Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: NIN Fan Day Sept 23 with live Q&A at Rock Hall

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Ilan has yet to play a single note on a Nine Inch Nails record, right?
    No, he was on Hesitation Marks a little bit.

I hate when people try to cram every instrument possible in these band timelines at wikipedia like the one above. Sure, let's add guitar for Jerome because he played it on one song on Still. And what's going on with everyone else there is also ridiculous. These things are not supposed to represent all instruments, only primary ones.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It's funny; I was thinking about whether I felt like anyone was missing, and I couldn't think of anyone who fits the bill quite as well as the nine guys on stage. I figured being an on-stage member of the band must be a prerequisite, or else someone like Alan Moulder could be in the mix.

But of course, of the on-stage people, many of them have just been hired guns. Even Aaron North, who gets mentioned a lot, was just a live member for one (albeit extended) tour cycle. Josh Freese lasted a bit longer, but Ilan, Alessandro, and (obviously) Robin have been around for 10+ years. And over those 10 years, NIN hasn't released a ton of music, so the live show has kind of taken precedence as the main Nine Inch Nails "experience" or whatever you want to call it.

And if you look at Wikipedia's live member chart, Danny, Charlie, Chris, and Jerome are the only ones with that kind of longevity. But then add to that the fact that Chris and Richard were there at the beginning, and Danny and Charlie were actively involved in helping to craft the actual music during their tenures.

So I think Jerome qualifies in both those regards, being a live member for a number of years and being involved in actually making the music (Ilan has yet to play a single note on a Nine Inch Nails record, right?), but you can also see how he maybe just falls short of the mark, neither being an original member nor a current one. Charlie's kind of in that same boat, but he's such a huge part of the sound of NIN during their most notable era, so he just feels a bit more on the essential side.
    Looking at NIN Tour History, and these might be off by a show or two, but Jerome played 139 shows, Josh played 212. So not even close.

Jerome played drums on the chorus of WITT, one or two tracks on Still (Becoming for sure, but others I believe are just the video versions and not the ones on the actual album) and two songs on WT (With Teeth and Home).

Josh is credited for drums on YZ (Hyperpower and Capital G), along with songs on The Slip (don't see any specific songs mentioned but I would assume more than one).

If live show work was a metric, then Josh would be ahead, but given how many bands he's in, I'm sure he has more of a hired gun mentality about it. Not trying to dismiss Jerome's tenure with the band, but Charlie did much more in the studio, from The Perfect Drug through The Fragile, co-wrote a few songs on the album, so I think he would be ahead of Jerome in line, so to speak. I don't know his start date but if you start at top of 1995, then around 150 shows. And as I mentioned earlier, I do wonder if they ever patched things up between them.

Richard clocks in at 193 shows, so he's ahead of Charlie in live shows, but was also around during the early years, good friends with Trent, and so that history is probably a big part of it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Jerome played drums on the chorus of WITT, one or two tracks on Still (Becoming for sure, but others I believe are just the video versions and not the ones on the actual album) and two songs on WT (With Teeth and Home).

Josh is credited for drums on YZ (Hyperpower and Capital G), along with songs on The Slip (don't see any specific songs mentioned but I would assume more than one).
    Okay, then yeah, Josh and Jerome are a bit more equal than I had realized. In general, it's tricky with drummers who are basically just hired to play on tour and then maybe come into the studio for a couple tracks. They're not really shaping the music the way someone like Charlie was, as you mentioned.

Ilan is in the same situation, being mostly just a touring member, but again, he's been the only drummer for 13 years, so more than a third of the life of the band. It would be really interesting if he was no longer playing with them whether he would have been on the list of inductees. I'd have to guess probably not, but he's the only drummer that was around for that long, so it's hard to say.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    So, with his induction into the R&R HOF, I guess we could say that when it comes to music, Trent Reznor Nine inch Nailed it.

(also, can we get banned from ets for making terrible puns? I guess I'm about to find out)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Okay, then yeah, Josh and Jerome are a bit more equal than I had realized. In general, it's tricky with drummers who are basically just hired to play on tour and then maybe come into the studio for a couple tracks. They're not really shaping the music the way someone like Charlie was, as you mentioned.

