Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    But it's not about who you or me will vote for, and the conversation never was. It was about how Biden, like it or not, is overwhelmingly likely to lose by a sizable margin at this point. I was very worried pre-debate and I do not think he can rebound from what the country saw of him at that debate, because it was truly disturbing to see how completely not up to the task he was and pretty much everyone worried about this election felt that way to some extent.
    This is right. I and much of the Dem base would vote for a wet noodle over Trump. But there are undecideds and swing voters who did not like what they see. They have concerns about his age, and the debate performance only exacerbated it. And he's done nothing since then to assuage that. If he's not reading off the teleprompter, he is having difficulty stringing together coherent sentences (see ABC interview). This is a marked change from even two years ago. It does not seem like he is capable of changing that dynamic of the race. It will continue to be a defining issue of the race, when it should be focused on how bad Trump is, and I think he will lose because of it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    This is right. I and much of the Dem base would vote for a wet noodle over Trump. But there are undecideds and swing voters who did not like what they see. They have concerns about his age, and the debate performance only exacerbated it. And he's done nothing since then to assuage that. If he's not reading off the teleprompter, he is having difficulty stringing together coherent sentences (see ABC interview). This is a marked change from even two years ago. It does not seem like he is capable of changing that dynamic of the race. It will continue to be a defining issue of the race, when it should be focused on how bad Trump is, and I think he will lose because of it.
    I don't understand how it is possible for anyone to be undecided on Trump at this point. I can understand the Trumpers, they're brainwashed and receiving nothing but propaganda, their egos depend on believing it.

But I can't understand how anyone could be on the fence at this point. Have they just had the news turned off completely for the past 8 years? I don't get it.....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    here's what I don't understand: having multiple conversations in a VERY blue part of NJ, and having people who I know cursed at, hated, despised etc. Trump in 2016 and 2020, say they plan to vote for him in November. THAT concerns me (I live in a strong minority area too, so these opinions come from diverse points of views) . NJ will ultimately vote blue in November, but if my antidotal experiences are happening here, I can only imagine what's happening in the swing states.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I don't understand how it is possible for anyone to be undecided on Trump at this point. I can understand the Trumpers, they're brainwashed and receiving nothing but propaganda, their egos depend on believing it.

But I can't understand how anyone could be on the fence at this point. Have they just had the news turned off completely for the past 8 years? I don't get it.....
    It's an attention seeking, "above it all" attitude. The idea that they're just above the partisanship and better than both sides or see through the two party system or whatever other self aggrandizing bullshit. It's ego.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Referring to Zelensky as Putin, referring to Harris as Trump... Jesus Christ. You'd think his team would be walking on eggshells now.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's Feinstein all over again, except in this case we don't have a guaranteed blue pick by a governor and a sure thing vote in November if he resigns. Very scary stuff

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I don't know if you've ever heard the other jackass speak, but it's about a million miles worse than the flubs made by Biden.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    This makes a lot of sense, TBH.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ezraklein/s/qDfRjDIHja

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I don't know if you've ever heard the other jackass speak, but it's about a million miles worse than the flubs made by Biden.
    Yeah but that's not how politics work in America anymore.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Did you forget that Trump's running as a Republican, not a Democrat? Why should I give a fucking shit if the competition to the party I'm voting for is dog shit. And it's almost like the media has been raving about his inability for 10 fucking years.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Yes, but also no. Biden is doing this on television, TFG is doing it in front of people who don't care and the only people who see it are the ones watching A Closer Look for clips that Seth will make fun of. Huge difference in terms of reach.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Yes, but also no. Biden is doing this on television, TFG is doing it in front of people who don't care and the only people who see it are the ones watching A Closer Look for clips that Seth will make fun of. Huge difference in terms of reach.
    Speaking of that, I was just watching Seth Meyers and caught that clip of Trump admitting he didn’t know what NATO was up until 2 weeks before becoming president? Or something? Just… ugh…

Anyway, yeah, I see a lot of people bringing up the incoherent crazy rambling stuff Trump says, but no kidding. We’ve already established that Trump can say or do anything and ultimately it doesn’t matter. He could walk out at a rally tomorrow wearing blackface and it wouldn’t matter. He lied for an hour and a half straight during that debate, and he got away with it (and won the debate) because the guy on our side can’t handle it, apparently.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

I wouldn't cry because I don't give a fuck for either of these atrocious geriatric candidates but it's funny to see him doubling down on remaining the candidate and fucking up still on simple statements. You had a crap performance in the debate and do dumb damage control stuff like last night which does even more damage. It's comical. The fact you have to state you take cognitive tests numerously is a red flag and a joke. I remember when we didn't have to do this.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-12-2024 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why are my posts about us needing to defend ourselves to the death being deleted? I don't appreciate being silenced about a genuine fucking threat, this is a very real looming fear and you're fucking ignorant to speak otherwise. The admin's smarmy as fuck PM doesn't help. Some of us don't have the privilege of living in a blue state, so we're forced to confront our fears instead. Go ahead and ban me for responding again, I don't fucking care, all I'm saying is some of us are going to have to fight if things go wrong in November.
    Last edited by ViN; 07-12-2024 at 05:12 PM. Reason: better wording

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Speaking of that, I was just watching Seth Meyers and caught that clip of Trump admitting he didn’t know what NATO was
    RIP Bernie Mack. If only he was still here to save us...

I don't really have much to add to the discussion being had here that hasn't already been said. I will literally vote for Jill holding Joe's ashes in a tin can at this point. I hope to god that the Project 2025 thing blowing up nation wide wakes people up to the kind of thing we face.

