Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I saw his new video last night. I can't believe it cost $13 to make.
    The dummies are from the aborted "The Pretty Things are Going to Hell" video. Each one cost 7,000 pounds to make. So...$13 maybe a tad off the mark.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uroboros View Post
    The dummies are from the aborted "The Pretty Things are Going to Hell" video. Each one cost 7,000 pounds to make. So...$13 maybe a tad off the mark.
    This and the photos were incredibly interesting. Thanks for that.

Recently, I've been listening to the Bowie at the Beeb collection that was released about a decade or so ago. It is fantastic to listen to all these songs in such a tight format, without any of the gimmickry, without anything but just the matchless music itself. This is probably my favorite performance of Ziggy Stardust.

And have you guys heard God Bless the Girl yet? It was released for the Japanese release of The Next Day and is on The Next Day Extra too. It's pretty great.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    honestly, what both @uroboros and i had mentioned about the dolls/projection techniques pretty much sums up what I don't really care for regarding most of bowie's work since hours and especially what i dislike about this modern album and era. people have always given bowie credit as an innovator and trend-setter, and i've always thought that was a generous and slightly inaccurate claim (bowie was always on the cutting edge, but was still following a lot of more pioneering artists even during the best of times). however, he was a game changer for a very long time, and still flirted with it in the 90s.

you can argue that his knack for trendchasing/setting was even further removed in the 90s, a little slower, a little less cutting edge and a little more grasping for straws after his rough 80s period. but i still loved outside and dug earthling. i'm not sure what happened, but soon after the gabrels partnership ended, it seemed like bowie began to really dig deep into the past, both channeling a series of regrets and faded memories, and the music has really started to suffer as a result. i like heathen, the songwriting strength more or less makes up for those nostalgic glasses, but most ofhours, reality, and the next day leave me cold and seem less sure of himself and more resting on his laurels. a few good songs on each of those records, but otherwise, i feel like bowie has lost the plot. see also the modern revamping of 'rebel rebel' (which was horrible) as well as the more singles-heavy setlists despite promising he wouldn't ever look back after sound & vision. i'm ok with him changing his mind on this and i've enjoyed hearing many of the classics at the show i saw at beacon theatre, but i digress.

anyway, these new videos, featuring dolls from the aborted pretty things video and projection techniques used as far back as earthling, not to mention the cover of the new record, the revamped boroughs photo from 73/74, etc. it all just seems a little too self-referential to accept. not that bowie hasn't earned the right to look back and reflect on his tremendous career, but it's not the kind of thing i look for or enjoy about bowie, thus i can't get behind it as easily.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)

David Bowie

Just a heads up, Music On Vinyl has repressed Earthling and Heathen on limited edition colored vinyl. I'm not 100% sure about heathen, but EArthling received two limited pressings out of 2500 each; one being green (1st press) and blue (2nd press).

I managed to snag a green pressing on Amazon and got #1678 - $34 shipped to my door on Halloween! Sure beats paying the prices that the original pressing was going for.....

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/david-bowi...t/USRV31300003

Can i just say, what in the FUCK are you thinking, david? seriously....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    http://www.vevo.com/watch/david-bowi...t/USRV31300003

Can i just say, what in the FUCK are you thinking, david? seriously....

Probably thought:
    David Bowie + Gary Oldman + Brutal religious imagery/commentary + Blood + Tits = Controversial Video

Aces all around.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    New Louis Vuitton ad with Bowie playing "I'd Rather Be High" on harpsichord, pretty sweet:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    "SOON"- that belongs to NIN Spotting, right?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    More new Bowie.... SWEET!!!!

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Hopefully with a proper artwork this time

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Thank you David, we were really in need for another singles compilation. New tracks are welcomed, but the whole thing is a blatant cashgrab.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    L@L if you think anything in the current music industry still counts as a cash grab. This actually looks like a pretty nice compilation (I should know, I drew up two vastly more extensive volumes upthread), but it's a pity they missed the awesome single remixes of "Real Cool World" and "I Can't Read".

Anyway Mr. Cashgrab, here's (almost) the whole thing on YouTube for free.
    Last edited by botley; 09-11-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    So, do the original mp3 files that leaked of the Outside outtakes not exist anymore? You know, the ones all the bootlegs used as a source?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...time-producer/

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo new Bowie soon according to Visconti. Can't wait to drown in Bowie soon

Haven't seen if this was posted: http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/1...s-arcade-fire/
    He doesn't even "slam" Arcade Fire. Just media doin' the usual.
    Last edited by icecream; 09-19-2014 at 06:54 PM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Talk about media doing the usual — CoS (and Pitchfork) picked up the above quote from CNN who were quoting Visconti quoting what Bowie already announced: two new songs. Not a whole album. Silly rabbits.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Saw a screening of the documentary about the 'David Bowie Is' exhibit that's currently on an international tour. I thought it was fantastic!

For someone such as myself who neither lives near a stop on the exhibit's tour nor am able to visit it, this was quite the treat. Not only do they lead your through the exhibit, which shows off many of his amazing costumes/outfits throughout the years, there's also vintage video clips of performances and present day thoughts from those who worked with Bowie or were influenced by him, such as Kansai Yamamoto and Pulp's Jarvis Cocker. There's close-ups of his handwritten lyrics too, which is fascinating; seeing the lyrics to something like Starman and see the scribbles where he hadn't quite gotten it right yet gives him a human quality I had never really experienced before.

If this is showing at a cinema near you and you're a Bowie fan, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Nice. Good to know because I just got tix to a Saturday showing.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I caught the documentary too, and loved it! I was curious to see how they'll going to represent the exhibit on the screen (since it's about the exhibit, not Bowie himself) and they did a beautiful job, very elegant. Highly recommended!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sound + Vision ​was re-released. Four discs of music for 30 bucks. Not bad.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    saw that in HMV and mistook it for "nothing has changed", but noticed the track listing was chronological and got confused

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I made a bunch of Bowie wallpapers for the iPhone 6 you can download them as a zip.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I'm really looking into either busing or flying to Chicago to see the David Bowie Is exhibition. Has anyone here seen it?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i saw it in toronto. very, very impressive and thorough. handwritten lyrics, old costumes, and never before seen footage... DEFINITELY worth the pilgrimage if you're a big fan!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I too saw the documentary the other day, and I'll attest that it's wonderful and a must-see for fans who can't get there.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell... looks like I'm going!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

<3

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    New Single Debuted

I dig it.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I like it too although I don't think David's vocals are as strong as I think it could be.