Ilan is in the same situation, being mostly just a touring member, but again, he's been the only drummer for 13 years, so more than a third of the life of the band. It would be really interesting if he was no longer playing with them whether he would have been on the list of inductees. I'd have to guess probably not, but he's the only drummer that was around for that long, so it's hard to say.
    I would be interested in who has played the most shows. Probably Chris

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    I would be interested in who has played the most shows. Probably Chris
    HiH has more accurate stats due to a lot of uncorrected errors in early dates on NIN Tour History:
    https://happinessinheresy.com/nin-members/

Ilan actually just recently passed Chris with 295 shows now to Chris’ 285 shows. Josh is next with 216 and then Jerome with 142.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    HiH has more accurate stats due to a lot of uncorrected errors in early dates on NIN Tour History:
    https://happinessinheresy.com/nin-members/

Ilan actually just recently passed Chris with 295 shows now to Chris’ 285 shows. Josh is next with 216 and then Jerome with 142.
    Does that account for when Chris left in 1990? Didn't Jeff Ward drum for the rest of that era?
    https://www.nin.wiki/Jeff_Ward

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Does that account for when Chris left in 1990? Didn't Jeff Ward drum for the rest of that era?
    https://www.nin.wiki/Jeff_Ward
    Yes, HiH has the most accurate list of performance dates and band line-ups. You can click on Chris's "285 concerts" on that link to see the list of shows.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    No, he was on Hesitation Marks a little bit.

I hate when people try to cram every instrument possible in these band timelines at wikipedia like the one above. Sure, let's add guitar for Jerome because he played it on one song on Still. And what's going on with everyone else there is also ridiculous. These things are not supposed to represent all instruments, only primary ones.
    Wait so we aren't going to add Tommy Lee to the graph?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    Wait so we aren't going to add Tommy Lee to the graph?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    That picture never gets old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Regarding Jerome not being included - here’s my take:

I noticed a running theme during the Q&A where the interviewer kept asking each member how their past experience in the band connects to their art after being in the band until now. I wouldn’t be shocked if TR suggested for her to do this questioning. Kind of like, “don’t make it all about me and NIN, make it about them.” So each former member up there has definitely done something impactful with their career. Richard with Filter, Charlie with his soundtrack work (most notably Saw), Danny with all his projects and production work and Chris with his performing career, programming and teaching. Also Charlie, Danny, and Chris had a lot of creative involvement, programming, and actually ended up on NIN material so there’s that as well. But they all seem to work so hard in the music world, its like TR wanted to honor them with their relevance in music history.

What has Jerome done since NIN? Not much it seems. But it could also be a sour relationship with TR and JD is holding on to the grudge. Who knows….

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    What has Jerome done since NIN? Not much it seems. But it could also be a sour relationship with TR and JD is holding on to the grudge. Who knows….
    I can’t remember if anyone posted this here, but Jerome did put out a statement on Twitter last weekend. It’s very diplomatic, so hard to say if there are any lingering bad feelings:

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    That lady is all sorts of (good) trouble.....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbeyond View Post
    Regarding Jerome not being included - here’s my take:

I noticed a running theme during the Q&A where the interviewer kept asking each member how their past experience in the band connects to their art after being in the band until now. I wouldn’t be shocked if TR suggested for her to do this questioning. Kind of like, “don’t make it all about me and NIN, make it about them.” So each former member up there has definitely done something impactful with their career. Richard with Filter, Charlie with his soundtrack work (most notably Saw), Danny with all his projects and production work and Chris with his performing career, programming and teaching. Also Charlie, Danny, and Chris had a lot of creative involvement, programming, and actually ended up on NIN material so there’s that as well. But they all seem to work so hard in the music world, its like TR wanted to honor them with their relevance in music history.

Basically right after he left NIN, he put out his nearLY album with Claudia Sarne (Atticus Ross' wife, 12 Rounds singer). It's a really good album, I still enjoy listening to it now. It has a really nice atmosphere to it, and it really feels like an artistic statement. The main drama between him and TR came out when Jerome was doing some interviews for this record, and he claimed that he had given some material to Trent and that he expressed interest in producing it. That's when Trent shot back in an interview denying that he ever offered to produce it, and seemed angry that Jerome was out there lying about this stuff. I don't recall what the interview was but that's kind of where things spilled out into the open.

