed

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    EXTREMELY into this. Thank you so much, TR&AR.

(I do kind of miss some of the conceits of I-IV -- numbered tracks & individual track art -- but on the other hand, I'm just thrilled to have a second installment 12 years later!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not the biggest fan of Ghost V, but Ghost VI is amazing and is definitely the best out of the Ghosts I-VI series.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Sheesh, TURN THIS OFF PLEASE is ridiculously good.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I prefer Locusts too, by far.
    As of now I think comparing TR/AR's score work and NIN instrumentals are pointless, maybe aside from Watchmen.
    I for one sure can't notice any differences, probably because movies are usually not my thing.
    If one of the Bad Witch instrumentals were included in Locusts I sure couldn't tell. Bird Box could've been Ghosts V/VI.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    I prefer Locusts too, by far.
    As of now I think comparing TR/AR's score work and NIN instrumentals are pointless, maybe aside from Watchmen.
    I for one sure can't notice any differences, probably because movies are usually not my thing.
    If one of the Bad Witch instrumentals were included in Locusts I sure couldn't tell. Bird Box could've been Ghosts V/VI.
    See, I have this thing where I can't REALLY get into the score work, because it's made to fit someone else's vision.
    And that's funny, because it doesn't change the sound of the music.
    It's all in the presentation and perception, I guess, for me.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Some dude at Reddit is sharing FLACs from Deezer. I would post the link but I'm not sure about the rules on that.

** Edit ** Fuck it...

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/comment...i_flac_option/

Last edited by nmitchell86; 03-27-2020 at 12:55 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    One more thought after listening to this... remember the Ghosts Film Fest that never was? With all the empty city streets thers's lots of oppertunity to capture some great footage for a Ghosts V-VI Film Fest.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Does anyone think this was the suprise they had instore for SXSW that was canceled?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I just fucking came

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Ghosts VI: Locusts is the closest NIN has ever come to sounding like RIO bands, like Univers Zero or Art Zoyd. I don't think the genre has been a conscious reference, but this is by no means a bad thing. There are shades of Miles Davis in the trumpet parts, too.

I sure wasn't expecting anything like this.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-27-2020 at 02:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could someone provide the alternate download links please?

Might be a good idea to add them to the original post.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    May have missed this, but what is the betting line that Locusts is secretly the soundtrack to "The Woman in the Window?"
    That was my feeling, but I only got halfway through before life commitments. So let's try this again at 4 am.

The people talking about their tinnitus going crazy during "Hope We Can Again", did your heads explode during "The Cursed Clock"? I know it's different frequencies, but that is semi-painful.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I’m seeing “Turn This Off Please” being stylised all in capitals on certain Soulseek sources (had to resort to that because my nin.com download link is giving me a 404 not found error).

Is it indeed meant to be “TURN THIS OFF PLEASE” or not? @piggy

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I’m seeing “Turn This Off Please” being stylised all in capitals on certain Soulseek sources (had to resort to that because my nin.com download link is giving me a 404 not found error).

Is it indeed meant to be “TURN THIS OFF PLEASE” or not? @piggy
    Those two titles are not shown that way on Apple Music, which is odd because it has the all caps titles from Watchmen.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yes - that's also how it's tagged in the official mp3s, and how it appears on Spotify. OUT IN THE OPEN from Ghosts V: Together is also all-caps.
    It is not tagged that way in the official mp3's. It seems to be a streaming quirk only.

That probably came off mean, just wanted to be direct.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Yes - that's also how it's tagged in the official mp3s, and how it appears on Spotify. OUT IN THE OPEN from Ghosts V: Together is also all-caps.
    Thanks! Should I tag both tracks in capitals and edit it on ninwiki?

Should we also add a note that “Another Crashed Car” could allude to the Bowie song “Always Crashing In The Same Car”?
    @piggy @sheepdean
    Last edited by Erneuert; 03-27-2020 at 06:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don’t know how I feel about the albums. For me it’s nothing new. I need a little more structure. Same samples that drags for 10 minutes and nothing happens. Nothing really struck me as “wow”. Same old tr and aticus. I listened to it once and I have no incentive to repeat it.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Thanks! Should I tag both tracks in capitals and edit it on ninwiki?

