Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Well shit. I guess I'm out of a job come November and my wife will lose her disability payments. I'm going to be spending every dime getting bills and debts paid off and cancelling every subscription so I can deal with fighting every other gov worker who is out of a job for not being a good enough brown shirt. Fucking sick to my stomach at this bullshit.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I didn't think the court was far enough gone to do this.

At this point, the country is already a dictatorship. There's nothing to legally stop Biden from having Trump murdered, or from declaring the election his and preventing the transfer of power if he loses, or from simply cancelling the election.

We were worried that if Trump won, he'd be a dictator, and while Trump is worse than Biden, Biden has the power of one already. And so does every future president.

This November doesn't matter anymore, at some point, whether it's this year, 4 years from now, 16 years from now, at some point a republican will win.

If the Democrats haven't done something that would be horrifically wrong, the Republicans will whenever they are elected.

Get out while you can, if you can.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Get out while you can, if you can.
    Wish it was that easy. We are ALL trapped here. The only way you can actually move out of America is if you have an INSANE amount of money or privilege.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Wish it was that easy. We are ALL trapped here. The only way you can actually move out of America is if you have an INSANE amount of money or privilege.
    Well, I’m a dual Canadian citizen. Maybe it’s time to seriously consider getting out of here. I’m pissed. This is just insane.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Well, I’m a dual Canadian citizen. Maybe it’s time to seriously consider getting out of here. I’m pissed. This is just insane.
    You realize Canada basically follows wherever the US goes politically, right? We're about a year away from an election where a Conservative majority will probably pave the way to the same shit happening in a few years.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The thing that really gets me, is that even though Biden didn't ask to be one, and probably doesn't want to be one, this court just made him a dictator.

Trump said he'd be a dictator on day 1, well, Biden is one now, even though he didn't want to be.

Without some big changes, every president from today forward is now a dictator.

November doesn't matter. Until someone repairs the damage done, the USA is a dictatorship.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    These corrupt assholes. Trump is going to get away with it and in November this country becomes a fascist dictatorship.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...-24/index.html
    The one bit of good news is that this doesn't overturn his 34 felony convictions in NY.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    What really sucks that is that even though Biden is technically a "dictator" now, the Dems are such pussies when it comes to actually doing anything, they won't utilize the next couple of months to, you know, make dictatorial decisions for the GOOD of the country to maybe soften the blow of Trump's incoming forever-presidency.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Justice Sotomayor - “With fear for our democracy, I dissent”

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    can't say I'm surprised with the results. I was prepared for it.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    The one bit of good news is that this doesn't overturn his 34 felony convictions in NY.

He's appealing though, and it does mean that Hope Hick's testimony is likely inadmissible as evidence.

It also pretty much guarantees that ruling will be tied up in appeals until after the election.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Mean while Biden is like "I'm not going to use these powers." For fucks sake! Use them! Do something you tried old fuck!

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I don’t think enough people realize how incredible this is. I want to say that something fundamental about this country just changed, but I feel that’s gotta be hyperbolic. That’s hyperbolic, right?

Well, as long as we don’t get an unstable, power-hungry narcissist with authoritarian tendencies hellbent on abusing the seat of power to reach his own selfish and nefarious ends, I guess we’re ok.

”The law is not used as an instrument of the ruler, the rule of law is supposed to constrain the ruler. And the Supreme Court just undid that. And it’s binding. And it’s now the way our country is structured… and there’s no way out of this.”
    - Rachel Maddow, putting it pretty succinctly
    Last edited by Jinsai; Yesterday at 11:17 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    There's plenty way out of it, Biden would just have to use his sweeping slate of brand new powers to, for instance, expand and pack the courts, among many other spicier possibilities. But for some reason we have to once again take the high road? Fuck that. High road is death.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm usually not one to doom-scroll, speculate, etc. However, this decision is too much to ignore. My mind keeps going to disaster thought, specifically about my two elderly parents who receive Social Security and Medicare. When, not if, Trump becomes president I can see him strip certain races or registered Democrats of both these federal benefits. With this USSC ruling, he can simply say some b.s. like "I'm doing it to save tax-payer dollars" providing him immunity to target those he deems enemies. I'm already determing ways to soften the blow for them, financially. I'm thankful we live in California and I got them on Medi-Cal. However, I'll need to cover their lost Social Security benefits as I'm the only one of my siblings who can do it. Times likes these I wish I wasn't a legislative attorney as it's hard not to think of the legal pandora's box that this ruling opened.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Separate post for a separate thought: Today reminded me of how, near the end of Obama's term, he had a chance at a recess appointment to the USSC. However, he didn't want to tarnish his legacy, falsely claimed it could not be done and there were rumblings that Hillary wanted to be the one to do it when she took office (wow the arrogance of the party). They also argued that it would hurt her chances to get elected. As noted above: One thing the Dems never have a stomach for is "fighting dirty." When it comes to fighting for real causes, like protecting reproductive rights, etc., I always say fuck a fair fight: There's winning and losing. Period. Apparently, it's all moot now. I need to watch some mindless TV to try to stop my disaster thoughts.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My country is far from perfect, but Australia definitely seems like an okay place to be today.

I’m so, so sorry that this awful reality is ahead of you all.