Thread: The Supreme Court thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This is bad. Even if Biden wins, the Evil Turtle will wait until after the election but before January 20 (with a lame duck POTUS and Congress) to ram whoever asshole Trump nominates.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    This is bad. Even if Biden wins, the Evil Turtle will wait until after the election but before January 20 (with a lame duck POTUS and Congress) to ram whoever asshole Trump nominates.
    Unless we take the Senate back, and we can. And if they do likely get away with this, it’s time to pack the fucking court.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Unless we take the Senate back, and we can. And if they do likely get away with this, it’s time to pack the fucking court.
    Agreed. And even if Republicans stand down and don't ram somebody through, a reckoning is long overdue.

It's time for Democrats to stop with the propriety and hand-wringing and time for them to go scorched earth the second they have even a morsel of control back.The majority of Americans are NOT Trumpers (popular vote has proven this), but you wouldn't know it by looking at the way our election system works, and that's by Republican design.

No forgiveness, no compromise. Republicans have been fucking Dems for ages, and it's time for them to fuck back.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    It's time for Democrats to stop with the propriety and hand-wringing and time for them to go scorched earth the second they have even a morsel of control back.The majority of Americans are NOT Trumpers (popular vote has proven this), but you wouldn't know it by looking at the way our election system works, and that's by Republican design.

No forgiveness, no compromise. Republicans have been fucking Dems for ages, and it's time for them to fuck back.
    Dem leadership could go scorched earth right now, but have already indicated they won't. Pelosi has taken refusing to pass a budget/raise the debt ceiling off the table (meaning she refuses to work on either in the House unless the nomination is delayed), Biden said Saturday he's against packing the court, Feinstein said she is against removing the filibuster. No mention of bringing new impeachment charges against Trump, which would take precedence over confirmation hearings and delay the whole confirmation process by months in both houses. No riling up the base to get in the streets/perform civil disobedience against this move by McConnell, etc. Yes some of these things are dirty tricks, but thats what is needed to combat these monster reactionaries that are all that's left in the Republican party. All they understand is power. Fight fire with fire. But no...we just get more hand wringing, empty threats and spineless bullshit from these absolute ZEROS:

WAKE UP ASSHOLE. GET IN THE FUCKING GAME. THERE IS NO ONE ON THE OTHER SIDE THAT YOU CAN MOVE ON THIS WITH YOUR WORDS.

Democrats....paid to lose. #rEsIsTaNcE...spare me.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Murkowski and Romney are saying “no” until after inauguration.

Another interesting thing I just saw? That if Kelly wins in AZ, he could be immediately sworn in, in November, not January, because McSally won in a special election after McCain died?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/18/u...ourt-pick.html

The Republicans have 6 more Senators plus a VP tie breaker, so Democrats would need enough to cover that spread until the inauguration.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    Murkowski and Romney are saying “no” until after inauguration.
    Did they say "no" until after the inauguration or until after the election? I am doing a Google search and can't find a source. If you are correct that would give me peace of mind.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Did they say "no" until after the inauguration or until after the election? I am doing a Google search and can't find a source. If you are correct that would give me peace of mind.
    I only have this:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...uble-standard/

Grassley was also on record as being against it, based on 2016. Collins might also be against it.

So that'd be:

Romney
    Murkowski
    Grassley
    Collins
    Kelly

Some are questioning whether McConnell would even have a quorum. SCOTUS hearings would require that Senators stop all campaigning to attend hearings.

My anxiety level is -- (out of a scale of 1-10) on "30" right now.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-19-2020 at 12:51 PM.