Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32 72 80 81 82 83 84 LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,460 of 2500

Thread: David Bowie

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    I thought the estate didn’t even own anything anymore, they sold everything for a lump sum last January:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...e-1253155/amp/
    I think they have some sort of control. I know Moonage Daydream was made with their cooperation. I want all the rehearsal footage from 1978! Warzawa & Heroes from that are awesome in the film.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I think they have some sort of control. I know Moonage Daydream was made with their cooperation. I want all the rehearsal footage from 1978! Warzawa & Heroes from that are awesome in the film.
    It says “sanctioned” by the estate. I don’t even know what that legally means other than “we hereby don’t think this is crap.” Additionally, the family may have given the film makers private footage that wasn’t part of the Warner deal.

But when you sell an entire catalog, you sell all right, title and interest to materials in that catalog. Forever.

There’s a great deal of tax benefits in selling a catalog, it’s why so many older artists or their estates are doing this.

This article mentions the sale and the film:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...ll-1235145941/
    Last edited by allegro; 11-27-2022 at 06:28 PM.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It says “sanctioned” by the estate. I don’t even know what that legally means other than “we hereby don’t think this is crap.” Additionally, the family may have given the film makers private footage that wasn’t part of the Warner deal.

But when you sell an entire catalog, you sell all right, title and interest to materials in that catalog. Forever.

There’s a great deal of tax benefits in selling a catalog, it’s why so many older artists or their estates are doing this.

This article mentions the sale and the film:

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/...ll-1235145941/
    Yeah and i wanna say Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young sold off their catalogues, too, recently?

But did you hear about The Beach Boys selling...The Beach Boys?
    If i understand correctly, they sold a controlling interest in their WHOLE SHIT: name, logo, ALL of it. Like, they sold the ENTIRE IP.
    It's to where the buyer can open a beach boys restaurant, or craft beer...just anything.

I can't find the article; it's been awhile, but it tripped me out.

Moonage Daydream was fucking great.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-28-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Moonage Daydream was fucking great.
    Did you see it at the theatre? I have been wanting to see it since I heard about it.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Yeah and i wanna say Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young sold off their catalogues, too, recently?
    Yeah here’s a list:

https://www.ajournalofmusicalthings....ed-of-company/

Yeah and The Beach Boys is listed as having sold everything, including all Intellectual Property. But they sold it to Irving Azoff’s Iconic Artists.

https://iconicartistsgroup.com/news/

Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Did you see it at the theatre? I have been wanting to see it since I heard about it.
    You can watch it on AppleTV for $5.99
    Last edited by allegro; 11-28-2022 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

But did you hear about The Beach Boys selling...The Beach Boys?
    If i understand correctly, they sold a controlling interest in their WHOLE SHIT: name, logo, ALL of it. Like, they sold the ENTIRE IP.
    It's to where the buyer can open a beach boys restaurant, or craft beer...just anything.

I can't find the article; it's been awhile, but it tripped me out.
    Off topic: That sounds like a Mike Love decision

On topic: Can we trade Mike Love to get Bowie back?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Just saw Moonage Daydream. What an experience.

Really felt like, more than anything else, a look at how he grew as a person throughout his journey, how his philosophies and look on life evolved as life informed him in all its stages. Wonderful use of Hallo Spaceboy.

Made it through without tearing up, which I consider an achievement.

...and I was left with the strangest thought: Only a mime could have accomplished everything he did.

Okay, and another one:

David Robert Jones may be gone, but David Bowie is forever.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Did I not give you a Plex share?

You can watch it there for $0 and 0 cents.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Did I not give you a Plex share?

You can watch it there for $0 and 0 cents.
    Actually I remember you offered me a Plex share a while ago but I don't have an account atm. Thanks though! If this is as good as people say I am going to have to buy it for the collection anyways. I somehow missed that it came to digital like 2 whole weeks ago. There's so much content out there it's hard to keep up sometimes.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    David Robert Jones may be gone, but David Bowie is forever.
    Hey, do you want to join our new cult?

Everybody is out here waiting around for Jesus to come back and save us, but me and @elevenism are waiting on the Starman to make his return.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Hey, do you want to join our new cult?

Everybody is out here waiting around for Jesus to come back and save us, but me and @elevenism are waiting on the Starman to make his return.
    Done deal. I'll wear a giant bull head and we'll creep together committing ritual art-murders until the promised day.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Nothing to be desired! Nothing to be desired!!!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Nothing to be desired! Nothing to be desired!!!
    Mind changing. Change your mind changing.
    @burnmotherfucker! Plex is free.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    So, I watched Moonage Daydream and you guys were right. It is pretty fucking great.

My only real complaint is that I think this thing really should have been 8 hours long. It's crazy that at 2 hours they barely even scratched the surface with his work. I love how they included all the interviews showing how his philosophy morphed over the years. But the music used didn't always quite line up with that growth I don't think. I get it though, they had 2 hours to work with and they were trying to please a general audience. But it is criminal how little stuff from Blackstar was used. I mean that should have been the last 20 minutes. I think Lazarus got like 1.5 seconds of screen time for example. But yeah, I'm nit picking. Overall it was great and I thought the sound was mixed really well.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    We're coming to the end of this year of #Bowie75. Aside from the film, there's been a constant drip of audio releases since the Toy:Box, culminating with the Divine Symmetry box set. I think it's fab, really beautiful to behold and probably the best box set of the year (or #2 just below Blondie's, which is simply astonishing).

