Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Next Day was him laying down his guitar for what may very well be his final era. Sue, ★ & Lazarus are db at an unparalleled artistic peak. Though some people will have preferences for earlier eras there is no naysaying the pure majesty of these compositions. I do not so humbly declare, is david bowie's best album.
    Last edited by uroboros; 12-17-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post

New song Lazarus. Bloody lovely it is too.
    it's great to hear this outside of the context of the play. when i first heard this, as sung by one of the characters, it didn't do much for me (or was too hard to enjoy considering how much i hated the play). this is amazing, however!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I fucking love the song. If this is his final album, then it's a hell of a way to go.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I am so confused by why this is a thing that is actually happening. Why the fuck is Dexter doing live appearances for Bowie on talk shows?

The song is fucking amazing though.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 12-18-2015 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I am so confused by why this is a thing that is actually happening. Why the fuck is Dexter doing live appearances for Bowie on talk shows?

well, he's the main star of lazarus, which was co-written by bowie and features this song plus many other classic bowie tunes as the soundtrack so it makes sense to try and promote the show. but it does sound like bowie isn't interested in the press junket, so i suppose that is a bit off.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm calling it..Blackstar is going to have a small tour with Michael C. Hall performing each night as Bowie...seing as Bowie is considering MCHall as his new "persona" ala Ziggy, Thin White Duke...

Teaser from the late show performance

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Lazarus is gorgeous!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I think Lazarus is breathtaking. Wonderful!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    Don't know why but I love that.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Merry Xmas to all....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    After watching that Lazarus video above, how has Bowie never done the Bond theme?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    You mean like this?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Bowie was actually supposed to play Max Zorin in A View to a Kill but turned it down because he didn't want to spend time watching his stuntman do most of the work.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Someone on 4chan on the music section just leaked the album via a vinyl rip. Quality is alright, not the best. Watch out though, there are plenty of fake links.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Someone on 4chan on the music section just leaked the album via a vinyl rip. Quality is alright, not the best. Watch out though, there are plenty of fake links.
    listening now, thanks for the heads up! sounds really good so far.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post

dude all i can figure is that they're friends and they think it's funny.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Isn't there a play called Lazarus? Maybe he's involved with that? Like the new album. Reminds me a lot of Outside and Earthling, but not entirely. It's definitely different.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Isn't there a play called Lazarus? Maybe he's involved with that?

Sorry, couldn't resist...yes Bowie wrote the play Lazarus. His music is the soundtrack...loosely based on The Man Who Fell To Earth.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Proper version is out now. I think it's sourced from the dl code that come with the vinyl. It's on What and it's 320kbps mp3s

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just heard it a few hours ago and... wow.... I like where he's going with this. If this is his last album, what a way to go. No one will ever touch him in terms of what he does as an artist.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    #NowPlaying Is it just me or is this extremely fucking brilliant? I loved the title track from the off, but Lazarus didn't quite grab me. Hearing it now in the context of the album though it sounds a great deal better, and this new Sue is blowing my mind. I do still have a certain attachment to the old 'Tis A Pity - just because I love the rawness. It was actually a demo version, right? But yeah, the new one is still great.
    I can't believe how different this is to The Next Day. That was a good album, but it was just missing something... this new one doesn't seem to be missing anything.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    New video

One thing I don't understand is why the 320kbps mp3 files going around now are so trebly. I'm pretty damn sure they're from the dl code from the vinyl. Somebody who encoded this files for that code must have fudged up because even the youtube versions sound better.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    New video

One thing I don't understand is why the 320kbps mp3 files going around now are so trebly. I'm pretty damn sure they're from the dl code from the vinyl. Somebody who encoded this files for that code must have fudged up because even the youtube versions sound better.
    Queue going back in closet joke.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Loving the new video. Quite excited to finally hear the album in full.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I found the video to be heart wrenching.

Bowie pulled a Johnny Cash (the guy who wrote hurt.)

I get a "i'm gonna die pretty soon" vibe from Lazarus and the video reinforced it.

In cash's hurt cover, he closed the piano at the end, and i took it to be coffin imagery.

Same goes for bowie getting in that wardrobe. imho.

edit: oh, and for the love of god, i wish he'd quit wearing that nightmare fuel over his eyes in these videos ;P

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    @elevenism you could also take it being representative of retiring the character/"outfit" of David Bowie, in a sense, considering it's a wardrobe. Naming it Lazarus, after someone who (at least in the myth) dies and is then resurrected, could be more talking about Bowie "dying" in the cultural or character sense and then reviving in the personal sense. Even the Blackstar video has a dead spaceman, which if that's not Major Tom imagery, then fuck me. It seems a lot like burying/letting the legacy go and becoming more of his own individual again rather than dying in a literal, physical sense to me, though I'm sure there's got to be echoes of that in there, considering his age alone.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, this album is great. I wasn't too big on The Next Day besides a few tracks, but this is immense. I love that it seems to have a somewhat sinister vibe like Outside.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Holy fuck, this album is great. I wasn't too big on The Next Day besides a few tracks, but this is immense. I love that it seems to have a somewhat sinister vibe like Outside.
    Exactly opposite opinion from me. Thought "The Next Day" was a spectacular comeback album. Loved everything about it. So after loving that record so much, naturally, I had high hopes for this one, but I can't stand this record at all... This is not music to my ears what-so-ever.