Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us (HBO series based on the PS3 game)

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Episode 5 was amazing. Spoiler: When the big motherfucker ripped off the dude's head

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Spoiler: When the big motherfucker ripped off the dude's head
    Something that would have typically been a death animation for Joel lol

We're 6 episodes deep now, feels a bit like a speedrun of the game with where we're at. (even though it's heavily abridged and approaches are a little different)

Tonight we got to see some monkey business and the dam made a cameo appearance at the very least.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    i binged the whole thing in a few days and i really loved it. way better than the walking dead. i cried most of episode 3. last night’s episode hit me where it hurts -abandonment.

Spoiler: I find it interesting that the underlying plot line for the spread is diet. if you’re eating flour and sugar in a city, you’re fucked.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Lalalalalalalalalalalalala it's not The Walking Dead lalalalalalalala my fingers are in my ears.
    @thelastdisciple is this thing somehow better than Rick, and Daryl, and Morgan, and Negan, and Michonne?

Idk. Idgaf HOW good it is. The answer is no.

That's just me, though.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-21-2023 at 02:24 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    way better than the Walking Dead IMO

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Depeche Mode for the win

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    And I really thought Spoiler: those monkeys were going to eat the damn horse, lol. In The Walking Dead, the horses always die.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    @elevenism There are a lot of similarities, but I'm liking it better than TWD. Negan will always have a place in my heart though.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    And I really thought Spoiler: those monkeys were going to eat the damn horse, lol. In The Walking Dead, the horses always die.
    I was wondering how Spoiler: they remained uninfected but then I realized they don't really eat flour and sugar and they're too damn fast for Spoiler: a bite transmittal. especially since they removed the spores from the game.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    @elevenism There are a lot of similarities, but I'm liking it better than TWD. Negan will always have a place in my heart though.
    WHAAAA FUUUUUUCk NOOOOO!

Now I KNOW not to watch it, so I'm not tempted to say such blasphemy.

Jokes aside, the reception to this is exciting (I have the extant episodes, but haven't watched them).

This is gonna be the first fan beloved, critically acclaimed video game adaptation.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    you'd love it el! worth a watch.

I'm probably biased as I loved the games. the quality of it though is excellent- writing, acting, production, set designs. I never watched HBO shows before this but I've always heard they deliver with the budgets, and I think that's the biggest takeaway from this. I wish TWD had a budget like this. (which still featured stellar acting and writing for the most part)

I recommend fans of the show listen to the podcast too. new podcast episodes come out after episodes air. it's also uploaded onto HBO Max's youtube channel.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Depeche Mode for the win
    sung by I believe the game creator's daughter.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you'd love it el! worth a watch.

I'm probably biased as I loved the games. the quality of it though is excellent- writing, acting, production, set designs. I never watched HBO shows before this but I've always heard they deliver with the budgets, and I think that's the biggest takeaway from this. I wish TWD had a budget like this. (which still featured stellar acting and writing for the most part)

I recommend fans of the show listen to the podcast too. new podcast episodes come out after episodes air. it's also uploaded onto HBO Max's youtube channel.
    oh man, I took a two week vacation back in October and I'm still catching up to podcasts - I'm finally in January! - so geez.

OTOH two of my favorites shows imploded in the last month, one due to a corporate buyout and the other because three of the five have kids and finding time is hard, so I guess eventually I'll have more time as I catch up to those expired feeds. sigh.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    While watching I keep thinking "this is the show The Walking Dead should have been."

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    @elevenism For as much as they share similarities they're both pretty different shows also.

I find myself actually thinking of The Road while I'm watching rather than The Walking Dead although certainly there are those familiar post-apocalyptic aspects..

Anyways yeah this is a well done adaptation of the game so far, I'm loving it. I think for TLOU it's better in a way you might look at something that's considered cinema verses a movie, there's definitely a quality difference here.

I love TWD, some seasons more than others but it feels kinda cheap in comparison.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    @elevenism For as much as they share similarities they're both pretty different shows also.

I find myself actually thinking of The Road while I'm watching rather than The Walking Dead although certainly there are those familiar post-apocalyptic aspects..

Anyways yeah this is a well done adaptation of the game so far, I'm loving it. I think for TLOU it's better in a way you might look at something that's considered cinema verses a movie, there's definitely a quality difference here.

I love TWD, some seasons more than others but it feels kinda cheap in comparison.
    I've ALWAYS been big into HBO, going back to Oz and such.
    And I checked out a.bit.of TLOU.

It's apples and oranges.

I ALWAYS wished TWD had been adapted by HBO or Showtime or something.

But as far as rapidly deciding one is better than the other? Let's discuss that in like, '28 or so.

Edit: also, (what's his name...Mortenson?) from The Road IS me and Sheap's Roland of Gilead.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-23-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Bottom line, though?

This is like you guys are telling me that True Blood is "just like Buffy, but better!"

And, yeah...no. Not for me.

We're watching and digging it, but it's nothing like TWD.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

Et tu, disciple?

I quit.

