Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Indiana Jones

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What if I told you that Kingdom holds 77% on rotten tomatoes. That's the same score as Temple of Doom. And the new movie is just 69%
    I'd remind you that Rotten Tomatoes is is a site that takes complex, thoughtful reviews and ignores everything they have to say except for whether they think the reviewer's overall opinion is positive or negative. I find it astounding that we've allowed this system to become the primary way we rate movies.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I got an email from Disney giving me $5 off a ticket, that's weird. Disney doesn't do coupons. They did something similar with Elemental where the email said "hey if you see Elemental, let us know and we'll send you something free. Twice, something even more cool. Thrice? let's go. Frice*? Hell buddy take it all."

it was weird.

Spoiler: I checked: fourice, frice (both rare, nonstandard)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    I'd remind you that Rotten Tomatoes is is a site that takes complex, thoughtful reviews and ignores everything they have to say except for whether they think the reviewer's overall opinion is positive or negative. I find it astounding that we've allowed this system to become the primary way we rate movies.
    I always crack up, when they show a TV spot trailer, and the narrator goes "It is currently 98% on rotten tomatoeeeezzz."

There are countless movies that I love, and fans love, that are between 20% - 40%. It is quite silly.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It was good fun! I liked it much more than Crystal Skull.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Oh, and for those that have seen it, a minor trivia:

Spoiler: In the end when Indiana and Helena are talking to Archimedes, they are actually speaking in modern Greek (passably well), while he is speaking in ancient Greek (which I'm not qualified to comment on how correct it is, it sounds ok I think). A curious thing, considering they would both know ancient Greek, and I'm not sure how well an ancient Greek would understand the modern language right off the bat. I mean, there are definite similarities but the two are also quite removed in terms of grammar, syntax and often vocabulary. Since the filmmakers already made the effort to include ancient Greek, I don't see the logic in having Indy and Helena use the modern language in such a scenario. Oh well.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    Oh, and for those that have seen it, a minor trivia:
    That made me cringe as well

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    That made me cringe as well
    It's a movie about time traveling Nazis. I'll let a lot go and suspend my disbelief.

Saw the movie today and really enjoyed it. Going by word-of-mouth, the bar was pretty low, but it was a lot of fun. I also really liked Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Helena Shaw.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    This movie was absolutely tolerable.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I wasn't even going to see this until I saw some people in this thread give it a thumbs up. It was a lot of fun. I also had heard Phoebe Waller-Bridge was insufferable and ruined the movie, but I thought that her character, Helena Shaw, was fine.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-13-2024 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Finally got a chance to watch the movie last night. The opening was great minus one scene that Producer Guy called out in the Pitch Meeting: Mads was hit full-on in the face and should be scarred or (most likely) dead from that.

Everything after that was rote and mostly not of any consequence. The CIA lady was unusually aggressive until she wasn't and then she was dead. I'm not familiar with Tangier at all but the way they kept running into each other was beyond belief. The boyfriend/fiancé was so back and forth on things so I guess it was supposed to be for farce?

Anyway we turned it off at the airplane scene right at the end of the Tangier chase. We just weren't interested in seeing that one through and I can count on one hand the number of films I haven't finished. I liked The Wolverine more than this and I really hated The Wolverine.

I have a question for those who finished the movie: Indy grabbed the bunch of arrowheads that he had camouflaging the dial in the warehouse. Did he do anything with those later? The direction pushed in on his hands grabbing them so it seemed important but I know from past experience with Mangold that it could be nothing at all.

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny Nominated – Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Finally got a chance to watch the movie last night. The opening was great minus one scene that Producer Guy called out in the Pitch Meeting: Mads was hit full-on in the face and should be scarred or (most likely) dead from that.

Everything after that was rote and mostly not of any consequence. The CIA lady was unusually aggressive until she wasn't and then she was dead. I'm not familiar with Tangier at all but the way they kept running into each other was beyond belief. The boyfriend/fiancé was so back and forth on things so I guess it was supposed to be for farce?

Anyway we turned it off at the airplane scene right at the end of the Tangier chase. We just weren't interested in seeing that one through and I can count on one hand the number of films I haven't finished. I liked The Wolverine more than this and I really hated The Wolverine.

I have a question for those who finished the movie: Indy grabbed the bunch of arrowheads that he had camouflaging the dial in the warehouse. Did he do anything with those later? The direction pushed in on his hands grabbing them so it seemed important but I know from past experience with Mangold that it could be nothing at all.
    Damn. I thought the actors were fine, Phoebe was really good, the writing was absolutely terrible. The CGI on the train was awful (when they were outside), the CGI on the chase scene in the streets was awful, etc. I don't know why Disney had such issues with bad CGI lately.

I guess the pandemic definitely didn't help at all but man this was some amateur stuff.