Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2022

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Very random spotting, NIN/TR was referenced on Kevin Smith's podcast Fatman Beyond although this is a special episode of Blackman Beyond because Kevin is away so it's Marc Bernardin and a guest.

Timestamp: 1:17:09

Context: Someone in the audience asked who they would want to do the theme and soundtrack for the MCU Blade movie.
    Marc has brought up TR/AR a couple of times, I think he's a fan.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @allegate Ahhh yeah i don't manage to catch every pod so prob missed last time he brought them up, I'm guessing it would have been around when the HBO Watchmen show dropped though.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Fuck yeah "Wish" on piano:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Fuck yeah "Wish" on piano:
    She's amazing. I love all the covers that she does.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Think this is a new interview? Or is this just the Fan Day Q&A event again?
    EDIT: It's a re-airing of the Fan Day Q&A event

Last edited by sonic_discord; 10-18-2022 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Confirming what I suspected

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Zendaya Trained for Three Months to Play Tennis Player in ‘Challengers,’ Luca Guadagnino’s Upcoming ‘Sexy Comedy’

The new project TR/AR are scoring for Guadagnino called Challengers is a "sexy comedy" about tennis...
    as a lifelong tennis player, this amuses me, because I never saw my love of NIИ and tennis colliding.

Edit: just saw post about it over in Score threads, but worth a mention here, too, eh?
    Last edited by magnolia; 10-18-2022 at 09:19 AM.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Think this is a new interview? Or is this just the Fan Day Q&A event again?
    EDIT: It's a re-airing of the Fan Day Q&A event

Anyone else's OCD kicking in looking at Richard's hair, making him slightly taller than Atticus and feel he should be on the far left so everything is uniform?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    recently uploaded MTV commercial from 1994, promoting it's new online service. Heresy played as background music:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    recently uploaded MTV commercial from 1994, promoting it's new online service. Heresy played as background music:
    Ooo sounds very deconstructed. I love Heresy's demo, sounds similar to it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Also bits of Closer (Further Away).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The Story Behind How Producer Rick Rubin Got Johnny Cash To Cover Nine Inch Nail’s ‘Hurt’
    “I played him the song first and Johnny just looked at me like I was insane, because the Nine Inch Nails version of the song is very noisy, aggressive. Johnny was wary! [Laughs] And I think I did a demo where I had a guitar player play it, and I said the words the way I imagined him saying it, and then when he heard the lyrics, and he heard the format of what it could be, he said, ‘Let’s try it.’”

Later on in the conversation, Rubin talks about working with Johnny on American IV: The Man Comes Around, and mentions the following about “Hurt”:

“I thought of the image of Johnny Cash as the mythical man in black, and any song he sang had to suit this mythical man in black. And one of the ones that seemed to have resonated with people after we did it was the Nine Inch Nails song Hurt. And if you listen to the words, it’s like looking back over a life of regret and remorse.”

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i've heard this quote from rubin before and it makes no sense to me... it would make sense for something like cash's cover of rusty cage or some of the other tracks they covered in the american sessions, but hurt? as a song it's clear and melodic and catches you immediately, the only dissonance is the ending... and it's not like his version drastically changed anything about the song, they just, y'know, session musician-ed it.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    as a song it's clear and melodic and catches you immediately, the only dissonance is the ending...
    Well that depends on the circumstances in which you hear it... On a bluetooth speaker yeah it's a clear sound, on good speakers or headphones the distortion in everything is obvious, it's not "clean".

It cleans up easy, sure, and it is melodic, but the sound is actually dirty, twisted, albeit subtly. And maybe the issue wasn't quite the melody, but how it sounded, something that's far removed from what Cash would obviously go to. And perhaps it only took Rubin to tell him "wait, I'll play it on piano, see how it sounds to you then, we'll see about the crown of shit stuff after"...

Rubin presents it as if the sound was the issue, but yeah, I suspect it was just where Cash objected, with a general mood of "why would you want me to sing that one especially ?".

