The exchange in the other thread also prompted me to reflect on this a little.

I also used to think it better to separate my feelings about the artist and my feelings about the artwork, not allowing either to influence the other. But these days I find they're more likely to interact. For example, I haven't felt comfortable listening to Michael Jackson since the most recent round of child abuse allegations.

For me at least, I think my ability to empathise with the artist and their actions plays role. Jim Morrison is a good example here. As I mentioned in the other thread, though I know he often behaved terribly, I'm not inclined to take an especially reproachful stance towards him, and I'll happily still enjoy The Doors. My impression is that his age, insecurity, and alcoholism were all key factors in the explanation (not justification) of his behaviour. As I've mentioned in the 'Sober' thread, I had ongoing struggles with alcohol throughout my 20s, and regularly behaved pretty shamefully. I probably would have done a lot worse had I been in a similar situation to Morrison during this time. So I can empathise with Jim - the possible world in which I'm that stupid and unpleasant doesn't feel so far away to me. But compare that to MJ, or Manson for that matter - any world in which I'd behave in the ways that (allegedly) they behaved feels very remote indeed; I can't empathise with them at all. For these artists, a reproachful stance comes much more easily, and I feel a bit squeamish about enjoying their music.