I think the biggest issue with Biden is that he cannot do what really needs to be done this election cycle. We need someone to essentially prosecute Trump on the national stage while simultaneously saying "look, here's what we've been able to accomplish and this is our vision for the country moving forward." K.I.S.S. Almost any of the potential replacements for Biden should be able to do this effectively enough. Of course there are things I like and dislike about all of the names being floated but I'm ready to vote for whoever it ends up being. Harris, Whitmer, Newsome, some boring Dem person from some Midwest state that I've never heard of but that can articulate to the general public in a measured and concise manner what needs to be said? Yes please.

And for the love of god can we please make women the number fucking one talking point this election cycle??? I know news moves fast these days and people forget even the most horrendous shit after a week or two but I can't be the only one that sees Roe as a paradigm shift and a HUGE sign of just how far back the right is going to try and drag us (see P2025). I can't believe how close we are to going right back to this draconian, puritanical bullshit. What's next? We going back to burning witches at the stake too?

We should be working toward getting on the TOP of this list, not heading toward the tyrannical, theocratic, fascist end of the spectrum.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2023/...hts-for-women/

Fuck, I can't even talk politics anymore. It's bad for my blood pressure.
    Last edited by burnmotherfucker!; 07-12-2024 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Lets be real here though, the only reason any of this is an issue, is because most news outlets have been purchased by right-wing interests, and the Trump campaign itself has no ability to reach anyone outside of his existing base.

Biden has flaws, but he's miles ahead of Trump, and well ahead of many other successful previous candidates as well. He's got a lot more in his favour than you'd think given the media shit-storm that's going on right now.

I don't think we need to be debating who the candidate is, they'd launch another similar shit-storm about any candidate. We've got to get out and talk to people on the fence about his very real accomplishments. About how bad Trump is. About all the many reasons that Biden is the much better choice, because there doesn't seem to be any chance that Biden is dropping out.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)

I don't think we need to be debating who the candidate is, they'd launch another similar shit-storm about any candidate.
    They'd also have less time to mobilize a focused smear campaign that would resonate by November.

Additionally, on this end, Biden has lost the optics attacks. They wanted to frame him as cognitively declining, and whether or not that is true, or the degree to which it is true, doesn't even matter any more at this point. The impression has set... and I dread the next debate if it's still Biden in September.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    It's was always absurd to me that there would ever be even one debate. Now it seems beyond stupid to do another one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I humbly add my ever ignorant musings.

Biden stepping aside while endorsing a candidate could potentially be an actual power move. Him trying his best in a meaningful way.

Generally speaking it sucks that this is what things have come to. In some aspects I’d almost want Trump on my side, he’s shady as fuck and will say anything. However he’s entirely self centered. Biden while I believe has his heart in the right place is about as useful as a parrot.

As cynical as I can be this whole thing bums me out. And as with every election what will the next one look like?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    If he doesn’t step down, we can at least take solace in that his life will fade to black in utter humiliation, misery and paranoia as he deteriorates before our very eyes on the world stage and continues to embarrass himself grasping for dear life to the power of the POTUS title that he’s been chasing for most of his life. A cruel and fitting irony that he deserves (if not far worse) for the pain and suffering he’s wrought upon Gaza.
    Last edited by Aladdinsanity; 07-13-2024 at 04:48 AM.

Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    It's was always absurd to me that there would ever be even one debate. Now it seems beyond stupid to do another one
    Honestly, if Trump decides to ditch the second debate and take the W from the first, that would probably play out to Biden's benefit. In the next debate, Biden NEEDS to absolutely obliterate Trump, or it's over. Expectations are... high. Everyone is going to be watching. And, yeah, if it's someone else other than Biden, they can probably make short work of Trump in a debate. Anyone could.

And let's not forget... it wasn't just one bad night, and it wasn't like Biden didn't ask for everyone to watch that debate, to tune in, pay close attention, because he assured us he was going to dominate it...

God, watching that "make my day pal" clip now is so hard.

On a predictable side note, the Trump camp is apparently hoping that Biden doesn't drop out, and is walking on egg shells hoping not to scare him off the ballot. JD Vance has said that it would be an offense to democracy if he dropped out. Lara Trump apparently said something?

Makes sense they'd want Biden to stay in.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 07-13-2024 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Please tell me the Trump camp is living off of a Trump card that is a about to get declined indefinitely.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Holy shit Trump was just shot at a rally. Bullet grazed his ear.

https://x.com/acyn/status/1812249329...29R-npQKXgiX_w

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Fucking insanity, wow

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Scammer is always scamming. Until there’s details proving otherwise, I’m going with it being staged especially if no one was hurt. UPDATE: That initial info was incorrect. People were hurt.

He’s promoted violence and a coup. It’s not a far reach and in a swing state, no less.
    Last edited by Swykk; 07-13-2024 at 07:18 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    They had one fucking job.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I see a lot of comments on Instagram that this was staged, what do you guys think? Personally I don’t think it was staged.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Man, violence is abhorrent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    I see a lot of comments on Instagram that this was staged, what do you guys think? Personally I don’t think it was staged.
    If it was staged, Trump didn't seem aware of it. He looked genuinely shook.

How long before the rumors start about this being an "official act" by Biden?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    These news channels need to be held accountable. The shit both say about the other side is nothing but sheer hatred and division. It leads to stuff like this.

I could even see one of his idiot supporters doing this stunt as a way to make him seem like a martyr and victim if it wasn't a left leaning person.

Guaranteed the photo of him with fist in air and blood dripping will become a t-shirt within 24 hours.