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Well that depends on the circumstances in which you hear it... On a bluetooth speaker yeah it's a clear sound, on good speakers or headphones the distortion in everything is obvious, it's not "clean".

It cleans up easy, sure, and it is melodic, but the sound is actually dirty, twisted, albeit subtly. And maybe the issue wasn't quite the melody, but how it sounded, something that's far removed from what Cash would obviously go to. And perhaps it only took Rubin to tell him "wait, I'll play it on piano, see how it sounds to you then, we'll see about the crown of shit stuff after"...

Rubin presents it as if the sound was the issue, but yeah, I suspect it was just where Cash objected, with a general mood of "why would you want me to sing that one especially ?".
    The video was the push over the cliff on that one. Bottom line is Trent wrote Johnny's last hit which if kind of mind blowing when you think about it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Huh? Cash's version made a massive change to the song. It changes the chorus from a 'minor' chord sequence to a 'major' chord sequence. It's about as big a change as you can do to a song...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i still think rubin's quote makes no sense. he's talking like he played johnny cash mr. self destruct. cash was a lifelong musician and hurt is the most "standard" song trent has ever written and produced, with some of his clearest lyrics. kinda universal. that's why it's fucking hurt. i still think rubin's description makes no sense. maybe i'm nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    Huh? Cash's version made a massive change to the song. It changes the chorus from a 'minor' chord sequence to a 'major' chord sequence. It's about as big a change as you can do to a song...
    i think that's literally the simplest change you can make to a song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    (As much as I don’t like continuing threads on NIN Spotting)

“Noisy” - from an audio engineers point of view, for a track that is mainly vocal and acoustic guitar, the song is incredibly noisy. The degradation of the guitar and background hiss ramped up is so over the top. When I first heard Hurt I thought I’d gotten a bum copy of the track

“Aggressive” - definitely if you’re comparing it to a lot of the music Cash had made to that point, and continued to do. The straining vocals in the chorus and the acidity of the vocals in the verses, it is aggressive - especially for a country singer to consider.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i get what some of you are saying... kind of. but this was the fourth in a series of albums that they'd been doing for nearly a decade. he covered soundgarden's rusty cage. he covered nick cave's the mercy seat, which is a fucking INSANE song. also, he's not a fucking baby. in my head, rubin is probably conflating a few different experiences because i just can't imagine that reaction to a song like hurt... which history has proven is NOT an acquired taste, it's a pretty fucking universal song. ����♂️ but ok we can stop cluttering up the spotting thread.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by laz001 View Post
    It changes the chorus from a 'minor' chord sequence to a 'major' chord sequence. It's about as big a change as you can do to a song...
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    i think that's literally the simplest change you can make to a song.
    A big change and a simple change are not mutually exclusive. Imagine putting a bass drum on the downbeat of the whole song. Super simple but would also be a massive change.

My two cents to all of this is that yes, as NIN songs go, Hurt is pretty straightforward. But it's not also crazy to think that Johnny Cash, having likely never heard a NIN song, could be played Hurt (in the context of him covering it) and go, "huh?"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    One of the correspondents from the Showtime political series, The Circus, was wearing a green NIN logo t-shirt in the most recent episodes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Trent did an interstitial station ID for Soma FMs "Doomed" Halloween special:

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Greyson Nekrutman once again going beast mode:

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Trent did an interstitial station ID for Soma FMs "Doomed" Halloween special:
    Is this worth trying to capture? The Song History on their web page doesn't give credits for the Station IDs, and I'm not paying $7.99 to download their iOS app, so I don't know which Station ID is the Reznor one.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    randomly watching old SNL skits, and thee's a NIN sticker on a garbage can. episode is from 1999.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Made a tube.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Figured people here might be interested in knowing:

Rob Sheridan is doing a Beside You In Time live-watch and Q&A today at 6:30 pm EST. You have to be a supporter of his on Patreon to join, but you can do that for literally just $3, and you gain access to a lot of other cool content as well.

All the info is over on his Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/robsheridan

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    About 26 minutes in...check the shirt...