Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 ... LastLast

Thread: If I Can’t Have Love, I Want Power - new Halsey album produced by Trent and Atticus

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post

I skimmed it a moment ago. Listened a huge chunk of most of the album's songs and basically came to the conclusion that if you wanted an alternate reality of where Nine Inch Nails were a pop band and had some woman singing over the compositions other than Trent on it then this is what you'd get. Honestly none of these songs feel cohesive to me as a unified group of musicians, they all sound like instrumentals NIN threw together and she wrote lyrics and sang vocal melodies to fit the song tempo and rhythm.
    lol basically all this..

After like half a dozen more listens, I can safely say it's strictly her that ruins this album for me. Her vocals are just so bland and..fake. Like, I've heard a hundred other pop starlets who sound exactly like this; she just has the benefit of having a Nine Inch Nails album to sing over..

Instrumentally, it fucking bangs. But I can't count how many times I just wish she'd be quiet so I could hear the musicianship happening underneath. Lilith is a prime example of this. The only time the entire thing comes together for me is on Lighthouse, and not just because Trent's on it. Same deal with the bonus tracks. People Disappear Here and Nightmare are both instrumentally fantastic. It's her vocals that grate..

If an instrumental version of this appears, I'll play it as much as NIN proper and the score work, no question..

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mank View Post
    Does anyone have the instrumentals that are floating around already?
    the what now?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Okay so reading what Halsey said about it being a finished album before TR&AR even heard it…… that frames it in an entirely different way

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    I love the divisiveness of this record. I love that this is a Halsey record and not a NIN record so both good and bad opinions can be thrown around without anyone being majorly offended. It's like this is Everything: Halsey edition without the baggage.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I'm 4 tracks in and this rules.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    So my searching is failing me -- is there anywhere online where one can buy a FLAC (or otherwise lossless) digital version of the album? The best I've been able to find is mp3. I could just buy the CD, of course, but I admit that over the past few years I've been buying fewer physical copies of things.

Edit: of course like two minutes after posting this I come across: https://www.hdtracks.com/#/album/612...7a00026f6e7d53 $18USD, though. I'm always disappointed when bands don't just have a bandcamp page.
    Qobuz has 24/48 hi-res for $15 here, which also gives you access to download CD lossless + MP3
    or if you don't care about hi-res, you can pay $13 for CD lossless + MP3
    https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/if.../c6ys1chexfd0a

I prefer Qobuz over HD Tracks, personally. Qobuz is kinda similar to Bandcamp as your purchase gives you access to multiple formats. You do pay a little more for hi-res though. I use Bandcamp and Qobuz the most.

By the way, Halsey has a Bandcamp, but this album isn't on it. All her other albums are though.
    Last edited by neorev; 08-27-2021 at 11:42 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Okay so reading what Halsey said about it being a finished album before TR&AR even heard it…… that frames it in an entirely different way
    Yes I’m going to make a point of listening to that Zane Lowe interview and it makes more sense of Trent wondering if he’d fucked it up too much in the Danny Elfman interview.

ive become obsessed with this Bells of Santa Fe lyric video from Halseys VEVO. The song gave me goosebumps. I’ve got the album now but probably won’t listen to it in full till my kids go back to school

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Nah, not really interested in torrents, etc -- I haven't actually pirated music in ages. I'd rather that my money make it at least somewhere, even if it ends up being just at the label.

Agreed re: NIN, though at least the digital downloads for NIN stuff are basically always FLAC (and I always want NIN's physical releases anyway, so I can rip from CD if nothing else, though of course that doesn't work so well for vinyl.

Well the FLAC just came on torrent. You can just go to best buy or target and buy a cd for $12 which is still cheaper than a $18 download.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Hi-res $15 here, which also gives you access to CD lossless + MP3
    or you can pay $13 for CD lossless + MP3
    https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/if.../c6ys1chexfd0a
    Ah, thx, could've sworn I'd checked qobuz and didn't see it. I may just be internet-impaired today. I'd ended up just getting it via hdtracks using the AUGSTORE20 code that @allegate mentioned above, which is basically the same price then. Good to have options!

