Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 82 ... LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Listening to Iggy Pop albums that are really mostly David Bowie albums. Haven't spun Blah Blah Blah in years.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Listening to Iggy Pop albums that are really mostly David Bowie albums. Haven't spun Blah Blah Blah in years.
    i played it last night while packing records for today's happy hour tribute. better than i remembered! always loved 'cry for love,' but 'isolation' is also a gem.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Listening to Iggy Pop albums that are really mostly David Bowie albums.
    Make no mistake: All those lyrics are totally Iggy's.

(My best friend and I used to joke that only Iggy would use "imperturbably" in song lyrics, LOL.)

Obviously, the success of Blah Blah Blah was mostly due to this:

Last edited by allegro; 01-15-2016 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Hell yeah. I also really like 'Shades' and 'Little Miss Emperor'. That last should have been somewhere on the original LP I think.

Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Make no mistake: All those lyrics are totally Iggy's.

Oh god, I know.

Cat taboo girl
    Raped by an ape

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Oh god, I know.

Cat taboo girl
    Raped by an ape
    My absolute favorite lyrics are from "Turn Blue" on Lust for Life

JESUS? this is Iggy ...

Last edited by allegro; 01-15-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    I listened to Manson's Mechanical Animals the other day for a first time in years, and I swear I thought it was a David Bowie tribute band or something at times. I've heard his versions of The Jean Genie, Fame, Space Oddity, Nightclubbing and probably something else. (Won't name specific songs, if you have ears than you'll recognize them).

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul is free for a limited time in honor of Bowie.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/c...e_nomads_soul/

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I feel like i truly 'got' Bowie for the first time.. at the street party in his hometown Brixton, London on the night he died.

Ive always deeply respected him, and am aware he is one of the most influential artists of the 20th Century. And also his major influence of Trent and NIN. But for some reason i never listened to anything other than the Berlin stuff especially Low which i think is amazing.

I live near Brixton so checked out the street party and it was so beautiful. (Apart from the dick who shot a firework into the crowd but nevermind no one was hurt!) Incredible vibe, I really felt what made him so special for the first time.
    Thousands of people from all over the world, media outlets from all over the world, in the street singing Heroes, Suffragette City, Life on Mars,Jean Genie, Lets Dance etc.
    i ended up staying there for 4 hours! Getting drunk getting really sucked in by eyeryone.

I was not around in the 1970s. And ive heard countless artists talk about what he did for them in 1972.

I can now really get a sense of and feel and how cataclysmic he must have been back then. Very powerful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Omikron, a game that featured Bowie with many songs that later made it in Hours, is free for a limited time (you need Steam, banner has the coupon code).

https://store.na.square-enix.com/pro...ul-pc-download

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Genesis P. Orridge posted this article on Facebook, an interesting read to say the least. Now I really understand this album's connection to Station to Station​.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    From Evan Rachel Wood: http://www.nylon.com/articles/evan-r...d-bowie-eulogy

Honestly, this is beautiful and this only makes me want to hang out with her even more and write some scripts for her.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Gosh, this death as been hard to swallow, i'm currently listening him and can't stop thinking how much impact he has had in my life, what an awesome man, what an awesome music...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A really fun, previously unpublished interview from 2014 with Mike Garson. He talks about Bowie, Trent, and many others.

http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/mike-garson

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Re: future releases
    I've been browsing several Bowie-related websites today and found this article from 2008 that discusses possible DB archive/reissue releases in great detail:
    http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/pres...dcollector.htm

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I watched The Martian for the first time last night, and loved it, and then the entirety of Starman started playing ... it's the first time I've heard his music used in something since his passing and I couldn't believe how hard that hit me. It was a wonderful use of it, but I still almost paused it to take a breather. Is this what it's going to be like every time something of his starts playing somewhere unexpectedly?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of comps (outtakes, etc) roll out. Usually what happens when someone big goes.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Last edited by Your Name Here; 07-25-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I wish they would reissue this albums, some of them are really hard to get (at least in my country), specially "Logder", "The Buddah of Suburbia" and the "Labyrinth" soundtrack.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Interesting article in the Chicago Tribune:

How David Bowie confronted MTV for ignoring black artists in the early 1980s (includes great interview footage).

When MTV did respond to charges of racism, Tannenbaum said, the company's reasoning was that "black artists aren't really making a lot of videos - which was kind of true but also completely beside the point. Record companies weren't giving budgets to black artists to make videos because they knew MTV wouldn't play those videos."

The other rationale, echoed in the Bowie interview, was that "MTV was a rock n' roll network and in their minds rock n' roll did not include black artists, which made sense to them but didn't make sense to many people, including David Bowie," Tannenbaum said.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    David Bowie narrates Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    I watched the Martian yesterday to, it did the exact same thing to me yesterday. I have been struggling all week with Bowie's passing saying "I can't believe he is gone" so I watched the Martian yesterday (Loved the movie and it was a great use of Starman) but it killed me when the opening chords of Starman started playing.
    how funny, I just watched the Martian yesterday too and had the exact same experience!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    A few great items, here:

First, this New York Times article about how Bowie loved New York City, made it his only permanent home, and became an "invisible New Yorker."

Second, this photo of Bowie that's been circulating on Twitter of a virtually-unrecognizable Bowie.

But note his left hand.

Oh, and here's Bowie trying to get a cab and giving up and walking, just like the rest of us.
    Last edited by allegro; 01-16-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    i pulled into 7-11 to grab some beer yesterday and im afraid of americans came on the radio so i had to wait and listen to the song.

while i was listening to it, two guys in their late teens early 20's walked in front of my car looking for someone and they eyed me cause i just pulled in. a minute later another guy shows up, gives them a pound and then tackles one kid to the ground. two other guys run around the side of 7-11 and jump on the kid. turns out he was dealin', coke prob, and got run up on some undercovers. crazy situation to witness and the song finished with them on top of this kid putting him in hand cuffs, lol.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 01-16-2016 at 07:34 PM.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Jesse Lacey of Brand New and his wife named their newly born daughter Bowie. Adorable

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/b...daughter_bowie

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    There's a widescreen version of Lazarus on the director website. I wonder why they chose that aspect ratio for youtube?
    http://www.johanrenck.com/#/projects/lazarus-3/
    In hindsight, I feel it was a conceptual thing - to show, in comparison "Blackstar's" wider screen, that time and space were closing in on him, as if something was running out and shrinking - getting closer and closer to the blackness. But I could be reading into it too much. I just feel that nothing Bowie did was unintentional in the past few years.
    Last edited by Morad; 01-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    First, this New York Times article about how Bowie loved New York City, made it his only permanent home, and became an "invisible New Yorker."
    My one Bowie sighting in downtown Manhattan:

I was in (Italian restaurant) Falai having lunch with my sister and dad, and David Bowie walks in and stands in line at the pastry counter. They had their backs to him: I wanted them to see he was there, but it was too close quarters for me to say anything, so I took a piece of paper and scribbled "David Bowie is behind you" on it and passed it to my sister, and then my dad, who started reading out loud "DAVID B-B-" and my sister and I SHUSHED him, and David Bowie didn't notice (I hope), and then after a while he walked out with his bag of pastries. I remember thinking he looked good.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Last edited by allegro; 01-17-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Guess we all need to watch Spongebob Squarepants

http://www.vocativ.com/news/269868/d...b-squarepants/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)