Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The "Official" Grunge thread

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I actually have the original vinyls for these but I'll gladly taken them on cd, they are hard to find now. Endino remaster should be ok.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Nymphs just re-released their sole album, remastered with new liner notes. It's been OOP for years.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New Mark Lanegan album out, 4/28.

https://www.amazon.com/Gargoyle-Mark...9241114&sr=1-1

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really like that band Silverchair. I saw one of their videos on Stingray and was immediately hooked. It doesn't hurt that the lead singer is drop dead gorgeous. Too bad they broke up. I know a lot of people compare them to Nirvana and the vocalist looks like Kurt, but I don't care. Bush was heavily influenced by Nirvana as well. A lot of bands in the 90's and early 00's were.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    newer band from the UK doing this sound.

https://milkteethpunx.bandcamp.com/album/smiling-politely

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Shawn Smith has died, sad end for him too. On April 5th of all days.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thoughts on Days Of The New?

I was listening to their 1997 debut the other day--not bad at all, sounds a lot like Jar of Flies-era Alice In Chains. The album sounds a little repetitive after a while, but they were only teenagers when this was recorded. I'm pretty sure I saw them, opening up for Aerosmith. I know they are more post-grunge than grunge, but close enough.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Thoughts on Days Of The New?

I was listening to their 1997 debut the other day--not bad at all, sounds a lot like Jar of Flies-era Alice In Chains. The album sounds a little repetitive after a while, but they were only teenagers when this was recorded. I'm pretty sure I saw them, opening up for Aerosmith. I know they are more post-grunge than grunge, but close enough.
    Travis Meeks had an incredible amount of talent (that he unfortunately pissed away). His voice was top notch and his guitar playing was equally impressive. But what made him really special was his ability to arrange layers of acoustic guitars and weave them into these soundscapes (almost like a classical composer or someone writing world music). His high water mark was Days of the New’s second album (“Green”). Definitely check that out if you like the first record. It’s got less in the way of hooks and radio type choruses, but much more substance.

I’ll never forget seeing them open for Metallica and Cantrell in the summer of 1998. He sort of blew everyone off the stage, despite being being like 19 years old and getting a 25 minute timeslot. Unfortunately, he was full blown addicted to meth by like 2001.

PS- Sadly ironic that Mike Starr OD’d in Travis’ car..

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post
    Travis Meeks had an incredible amount of talent (that he unfortunately pissed away). His voice was top notch and his guitar playing was equally impressive. But what made him really special was his ability to arrange layers of acoustic guitars and weave them into these soundscapes (almost like a classical composer or someone writing world music). His high water mark was Days of the New’s second album (“Green”). Definitely check that out if you like the first record. It’s got less in the way of hooks and radio type choruses, but much more substance.

I’ll never forget seeing them open for Metallica and Cantrell in the summer of 1998. He sort of blew everyone off the stage, despite being being like 19 years old and getting a 25 minute timeslot. Unfortunately, he was full blown addicted to meth by like 2001.

Thanks, man. I never really followed DOTN. WAAF in Boston used to play them all the time, then I never heard from them again. I've heard Tantric, an off-shoot band and wasn't very impressed.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This album rules:

Playlist to listen to the whole album is there.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure View Post

I've been listening to "Green" a lot lately for some reason. The way the album opens with the horses galloping...such a huge sound. "Red" wasn't as good but I wonder if my general mood at the time might have fed into that?
    The album, released two weeks after the September 11, 2001 attacks with very little promotion, sold 90,000 copies.
    I mean I still have issues listening to the SOAD album because of that. I feel like Purple (or whatever it would have been called) could have been great if it weren't for the meth problem.

There's a solo acoustic album that I don't remember how it was released but it was really good, just him playing this texture-rich songs by himself but somehow retaining most of that texture. Pretty amazing to listen to.

also because I'm bored waiting for email responses on this Friday morn I found a YouTube page that created all of the 'missed' albums via various ways and means and is now an official DOTN source. The playlists for the albums can be found there. Interesting.
    2004 Days of the New (Purple)
    2008 Days of the New Presents Tree Colors (Rainbow)
    2014 Aqua Marine Shuttle (Blue EP)