Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Honestly, I know this sounds like I’m desperate for confirmation bias or something, but I’m becoming really dubious of the NYTimes. During the Trump presidency they obviously leaned left further than they generally used to, and they were all about pinning Trump for his insane bullshit…. But that was all salacious noise, and it generated clicks, and that’s what the papers want…

Now I think they want Trump back, for four more years of sensationalist insanity. The press makes money when there’s constant chaos… and now all NYT seems to be talking about is Biden’s age and how the polls are troubling… They even ran some weird headline that seemed to imply that it was a bad thing jobs were coming to America because it was killing job opportunities in an overseas market… and you’d think there’d be a caveat there but there wasn’t.

At least that’s what I’m hoping. I get that he’s invulnerable for some reason, but it can’t be that his legal woes and constant gaffes like mixing up Obama with Biden and then saying it’s some hilarious joke… there’s no way this can be helping him in the polls can it? He gets up in front of some Black Conservative group and basically says “hey black people! You like shoes don’t you? Black people love shoes, and they love me because they’re all accused of crimes. We have so much in common! My favorite color is black!”

How did that not hurt him? Not just with people of color, but everyone should have cringed so hard at that racist madness. Oh yeah, and he’s a fucking rapist. There’s that too… that little thing…

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    the press would LOVE a Trump dictatorship.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    heh, right up until they can't report from behind bars.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I wrote in Elizabeth Warren on out state primary ballot. I really don't care for Biden/Harris except as a lesser of 2 evils vs Trump. I would've wrote in Bernie Saunders but he's just too old now. Good man though.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I don’t give a single fuck about Super Tuesday or especially all the doom polling going on here.

We learned polls don’t matter in 2016 and 2020. They aren’t reliable.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I am very concerned about this upcoming election. This paints a very grim picture.

Biden and the Democrats are sleepwalking into a potential Trump win

Biden led strongly with women in 2020 and is now evidently tied with Trump among them; Biden won an estimated 72% of minorities without college degrees last time around and now leads by a mere six points, 47-41%. And while making broad demographic pronouncements on the basis of one poll is unwise, these results are roughly in keeping with some other data.
    The polls in 2016 showed a penetrable "blue wall," with Clinton's lead in the swing states pretty weak. The polls in 2020 were fairly accurate.

Biden could still win, but this is a coin toss at best.

Here is some good news from Allan Lichtman.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 03-06-2024 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    who's sleepwalking what now? I think what they mean is "uninformed voters" - whether they do it consciously or not - are the ones sleepwalking.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    who's sleepwalking what now? I think what they mean is "uninformed voters" - whether they do it consciously or not - are the ones sleepwalking.
    Those and people who just don't bother to vote or waste it on Nader, West, etc.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Biden vs. Trump 2: Electric Bugaloo

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Mitch McConnell endorses Donald Trump for president after years of frosty ties

And nearly four years ago he was saying:

There’s no question — none — that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it. The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president​.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Great SOTU speech.

Republican response? Wow.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Sen. Katie Britt targets Biden's 'rage' in follow-up to SOTU rebuttal: 'Unbecoming' for a president
    Britt told "Fox & Friends" that Biden's "rage was unbecoming" as critics accuse the president of delivering a highly partisan campaign speech on Capitol Hill.
    what tf do you call the four years (and counting) of Trump? I swear if it weren't for double standards they wouldn't have any.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    So according to republicans, Biden was either dottering and incoherent, or full of rage and slipping in veiled threats to the Supreme Court.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I feel better after Biden's terrific SOTU (and the terrible GOP response).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I love SNL during a presidential election year:

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Dude, I know you’re super worried about this and I am too, but once again—Polls do not matter and haven’t since 2016. Steve Kornacki has done decently with his predictions and even he’s swung and missed at times.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So Trump has purged the RNC of anyone who isn't "loyal," and has his daughter-in-law running things. And he's using donor money for his legal bills.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I read that even though they were purged they can reapply for the positions but have a loyalty pledge in place now. Going to be wild if the Republican party actually implodes this year.

OTOH I have a feeling the rich bastards will prop them up if need be.

edit: I've been thinking about the Kimmel bit, it made me think of McCarthy's downfall that was preceded by just a simple statement of weariness. In front of a very large audience, one that very likely has people who have no idea what's going on with Trump (I know, there are some real ostriches out there) to hear that and wonder, "Jail?" and do some searching.
    Last edited by allegate; 03-12-2024 at 10:19 AM.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    edit: I've been thinking about the Kimmel bit, it made me think of McCarthy's downfall that was preceded by just a simple statement of weariness. In front of a very large audience, one that very likely has people who have no idea what's going on with Trump (I know, there are some real ostriches out there) to hear that and wonder, "Jail?" and do some searching.
    When Trump was on SNL they did a skit joking about how childish and wearisome his tweeting was... I assume he didn't really get the joke. That was way back when we didn't think he had a chance at actually winning the election

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    OTOH I have a feeling the rich bastards will prop them up if need be.
    I'm trying to think about that critically, will the Koch brothers do that at this point? Chaos is bad for business, and that's what Trump is to businesses now.

The muskrat might try, but I'm not sure how successful he'd be. Much of his business earnings are heavily leveraged, and it'd be harder to convince a board of directors to fund a political party that it would be to "invest" in a business.

Though foreign money is likely. Trump has repeatedly demonstrated he doesn't care about laws, and by the time anyone who's responsible for overseeing the campaign finance rules would step in, it'd probably be too late. I'd have to imagine that starting from when his niece took over, the books have started to be cooked anyways, so finding an actual paper trail may prove difficult.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Thanks, Mike. Where was that attitude when he was in office?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It really is scary watching this guy.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Now Elon Musk is weighing in. He criticized NBC for reporting what Trump actually said, and then shortly afterwards a “fact check” appeared on Twitter, correcting people that “Trump was talking about the Auto Industry”

If you watch the full clip, in full context, the comments sound like a tangent to anything he’s going on about w/ regards to the automotive industry, and he clearly says “bloodbath in this country”
    It’s weird that Twitter (or X or whatever) would be jumping in to correct that as if it were a “fact”
    There’s no point in splitting hairs further really, but he said what he said, and it’s not the first time he’s said stuff like that, warning of doom and bedlam if he doesn’t win.