Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Some interesting commentary out of Iowa though. For example, sure he got 50+% of the vote but it was also the lowest turnout ever. On top of that, how much control does he have over the party if almost half the people who voted did so against him? I think there's a lot of doom and gloom to be had, sure, but don't look for it and ignore the silver lining.

OTOH, I was nearly fired in 2016/17 for how depressed that win made me so if I tend to look for rosy cheeks right now that's why.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    NH is going to be more interesting.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    NH is going to be more interesting.
    If Trump wins, the Republican nomination is pretty much over.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    It'd take something pretty serious to stop him from being the republican nominee. Removal from the ballot in enough key states might do it. Prison probably won't.

I don't know if the Republican party has an identity beyond him anymore. Though to be fair, I'm not really sure the Democrats do either. Anything he's involved in, the debate is Trump VS Not-Trump.

Random Democrat VS Random Non-Trump Republican, would it really be making headlines the same way? He'll be the nominee.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's definitely worth mentioning that altogether "not trump" came pretty close. Trump wins by dividing and conquering, yet again. I don't see Haley or DeSantis dropping out any time soon, but if one of them does, they might have a shot. The real question is if the left can hold it together in November. I've seen a lot of division over Palestine, and I expect those feelings to come up a lot in the coming months.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Fair point, things could switch up if there were only two candidates in the field instead of three. If Haley continues to rank at the bottom but doesn't drop out, it would be helping Trump's campaign more than anything.

Looking very much like Trump but regardless of who the candidate ends up being I believe this is an extremely dangerous election for Biden and the Democrats and that as far as those things go we're in for what unfortunately seems to be a very scary year. We all might prefer Biden to Trump but no one really likes him in his own right and he continues to be an anemic president whose administration utterly fails to highlight any positive advancements they could claim and struggles to have the public associate the president with something besides "nothing." These things do not fill me with confidence come November.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    If Trump wins in NH, I don't see how either DeSantis or Haley continues. What's the point? I'm surprised DeSantis is still in the race, tbh. He didn't put any resources in NH, will place third, and then it's off to SC, which he will also lose. He's not going to be the nominee.

Haley is competitive in NH (could be an upset) and then it's off to SC. She lags behind Trump, but a NH win could change that. I can see her staying in the race for now.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    The Inside Story of How Ron DeSantis Got Crushed by Donald Trump

There’s dispute about whether Trump was ever beatable in a GOP primary. But there’s little disagreement among connected political pros about the multiple problems with the campaign of DeSantis, an aloof not-ready-for-primetime candidate who didn’t know what he didn’t know and was arrogant about it, according to more than a dozen insiders who shared their insight to The Messenger since March.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here’s why Trump is ahead in the New Hampshire polls

According to this article Haley is beating Trump by 10-20 points with independents, but Trump's maig lead with Republican voters is keeping him in the lead. A lot is riding on Tuesday.

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    god fucking damnit 2024

we really doing round two? ok.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Ron drops out, endorses Trump. No surprises there.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    Ron drops out, endorses Trump. No surprises there.
    What a worm.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Desantis is hoping to get picked for VP.

It would be a strong ticket. There's someone else that Trump could pick to be his running mate and it would probably spell certain victory. His name rhymes with 'fucker.'

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Huh, I wonder if Wiley's going to be removed from even more newspapers for this one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    BTW, when bragging about that basic cognitive test that he knocked out of the park, he says that he was asked to identify the shape of a whale. Apparently, according to people who administer this test, there's no whale. He either just can't stop making shit up all the time on impulse, or he's seeing whales where there are none.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    no surprise, Trump wins NH.
    brace yourselves.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I thought that there might be an upset in NH, like Clinton beating Obama in that state in 2008. The electorate was more favorable to Haley than in other states.

I'm listening to her now and she is vowing to go on, but I don't see how she wins the nomination.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump's NH victory speech.

I almost felt bad for Tim Scott.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    'Bright red warning signs are flashing for Trump' despite NH win: Politico

"The general election coalition Trump would have to build is deeply fractured over issues of his conduct," writes Politico. "Just look at Haley’s supporters, whose support he would need in November. In New Hampshire on Tuesday, roughly 9 in 10 Haley voters said they would not be happy with a third Trump nomination, according to exit polls, while 84 percent of her backers said Trump would be unfit for the presidency again if convicted of a crime."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Trump warns Haley donors will be ‘permanently barred from the MAGA camp’

“Anybody that makes a ‘Contribution’ to Birdbrain, from this moment forth, will be permanently barred from the MAGA camp. We don’t want them, and will not accept them, because we Put America First, and ALWAYS WILL!”

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Bloomberg poll: Biden losing ground to Trump on immigration

Asked how they would vote if the election were held today in a one-one-one matchup, Biden trails Trump by an average of 48%-42% across the seven states, which resembles other polls showing Biden lagging Trump in the key states.
    On the other hand:

Trump Risks Losing More Than Half of Swing-State Voters If Found Guilty

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I know we're the wrong people for these polls because we're more online than the average idiot, but literally headlines are Biden saying he'd close the border and Trump saying don't close the border. WTAF are these people reading?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Meta Oversight Board says manipulated video of Biden can stay on Facebook

A highly edited video of President Biden on Facebook will remain on the platform after an independent body that oversees Meta's content moderation determined that the post does not violate the company's policies, but the panel also criticized the company's manipulated media policy as "incoherent and confusing."
    oh well that's OK then. No problem.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Poll: 20-point deficit on handling economy highlights Biden’s struggles against Trump

Biden trails GOP presidential front-runner Donald Trump on major policy and personal comparisons, including by more than 20 points on which candidate would better handle the economy. And Biden’s deficit versus Trump on handling immigration and the border is greater than 30 points.

The poll also shows Trump holding a 16-point advantage over Biden on being competent and effective, a reversal from 2020, when Biden was ahead of Trump on this quality by 9 points before defeating him in that election.
    All together, these numbers explain why the poll shows Trump leading Biden by 5 points among registered voters in a hypothetical 2024 general-election matchup, 47% to 42%. While the result is within the poll’s margin of error, the last year of polling shows a clear shift.
    Americans are stupid.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    really fucking stupid, you mean.

I know polling is screwed six ways from Sunday but man. On one hand I'm glad they're like this - I don't want a complacent voting block like in 2016 - but on the other hand mental health can only take so much of this horse manure.

I just hope his heart can't take much more of the stress of all the cases plus getting hit by both of his opponents on how mentally deficient he is.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I just hope his heart can't take much more of the stress of all the cases plus getting hit by both of his opponents on how mentally deficient he is.
    I joke often with my friends about him getting fed up and going full scarface on a pile of Addy and just going out with a bang, throwing Big Macs at motherfuckers left and right until his heart explodes out of his ketchup soaked chest.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Appeals court denies Trump immunity in DC election case

Too right, get fucked you orange baboon.
    "But any executive immunity that may have protected him while he served as President no longer protects him against this prosecution."
    I would have rathered language like "should never protect him" but whatevs.
    Last edited by allegate; 02-06-2024 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I wonder if the Supreme Court will take the case?