I'll be over here watching TWD: Dead City, TWD: Daryl Dixon, FTWD, and holding out for the Rick and Michonne show, next year. The story is NOT over.
    TBH, I can't STAND zombie stuff, generally. TWD changed my mind, and ima keep rocking with it.

You guys enjoy your Resident Evil thing, and don't miss the Sonic the Hedgehog show.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    You guys enjoy your Resident Evil thing, and don't miss the Sonic the Hedgehog show.
    ...Really ? Even in jest, it feels petty... Or worse, Boomer-y.

I gave up on TWD a while ago and don't really feel that compelled to check TLOU out, but by all accounts it's a great post-apocalyptic drama.
    It's also a brand new one. After a while any serie falls into a "new season same old shit" routine. My favorite shows are 5 seasons long at best, preferably shorter. You can't blame people for being excited about a decent, ambitious and new sci-fi show.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    ...Really ? Even in jest, it feels petty... Or worse, Boomer-y.
    I'm dead. :P

Ok, I'll quit fucking with you guys, as it seems that I'm only amusing myself.

I actually love TLOU. Loved the game, love Pedro Pascal, love what's her name from GoT...Bella Ramsey, love the show.

I'm obsessed with ANYTHING post apocalyptic.
    TLOU 1, the game, is one of the ONLY games I bought for PS3

I just thought the idea of acting enraged was funny. I had planned to start comparing the show to the 90s Super Mario Brothers movie.
    But I'll stop.

Seriously, though, another VERY exciting bit about TLOU is that, as I predicted above, this WILL be the thing, imho, that's finally proving that, yes, video game IPs CAN be adapted into critically acclaimed live action tv/movies.

Edit: I'm NOT kidding about still being excited for TWD spinoffs, but that belongs in another thread.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-26-2023 at 08:19 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    only tangentially related but it feels like if there's a second season this could be a thing: I just found out that there is a Last of Us 2 subreddit which, normally, you'd be like, "oh hey fans of the game coming together," but you'd be wrong.
    Welcome to the most active subreddit for fans of The Last of Us. Part II is not canon!
    You cannot say you're a fan of something you actively hate. I want to argue with them but I'm not going to because as the saying goes "Don't argue with stupid, they will beat you with experience" or something like that.

Mentioned
    743 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    only tangentially related but it feels like if there's a second season this could be a thing: I just found out that there is a Last of Us 2 subreddit which, normally, you'd be like, "oh hey fans of the game coming together," but you'd be wrong. You cannot say you're a fan of something you actively hate. I want to argue with them but I'm not going to because as the saying goes "Don't argue with stupid, they will beat you with experience" or something like that.
    Do not engage. People should be fucking THRILLED that their beloved game became an acclaimed TV series.
    Also, im confused: are they saying the fucking game sequel isn't canon, or that the second season of the SHOW won't be canon?

Don't put much energy into the "ackshually" crowd, whatever the case may be. Sadly, I've learned this the hard way, in YouTube comment sections.

I'm assuming these people are from a slightly different generation, and didn't suffer through Super Mario Brothers in the nineties.
    Last edited by elevenism; 02-26-2023 at 03:14 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just finished last night's episode. I never played the DLC on which this was based. Just...wow. This show hits all the right notes for me: Great blend of the game plot while adding just enough depth by going deeper into the personal stories (e.g., Episode 5). I'm glad the show came out a few years after the game initially launched: I only played it the year it was released, so, my memory is spotty regarding all the specifics. For me, it makes it like a familiar story that is still fresh. The cast has been stellar throughout and I look forward to the rest (as well as Season 2).

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    this episode didn't derive too much from the DLC. lots of scenes/dialogue were frame by frame the same. some differences here and there of course, especially in the "now" segments. a bit more backstory to Ellie too.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    This is like you guys are telling me that True Blood is "just like Buffy, but better!"
    Speaking of Buffy..

LOOK WHO IT IS!

Last edited by thelastdisciple; 03-02-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    i loved last week’s episode. Spoiler: i do think they were a bit too loud in the mall. they obviously suffered the consequence but how did they not get the attention of their overlords being so bright and loud at night?

my husband has been watching and catching up on the episodes. he doesn’t love it as much as me. i agree with his criticisms that some episodes drag a bit but it doesn’t stop me from liking the show. episode 3 was funny Spoiler: since i pretty much cried from the moment frank showed up. sorry babe. your wife is a sap who cries over fictional relationships.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    After tonight's episode...damn. Sad to know next week is the finale. Been a hell of a ride.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)

The Last of Us (HBO series based on the PS3 game)

well i hated the episode. hbo gotta hit those tropes tho.

edit: looks like i’m in the minority which is nothing new for me. reddit and facebook loved the episode because of the writing and the acting which i don’t disagree with but i hated it for the reason mentioned above.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

edit: looks like i’m in the minority which is nothing new for me. reddit and facebook loved the episode because of the writing and the acting which i don’t disagree with but i hated it for the reason mentioned above.
    What tropes are you referring to? This episode was very faithful to the game, any changes were pretty minor this time.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post

As noted above, "Winter" was a key chapter in the game. So, I was curious if you played the game since this was faithful to it. The only thing that was changed was the action sequences, which were either condensed or omitted.