Page 55 of 84 FirstFirst ... 5 45 53 54 55 56 57 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,650 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    @seasonsinthesky this doesn't really answer your question and some of the information I gathered came from the bowiestation.com site.
    As far as I know the song Sue (Or In A Season Of The Crime) started during the Next Day sessions. Sue was then redone and appeared on the Nothing Has Changed compilation, Sue was then redone again and appeared on Blackstar.
    These are some of the songs that are said to be left over from the Blackstar sessions,
    - When Things Go Bad
    - No Plan
    - Killing A Little Time
    - When I Met You
    - Russian Black Man Of Moscow
    - Somewhere
    - Wistful
    - Duet with Lorde (Bowie at least recorded his part)
    - 5 demo songs from Dec 2015/Jan 2016
    No Plan as well as Killing A Little Time and When I Met You, were released as Blackstar bonus tracks.

****Again these are not facts and are purely speculation based on
    hearsay, I can't even guarantee the source. The Bowie documentary The Last Five Years seems to back up some of this but again dates and recording sessions can not be verified. Tony Visconti in the documentary did mention that Bowie had demo'd five new tracks that they never got to work on before he died.****

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    from my intensive studies on the blackstar sessions this is an accurate list, but I did not know about the Lorde duet. I would only add that "Wistful" has also been referred to as "blaze"

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I already knew the Blackstar stuff, but thanks anyway guys.

Listening to Station to Station in reverse order today and it's surprisingly well paced! I may like it more than the original order.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Earthling came out 20 years ago today!!! I fell in love with this album on the first listen. I still remember it: I was 15 years old, and my cousin put it on his cassette player, and Little Wonder started, and my mind was blown... These forty-some minutes made me a lifelong Bowie fan!

Last edited by hellospaceboy; 02-03-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Earthling is one of my favs as well.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Mine too. And I just recently got around to checking out some of the remixes, alternative versions and leftovers from those years.

For example, the "Feelgood Mix" of Telling Lies is basically an alternate version with a different, less rock-oriented instrumentation that leans more toward typical DnB basslines and such. This version seems to be the original version of that song before Bowie opted for a heavier sound.

Also Danny Sabre's remixes of Little Wonder and Dead Man Walking (called "This One's Not Dead Yet Mix") are excellent:

And there's a version of I Can't Read, which got re-recorded during the Earthling sessions, but got left off the album:

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I also always loved this remix:

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    You can see why ICR was left off – great version, but utterly alien (not alien enough?) from Earthling's sound.

I've had a tough time getting into Earthling compared to Outside. It's certainly quite a different beast. Mostly, I find a lot of the arrangements overlong for no reason, "Little Wonder" especially – the radio edit is the best version imo. Glad we never got the 9-minute 'rave epic' mentioned on Pushing Ahead of the Dame.

The album definitely gets better as it goes, though. I'd say it crests in the middle with 7YIT/DMW/TL and has a denouement interrupted, fittingly, by Americans.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    Earthling came out 20 years ago today!!! I fell in love with this album on the first listen. I still remember it: I was 15 years old, and my cousin put it on his cassette player, and Little Wonder started, and my mind was blown... These forty-some minutes made me a lifelong Bowie fan!

I fuckin' love "Earthling"; "Outside" has better songs, but as an album "Earthling" flows so much better and smoothly, i gonna listen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I also always loved this remix:
    Thanks for posting that! it's been years since i heard this one, i love that remix even more than the studio version.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Limited white vinyl pressing of the No Plan EP is up for pre-order now. It says "made to order" so I'm guessing that means there's no actual hard-limit set yet?