By the way, Halsey has a Bandcamp. But this album isn't on it. All her other albums are though.
    orly? I'm still unable to find that one (not that I'm super interested in her previous albums anyway, tbh); the ones I'd found were:
    - https://halsey.bandcamp.com/
    - https://thebandhalsey.bandcamp.com/
    ... neither of which were hers. It's a good sign if the others are on there, though; perhaps this one'll show up on Bandcamp eventually too. Thx!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    This album has really got me asking...just who is next for TR and AR to work with and what would that sound like...someone get Baby Metal or hikaru utada on the phone damnit!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Ah, thx, could've sworn I'd checked qobuz and didn't see it. I may just be internet-impaired today. I'd ended up just getting it via hdtracks using the AUGSTORE20 code that @allegate mentioned above, which is basically the same price then. Good to have options!

orly? I'm still unable to find that one (not that I'm super interested in her previous albums anyway, tbh); the ones I'd found were:
    - https://halsey.bandcamp.com/
    - https://thebandhalsey.bandcamp.com/
    ... neither of which were hers. It's a good sign if the others are on there, though; perhaps this one'll show up on Bandcamp eventually too. Thx!
    https://iamhalsey.bandcamp.com

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    does it though? You can compare the demos of Jimmy Eat World's album Futures with the finished tracks and they get pretty close, just shinier, so I figure it's probably close.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    It's completely baffling that this wasn't on the album. Especially with the legendary Mike Garson playing piano like that on it. Why on Earth would you relegate this to bonus track status when there's plenty of room on the album??
    Oh...My....I was struggling with what tracks would wind up in radio rotation and that immediately stands out. That being excluded from the album is not something I'm not capable of understanding, our simulation is glitching.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Mike Garson on the bonus track? People Disappear Here - Halsey
    this is badass. why isn’t it on the record?!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Since your in AZ you probably couldve reserved a copy at ZIA or another local store that had the uncensored version.
    Just checked one of the Zias, and an indie store out here - both said the orange variant was “backed up” and they hadn’t even gotten them in yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm really enjoying this album. It's not nearly as NIN-ish as i expected, although the production is unmistakeable. I'm not a fan of sugary, plastic pop, and this doesn't feel like that at all. At points it reminds me of some tracks from the Underworld movie soundtrack, the first one. It has a 90s alternative feel to it which i really dig.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    lol basically all this..

After like half a dozen more listens, I can safely say it's strictly her that ruins this album for me. Her vocals are just so bland and..fake. Like, I've heard a hundred other pop starlets who sound exactly like this; she just has the benefit of having a Nine Inch Nails album to sing over..

Instrumentally, it fucking bangs. But I can't count how many times I just wish she'd be quiet so I could hear the musicianship happening underneath. Lilith is a prime example of this. The only time the entire thing comes together for me is on Lighthouse, and not just because Trent's on it. Same deal with the bonus tracks. People Disappear Here and Nightmare are both instrumentally fantastic. It's her vocals that grate..

If an instrumental version of this appears, I'll play it as much as NIN proper and the score work, no question..
    Same way I feel, there's something about Halsey's voice that makes it impossible for me to listen to it for a long time. 'Grating' is a good way to describe their voice, like you said. This would had slapped with a different vocalist. A Caroline Polachek album produced by TR+AR would be golden. Glad to see other people are enjoying this album.

I saw the IMAX film yesterday, it seems like Halsey has such a dedicated fanbase! A couple girls were handing out custom-made movie tickets for the showing. I asked them if they were from the record label, and they said they were from a fan club.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    does it though? You can compare the demos of Jimmy Eat World's album Futures with the finished tracks and they get pretty close, just shinier, so I figure it's probably close.
    From what I’ve read in that NME article it sounds like Halsey had written and recorded the demos, they were sent, and then reproduced to be much more experimental with the TR+AR touch.

I think those saying it could be more messed up… I think it’s exactly the right balance. I like that veering into madness that this takes sometimes but it never truly goes off the deep end like NIN can tend to do.

One of my favourite current pop acts is Charli XCX, and the start of Track 10 or end of visions is that veering off, but she can put those tracks in the same release as some of her poppiest tracks.