Anyway, after that, aside from some very low budget film score work, it doesn't seem like he has had much going on.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The main drama between him and TR came out when Jerome was doing some interviews for this record, and he claimed that he had given some material to Trent and that he expressed interest in producing it. That's when Trent shot back in an interview denying that he ever offered to produce it, and seemed angry that Jerome was out there lying about this stuff. I don't recall what the interview was but that's kind of where things spilled out into the open.
    This is the interview you're thinking of.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Basically right after he left NIN, he put out his nearLY album with Claudia Sarne (Atticus Ross' wife, 12 Rounds singer). It's a really good album, I still enjoy listening to it now. It has a really nice atmosphere to it, and it really feels like an artistic statement. The main drama between him and TR came out when Jerome was doing some interviews for this record, and he claimed that he had given some material to Trent and that he expressed interest in producing it. That's when Trent shot back in an interview denying that he ever offered to produce it, and seemed angry that Jerome was out there lying about this stuff. I don't recall what the interview was but that's kind of where things spilled out into the open.

Anyway, after that, aside from some very low budget film score work, it doesn't seem like he has had much going on.
    He drummed on some Gary Numan tracks (Halo and Haunted) in 2006: https://www.discogs.com/release/2077...y-Numan-Jagged

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    He drummed on some Gary Numan tracks (Halo and Haunted) in 2006: https://www.discogs.com/release/2077...y-Numan-Jagged
    I believe he recorded his tracks in 2005 when NIN was touring in Europe. Don't remember where I read that, but it was at the time. I think he's on three songs.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Ouch.
    Last edited by trollmanen; 10-03-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Jerome on eight halos? Yes, though that's partly because "We're in This Together" is repeated across two, and "Love Is Not Enough (Live at Rehearsals)" is repeated across three, and he's miming in the "Hand That Feeds" video...

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    jerome on eight halos? Yes, though that's partly because "we're in this together" is repeated across two, and "love is not enough (live at rehearsals)" is repeated across three, and he's miming in the "hand that feeds" video...
    lol.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    i think the exact right choices were made for the reunion, but if we were gonna add one more to me it would be josh freese, not jerome. it felt like josh's personality seeped into the band and their online presence more, and he was on the tours that cemented NIN as a must see live band.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howdidislipinto View Post
    i think the exact right choices were made for the reunion, but if we were gonna add one more to me it would be josh freese, not jerome. it felt like josh's personality seeped into the band and their online presence more, and he was on the tours that cemented NIN as a must see live band.
    I LIKE Josh Freese more and definitely agree that he fit in with TR & the rest of the band more, but Jerome has more studio contributions and a longer tenure. Still, the people who have been most important to the band over the years were present in Cleveland 10 days ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone remember Alex Carapetis?

Justice for Carpentis.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post

Justice for Carpentis.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Pretty sure Alex is doing fine, he's been with Julian Casablancas & The Voidz for years and he's stll there last I checked

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    I was chuffed to see on my NIN Tour History profile that I had seen Alex play one show!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I saw Alex Carapetis once – it was his fourth show with NIN. I remember they had an easel set up in front of the drum kit, which I assume had stuff to help him remember how to play the songs, since he was brought in with such short notice. He did fine, but I was disappointed because I wanted to see Josh Freese play with NIN. I actually only saw Freese with NIN once, too (which was on the Lights in the Sky tour).

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I have one of the With Teeth tour posters signed by the band - with Alex and all!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    This conversation is starting to get a little uncomfortable to read y’all. Maybe let’s not speculate about someone’s health conditions.
    I agree. I was not speculating. I was just noting that it was briefly discussed by him, I think it was on Cevin Key's podcast but don't recall. The bottom line is it is kinda rude to assume someone is messed up on drugs without any other consideration. I think he seems like a really funny and genuine guy. I was blown away by him playing with NIN again and his last run with Billy Howerdel. He can live his life how he choses. I am only interested in what he selects to reveal publicly (such as stories in interviews and such) and his art. Anything else is not my business.