Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    100% delusional. It is not happening. I get that the media is getting a lot of clicks on this subject, but it's absurd. I'd bet my house on it. This is the "Bernie Sanders is going to turn the convention" of 2024. It's absolute nonsense.

It's also laughably dumb that it's all coming down after one debate. We are going to ignore Biden's policy success and his incumbent advantage, his appeal to the middle, and the the fact he is running against an equally old, convicted felon, who mishandled the entire pandemic. Biden a man who everyone knows simply has a stutter, performs poorly in *one* debate, and we are going to ignore every historical precedent and run a brand new candidate with 4 months to spare? What are you people smoking?
    I'm not saying it's actually going to happen, I'm just saying it should if the Democrats actually want to win. You're welcome to think I'm delusional or laughably dumb all you want, this was not performing poorly in one debate, it was a mask off moment for how nonfunctional Biden actually is. Doesn't matter that Trump is as old or a convicted felon or worse in just about every way, his following is large and dedicated and not going away and we need every vote we can get. Ignoring that Biden is clearly no longer fit for office in the eyes of the vast majority of the public will make us hemorrhage support in November. If you think that can be safely bypassed and that Biden will be carried back into office off the strength of his "policy success" and incumbent advantage and "appeal to the middle" at this point, good luck and godspeed. You can have some of what I've been smoking but I want some of yours, I think it's stronger!

Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I would also say it's counterproductive to our success to mire in this impossibility. We are chilling our own voters even further and many of the ideas are also, honestly, fundamentally anti democratic, the notion that we would simply appoint a candidate without a primary election is a really terrifying precedent to set.
    I feel that ignoring what nearly everyone felt about what they saw and just buckling down with what we have until November not only wouldn't be right - it would chill our voters even more. It would just be another way of announcing the Democratic party's contempt for the electorate, a testament to how completely their electoral strategy begins and ends with "you have to vote for us because we're your only option." And I completely understand your misgivings about an open convention appointing a candidate without a primary. It's not something I'd suggest or want them to consider except under circumstances as dire as this. But I truly, genuinely believe that if it's Biden in November, we lose and lose big and I cannot resign myself to that possibility when it's not technically locked in yet.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I think t would be a huge risk to run another candidate
    I think because of all the election lies people tend to forget: Biden won by a fairly large margin, and Hilary losing certain states like Michigan was something of a blip. I'm in as much a doom spiral as any one else and I'm not in love with Biden or anything but I think he is more broadly popular and Trump is more unpopular than people realize. Trump supporters are so loud, and certainly they're great at controlling the narrative and leading the conversation through sheer stubbornness, and so I think we sometimes lose track of the reality of quiet support.