I for one welcome the new Halsey/NIN fans converted by this new record.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Anyone have a handle on Nightmare (Reprise)? I make it a point not to buy anything from Walmart.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastentrance View Post
    Mike Garson on the bonus track? People Disappear Here - Halsey
    This is on the target exclusive vinyl version - happy I’m picking that copy up today - this song is great

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Initial thoughts:
    1. Through one listen I really like the album. So much so, my second listen is coming as soon as I post this.
    2. I had no idea what to expect. I've never listened to Halsey, save for some clips when this was announced. Not bad but also not my thing. After digesting this some more I'll give her previous stuff a fair shake.
    3. I really like her voice and her vocal cadence. She has a very interesting style and I like it.
    4. Would probably agree that overall it's less NIN than I was expecting, which is perfectly fine. With that said there are many many quintessential TR + AR elements here and there.
    5. I'm Not A Woman, I'm A God is probably my favorite right now but I suspect it's due to having heard it on the second trailer. My only disappointment is the descending synth isn't some sort of isolated breakdown as in the trailer. I'd love for the song to be a bit longer, too.
    6. The bonus track is great. Probably the closest thing to NIN w/ guest vocalist Halsey. Is that Pino on bass? Thanks to @Lastentrance for sharing!
    7. and with that <presses play>

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Demogorgon View Post
    Anyone have a handle on Nightmare (Reprise)? I make it a point not to buy anything from Walmart.
    Was discussing this with another collector and Walmart DL code is pointing to the Target content (file titled Halsey-iichliwp_Target_xcl) with People Disappear and a live version of Gasoline. Way to go folks, this ridiculous number of variants keeps on giving.

On another note, the IMAX version may be relatively low numbered. Someone on Gaga board put it around 3,000 by doing some shopify trickery right after the imax let out. I did something similar at it shows an error stating all 1447 copies are in my cart.

Edit: It's decrementing so the ~3k seems legit for now, then again NIN did similar and you'd see it bump up by 5-10k at a time as stock dropped. I guess we'll see, I can't imagine god money will allow for any of these to actually be rare enough for them to appreciate in value on the secondary market.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 08-27-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Was discussing this with another collector and Walmart DL code is pointing to the Target content (file titled Halsey-iichliwp_Target_xcl) with People Disappear and a live version of Gasoline. Way to go folks, this ridiculous number of variants keeps on giving.

On another note, the IMAX version may be relatively low numbered. Someone on Gaga board put it around 3,000 by doing some shopify trickery right after the imax let out. I did something similar at it shows an error stating all 1447 copies are in my cart.

gotta hand it to the pop stans who have figured out the pre order trickery.

This is a nice clip. And the Full Zane Lowe interview is out Monday. Hopefully something about the movie also follows.

https://twitter.com/halsey/status/14...525648897?s=21

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post
    This is on the target exclusive vinyl version - happy I’m picking that copy up today - this song is great

Since I was just there - and didn't/don't need two vinyl copies - I just grabbed the CD and it's on there as well.

and lol at the "exclusive poster" that's advertised on the cd.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    my urban outfitters vinyl that i ordered weeks ago is back ordered. boo. anyone else get that email?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsChrisRoss View Post

Is it actually pressed on the record or is it more variant trickery?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'll echo the notion that Halsey's vocals (the timbre, the delivery) aren't as interesting as the instrumental and wear me out fast (such is the case with most pop vocalists), BUT I think the mix doesn't help by making them the focal point by a large margin.

If I could change anything, I'd bring up the instrumental to really envelop the listener. You know this is still a pop record at the end of the day because, from a mixing standpoint, the vocals are clearly separated from everything else. Your attention is guided to them no matter how intense or interesting the other aspects of the track are. Even on the harsher songs, the instrumental feels like it's compressed and tucked into the background behind Halsey. I'd love to hear a version of the album where everything is on equal footing and really swallows the listener whole. That might help address the concerns some folks have about voice.

I also have to say that the lyrics are great. Poetic, descriptive, and honestly not a far cry from what Trent was writing at Halsey's age. Would be a shame to cut that out. Rather than lose the vocals entirely, why not mix the whole thing like a non-pop record so every component shines and it's easier to latch onto whichever part catches you in the moment?
    Last edited by Blade3327; 08-27-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Is it actually pressed on the record or is it more variant trickery?
    Will let you know when I pick it up later today

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    my urban outfitters vinyl that i ordered weeks ago is back ordered. boo. anyone else get that email?

I stopped by my local UO in Manhattan to try and grab a copy and they said they were "having problems getting them in". I asked what he meant and the dude said "that's what they told him to tell anyone asking about it".

So...ARG?

EDIT: Okay...just called them back to see if, maybe, it had shown up and they just told me it's in stock 9/24.
    Last edited by paul_guyet; 08-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    ...they said they were "having problems getting them in". I asked what he meant and the dude said "that's what they told him to tell anyone asking about it".
    I'm picturing a pile of boxes stacked just outside the backdoor but they're too heavy for anyone to move.