Page 22 of 84 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yes The Next Day is OK album, but this is so much better! I only seen/heard both videos, and both quite grabbed me pretty good. We will remember these days as good old days one day.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Yes The Next Day is OK album, but this is so much better! I only seen/heard both videos, and both quite grabbed me pretty good. We will remember these days as good old days one day.
    We Will Remember These Days As The Good Old Days One Day

sounds like an album title/song title

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Well, i watched the lazarus video this morning and then i HAD to check out the record. i'm guilty of a sneak peak.

and GOOD GOD, i didn't expect it to be that good!

Jesus, the band alone! Live drum and bass!

I think the last song purposely echoes the last "normal" song on low, "a new career in a new town" i think it was? The horns do anyway.
    @kleiner352 , you just blew my mind by the way.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    After my first listen... liking it. A lot, actually. Got to admire the man's ambition, vision and integrity. This embodies exactly what I wish more artists would do. Just give a fuck about expectations, image, whatever... record a few, "thanks, gotta move to the next though!".

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    On the second track.

This is incredible. Out of a sprawling discography I've found the majority to be great and many to be masterpieces; TND felt great to me, but this is totally shaping up to be the latter. This is doing what all my favorite Bowie albums have done and that's take me to another planet and give me the guided tour. How the fuck does this guy keep doing it? Can science just make it their goal to preserve him at all costs?

Edit: If that harmonica on I Can't Give Everything Away isn't somehow a reference to New Career from Low then I'm going to lose my mind. Who the hell pulls an album off like this at the age he's at, really? Has anyone at this point in their career done something this incredible?
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 01-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Wonderful album. I love it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I'll be stunned if anyone releases anything better than this this year. Everything I love about Bowie on full-display.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This is great! I've listened twice Lready

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    had this on repeat all day in work today. The Next Day sounded pretty vital and alive in parts, if it was a little long in places, but Blackstar is tight, concise and feels like an artist at the top of his game. Really something special.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Listened through twice so far but miles ahead of The Next Day. I could probably listen to the title track all day but "Sue (Or In A Season Of Crime)" stands out so far. Maybe it's the saxophone bits but does not remind anyone of Black Tie, White Noise?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Had a couple of listens today, absolutely in love with Lazarus - it seems to have grown on me over the last week. The remake of Sue is my album favourite, simply because of the band - they just tear it a new one throughout, so precise. There are amazing bits of all kinds of instruments and bleeps and things just circling and flying past throughout and I just love it. My only gripe is that it isn't as long as the original.

Girl Loves Me is a very interesting oddity, quite a good one. 'Tis A Pity is also a great remake and I enjoy it. It seems this album is hitting all the right spots for a lot of people and that's quite something for an artist of Bowie's age to be putting out this good so late into his career. Here's to a few more that take even wilder turns.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    well if this is his modern jazz album, I want to hear his hip hop LP.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Drove in a blizzard to Best Buy today to pick up a copy and it was worth it. I think it surpasses that threshold of being more than just a collection of really great songs, and I agree with the opinion that its his best "album" album since Outside. Whoever wrote these bass lines I would give a gold medal.

Also, if this were to be his last record, the lyrics on I Can't Give Everything Away would extremely fitting.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What a fantastic album. I really enjoy The Next Day, but this is a masterpiece in my eyes. Bowie is definitely an all time favorite for me and this stands as one of the best albums from him in a long time.

I like Outside a lot, but I don't seem to hold it quite as high as others here. Personally, I think Heathen is loads better than Outside. But this is as good as Heathen for me and maybe my favorite Bowie album since Scary Monsters. Really great stuff. It feels so... complete.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    This is going to sound weird but I'll just get it out there:

The booklet smells really good.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    This is going to sound weird but I'll just get it out there:

The booklet smells really good.
    i had noticed this as well... smells as good as the album sounds.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintNoir View Post
    Personally, I think Heathen is loads better than Outside. But this is as good as Heathen for me and maybe my favorite Bowie album since Scary Monsters. Really great stuff. It feels so... complete.
    I always say that Heathen is probably his most overlooked and underrated album, and I consider it to be one of his best, too. It's a masterpiece! ...and now I really can't wait to get off of work so I can give Blackstar a listen!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Also, the vinyl package is really nice. I got a clear one from Barnes and Noble and it is a fantastic presentation. Great big booklet. Great photos. Def pick it up.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    where the fuck did monday go?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The "Blackstar" version of "Sue" is better than the "Nothing's changed" version (but i love them both...)

Great album, reminded me to Outside, Earthling and even "Hours", "Dollar Days" is already a new classic in my mind...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    This is unquestionably the bleakest, most mournful album he's ever put out. There's so much allusion to death and violence, and I feel like there's this undercurrent of spite that runs through much of it. It's scary.

I think it's going right up there into my top five. What a record.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    is he still not healthy enough to tour? Heart issues right?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I still have questions about his general health/cognition. It could just be a matter of privacy or fuck you money, but he hasn't done an interview or live appearance in a decade. I'm glad he's out there and BLACKSTAR is an amazing piece of work, but he only seems to operate in environments of absolute control now.

Which, I mean, is fine. I've seen him three times. And I'm glad he's still able to show everyone how it's done while pushing 70.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Who else feels "Lazarus" start very familiar, almost the same way as "The noose" by APC? I waited him to go "so glad to see you well" but he changed those lines...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I'll take new music this frequently over touring any day. I think he knows at this age he's not going to be what he was out there on the stage, and would much rather just operate in the studio. He's got the money, time and status to just work on whatever the fuck he wants and release it - as this album shows.

As for interviews etc, the guy has been in the game for a long, long time. He has every right to not want to bother with the whole PR treadmill anymore. Lord knows he's done enough over the past 40 years.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    It's kinda short, innit? I feel like I've heard all of this album already.