Should we also add a note that “Another Crashed Car” could allude to the Bowie song “Always Crashing In The Same Car”?
    @piggy @sheepdean
    I like a lyrical allusion!

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I guess I’ll keep them without caps until we get further info.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I guess I’ll keep them without caps until we get further info.
    Official downloads: No
    Apple Music: No
    iTunes Store: No

Spotify: Yes
    Amazon Music: Yes
    Deezer: Yes
    YouTube Music: Yes
    TIDAL: Yes
    Pandora: Yes

YouTube (Nine Inch Nails channel): Yes and No [the ones with the suffix (Audio Only) do not contain stylized capitalization]

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Man, I hate being that one guy but here goes anyways.

Let me just start out by saying, im so happy to have some new NIN during these times. Waking up to see all these new songs on youtube got my so excited and i rushed over here to see what was going on. I got on the website and i got my download.

And i have to say......this was very painful to listen too....and no i don't mean because the tracks are bad, but i literally mean it was painful to listen to because a lot of these songs were hell on my ears. Almost every song on Together was hard on my ears, and don't get me started on "Hope WE Can AGain", I really hope he does not do THAT again. Funny how the song that caused my ears the most physical pain is on the hopeful, optimistic album of the two. Another thing I didn't really like on Together was a lack of variety. Much of Together can be summed up as "Piano and Atmospheric Droning." Part of the reason the other Ghosts were so interesting was all the experimentation. There was a variety of synths,piano, guitars, bass, noise, madolins, banjo's, a random video of kids in Bioshock Cosplay and fucking Saddam Hussans fucking trail. And there wasn't really much of that at all, except for "Still Right Here" where it just randomly changes into a different song. One more thing that bothered me was how.....long...these songs are. With all the lack of anything interesting to say about these songs, the fact they stretch to the 13 min mark is just.....why? Cut these down in half and they would work so much better. I don't mind a long song if it can keep me interested, but in my opinion, none of the songs got me like that.

Now, Locusts is much better than Together IMO, there is a lot more variety and i do like it's darker mood, but trying to freak me out is like trying to make Freddy Kruger have a nightmare. It very rarely happens as i am notoriously stone fucking cold and really hard to freak out. But again, the ear aches with songs like "The Cursed Clock", "Around Every Corner", "Just Breathe". And "So Tired" are just hell on my ears, even worse since my hearing is very sensitive due to have Aspergers. Also, again, some of these songs are too fucking long to remember anything about them.

Now look, I'm just being honest, I want to like these albums as much as you guys do, i really do.....but on these two, I did not enjoy the journey this time....so im going back on my cellphone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Cure Vs NIN :

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Official downloads: No
    Apple Music: No
    iTunes Store: No

Spotify: Yes
    Amazon Music: Yes
    Deezer: Yes
    YouTube Music: Yes
    TIDAL: Yes
    Pandora: Yes

YouTube (Nine Inch Nails channel): Yes and No [the ones with the suffix (Audio Only) do not contain stylized capitalization]
    Amazon UK is only one one track on each album https://amzn.to/33ReB7x https://amzn.to/2xwvCYl

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I am just here to say that I was wrong. Over the years people would speculate about sequels to Ghosts and I was just like “never going to happen”. I was SO wrong and I am so glad I was. What a treat.

also out today - wonder collaboration with Alessandro Cortini and Daniel Avery. Like REALLY good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It is not tagged that way in the official mp3's. It seems to be a streaming quirk only.

That probably came off mean, just wanted to be direct.
    No worries, man - absolutely no offence taken.

Sorry about that - you're absolutely right. The official mp3s don't have the all-caps titles. I'll edit my post

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Seems like an odd mistake. I WANT TO BELIEVE [the all caps mean something]!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Any chance that we could see these in a physical LP release in some form or fashion down the line? Figured it'd be nice to own, but not sure how much of a priority these ones would be for production at the moment.

I know we're still waiting on those Definitive Versions of The Slip and Year Zero.