Any predictions for what might be on offer next year? Seems like an all-encompassing Spiders from Mars box set is basically inevitable at this point... including the Arnold Corns tracks absent from Divine. Immersive audio remixes for further albums too, now that we have ''Heroes'' album streaming in 360 Reality Audio alongside Space Oddity and Metrobolist and everything from Heathen to the end... there's surely more to come.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A shop in town has the 50th birthday concert triple vinyl. Sure, it's unofficial, but that's where I fully got into Bowie. Luckily, I have the digital version of it and a VHS of the show.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Any predictions for what might be on offer next year?
    tbh at this point I'm only in it for unreleased stuff.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    tbh at this point I'm only in it for unreleased stuff.
    Same. I don't need 40 more slightly different mixes of "Heroes".

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Cool, guess we're all going to talk about the unreleased stuff on Divine Symmetry then?

I was totally unaware that stuff like "How Lucky You Are (Miss Peculiar)" and "King of the City" existed. Fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Cool, guess we're all going to talk about the unreleased stuff on Divine Symmetry then?

I was totally unaware that stuff like "How Lucky You Are (Miss Peculiar)" and "King of the City" existed. Fucking amazing.
    Both are mentioned in Nicholas Pegg's The Complete David Bowie book (which, if you don't have it and are a Bowie fan, you need to have a copy, as it's an excellent reference). How Lucky You Are has quite a bit of info on it, and it mentions that it has been available on bootlegs. I had this and a few of the other demos already, including the missing Rupert The Riley. King of the City has a very small paragraph about it, and it appears that it was completely unreleased and unheard before this set.

I hope they continue this trend and give the Ziggy album this treatment. It would be a "rock and roll suicide" if they didn't do it given the popularity and importance of Ziggy to the Bowie canon. Not sure what they would do with Aladdin Sane and Pin Ups, but I know Diamond Dogs and Young Americans certainly have known unreleased material to include on a set like this. I'm not sure Station would get this treatment since they already did a box set back in 2010 and I can't imagine there is much leftover.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Totally unexpected delivery yesterday out of the blue, courtesy of Warner Music Canada. Guess they liked my contest entry...

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Totally unexpected delivery yesterday out of the blue, courtesy of Warner Music Canada. Guess they liked my contest entry...

Nice! I wanted the Brilliant Adventures cds but it was just too much money for me at this point. The Moonage Daydream blu-ray would be cool, too. Again, budgetary limitations. I've got all of them digital but it's just not the same.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    ^ I had a couple of them on vinyl already but, yeah... it's real nice to have the whole thing in one place at last. That's the soundtrack on 2CDs, a promo copy with a punch-out in the catalogue number they threw in as a bonus.

Personally I'm happy to wait for the 4K UHD edition of the movie, the director said it was scheduled to come out around March this year.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Spinning Blackstar today and re-reading this thread's pages from 7 years ago... Still getting teary-eyed over his death.
    He owed us nothing and still went ahead and gave us some much more in his last years.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    ^ I had a couple of them on vinyl already but, yeah... it's real nice to have the whole thing in one place at last. That's the soundtrack on 2CDs, a promo copy with a punch-out in the catalogue number they threw in as a bonus.

Personally I'm happy to wait for the 4K UHD edition of the movie, the director said it was scheduled to come out around March this year.
    NEON announced that Moonage Daydream will be a Criterion release (no release date yet nor 4K details)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    NEON announced that Moonage Daydream will be a Criterion release (no release date yet nor 4K details)
    Hopefully they include more of that 1978 live footage as an extra. I'm saving up for the 4K UHD on this one!

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Spinning Blackstar today and re-reading this thread's pages from 7 years ago... Still getting teary-eyed over his death.
    He owed us nothing and still went ahead and gave us some much more in his last years.
    You know what? I cried for years.

But I no longer get teary eyed.
    Because Bowie is alive.

He comes to life every time I turn on Low, or Heathen, or Queen Bitch.

He's alive, IN MY ROOM, saying "let me take you on this journey. I think you'll like it."

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    I found the video to be heart wrenching.

Bowie pulled a Johnny Cash (the guy who wrote hurt.)

I get a "i'm gonna die pretty soon" vibe from Lazarus and the video reinforced it.

In cash's hurt cover, he closed the piano at the end, and i took it to be coffin imagery.

Same goes for bowie getting in that wardrobe. imho.

edit: oh, and for the love of god, i wish he'd quit wearing that nightmare fuel over his eyes in these videos ;P
    @elevenism , you called it on January 8 2016.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    @elevenism, you called it on January 8 2016.
    Yup.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Triangle of Sadness (from that list) was announced for April. Holding out hope for Moonage Daydream May.