http://store.davidbowie.com/music-2/...l-w-litho.html

There's also a more standard black 180g pressing available:

http://store.davidbowie.com/music-2/...lan-vinyl.html

And there's a CD too but I'm too lazy to link it

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Bull Moose shop also lists an "indie exclusive" clear/white/blue LP pressing. I may do that one if a Canadian shop lists it. Or request it at my local one.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    And there's a CD too but I'm too lazy to link it
    Yes Shadaloo, this DID just happen, like you feared it would, the day after you caved and bought the Lazarus soundtrack.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I used to have the bonus disc for that reissue of Earthling and I somehow lost it and cannot locate it anywhere. I loved it. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw that clip last Sunday. That was a joy to watch. 2 old mates from South London walking through Madrid looking for beer, signing autographs, and talking about art.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Can I just say that Low's B side is a spectacular soundscape. Perfect thing to come after the experimental post-punk-esque A side (which I also love).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    On the B side theme then, can we just take a few minutes to appreciate the wonderful ending to "Heroes". Nothing thrills me more than the tension at the end of Neukolln, the gap, and the great release of The Secret Life Of Arabia. Truly perfect. Still miss you Dave.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Anyone know the riff to "Voyeur of Utter Destruction?" Tabs don't bloody exist.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Interesting and quite sad interview with Reeves Gabrels about his time with David Bowie
    http://radio.com/2017/02/20/david-bo...Opj8s.facebook

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    OK so what the fuck is the Lodger cover supposed to be? Why is DB twisted up like he just fell off a roof? Why is he on the wall of a bathroom?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Interesting and quite sad interview with Reeves Gabrels about his time with David Bowie
    http://radio.com/2017/02/20/david-bo...Opj8s.facebook
    Great read. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    So - am I just being a grumpy sod, or is this planned memorial for Brixton a bit rubbish?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39044933

I know the lightning bolt is a very recognisable symbol, and I think I can see their reasons for using it beyond that, but still I'd rather see something a bit more interesting. Also, after a short time it is going to be covered in crap that wouldn't make so much difference on a regular statue. I thought it would be much better if they grabbed a few bits of wall (or other) space from around the area and used them as an ongoing street art project that could be changed over time. This would suit both Bowie and Brixton better - fitting the environment and maybe making something more fun that people maybe had to look for, rather than just something you see when you get off the tube, take a photo of, and never come back to again. On the other hand though, it certainly is bold, and maybe the massive contrast to the immediate environment is how it should be. Of course it all depends on whether they get the cash together anyway. I've seen quite a few negative comments, but maybe it will be embraced by people beyond the Bowie nerds who saw the announcement first.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I don't mind the lightning bolt but personally, I'd rather have a statue of Bowie in the Ziggy era in the middle of Brixton's park with the park named after him.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    This isn't really related or even related to music for that
    matter, but this immediately made me think of blue, blue, electric blue -

http://www.news.com.au/technology/en...c846f8ec0d35ce

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Saw this via Mike Garson:

http://lovingthealientour.com/

Guess this includes all the same guys as the tribute shows. I never got to see the later Bowie shows, so part of me would love to see all the hits with the old band, but I guess a lot does depend on who they rope in for guest vocals. I'd be well happy to see Anna Calvi involved after her performance at the BBC Proms show. Surely someone should ask Chris Connelly to have a bash with them too?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Yooooooo

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    The BowieSongs blog, which was so good for so many years, has become unbearable to read for me recently (well, for a couple years actually). Instead of just some tidbits about the song, the author now writes the whole book chapter which sometimes only mentions the actual song at the very end. I get it, he's actually writes a book now instead of a blog, but that's how I feel as a long time reader. I liked the older (pre-Outside) chapters much more.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The BowieSongs blog, which was so good for so many years, has become unbearable to read for me recently (well, for a couple years actually). Instead of just some tidbits about the song, the author now writes the whole book chapter which sometimes only mentions the actual song at the very end. I get it, he's actually writes a book now instead of a blog, but that's how I feel as a long time reader. I liked the older (pre-Outside) chapters much more.
    Yeah, you can tell he doesn't much like a lot of newer stuff. I think the lengthy rants are intended to give background to the lyrics of the songs, evidently the only part he cares for.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I stopped reading the site a long time ago as it's just a bunch of whiny complaints and such. I remember there used to be a book some many years ago that I found which was about all of David Bowie's songs from album to album. I think it's up till Heathen or Hours. I don't remember but it was a good book. I also remember a book about Bowie and his impact on fashion which was also cool. Someone needs to reissue those books and update them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)