Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    that is not going into my algorithm, nope.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    One thing that's weird - everyone is bringing up this bizarre rant about the choice between being electrocuted or be eaten by a shark during his rally, and nobody is mentioning that this is THE SECOND time he's done it. I thought I was watching an old news clip at first.

This is the second time Trump has gone off the rails and rambled about how he'd rather be electrocuted than eaten by a fucking shark.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    One thing that's weird - everyone is bringing up this bizarre rant about the choice between being electrocuted or be eaten by a shark during his rally, and nobody is mentioning that this is THE SECOND time he's done it. I thought I was watching an old news clip at first.

This is the second time Trump has gone off the rails and rambled about how he'd rather be electrocuted than eaten by a fucking shark.
    This post made me laugh. Amazing to think he could be POTUS in nine months.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    This post made me laugh. Amazing to think he could be POTUS in nine months.
    I just read an article talking about how Trump’s weird shark rant should be much more seriously discussed, since it’s alarmingly incoherent and strange as hell… but hey it’s just Trump being Trump right?

The article makes a good point… if a close family member, at the dinner table, suddenly started rambling about how they’d rather be eaten by a shark than electrocuted, and just a second prior you were asking them to pass the cranberry sauce or whatever, everyone would be alarmed.

But here it’s just more quaint, endearing weirdness from the guy who is about to become president, again, after completely screwing it up before. That’s what blows my mind; all these people saying things like “but we had no wars while Trump was president,” as if that was Trump’s doing (completely ignoring all of his saber rattling and that whole incident with Iran)… but we lucked out by not having some international crisis land in Trump’s lap. It was a miracle.

Now his idiot followers want to hand him Russia/Ukraine and Gaza? Please don’t let this happen…

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Ok, so I'm not crazy. I was thinking the EXACT same thing. It's like every summer when Shark Week rolls around, you can guarantee Trump's about to cut a WWE promo on the sharks.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    After everything that’s been said about Boebert, she manages to win?! Wtaf.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nate Silver’s 2024 Election Model Wildly Diverges From His Former Site FiveThirtyEight

Silver gives Trump a 66% chance of winning, while 538 gives it a toss-up.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Nate Silver’s 2024 Election Model Wildly Diverges From His Former Site FiveThirtyEight

Silver gives Trump a 66% chance of winning, while 538 gives it a toss-up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Biden calling Trump a loser and sucker was weirdly brilliant. Trump took the bait and is just unhinged.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I can't watch this. Biden looks and sounds awful, and is having trouble putting his thoughts together. Trump is a lying sack of shit, but he looks better.

This was a bad idea. I can't believe that friggin' guy has the presidency within his grasp, again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Biden has a speech impediment and suddenly that means he's not equipped to be president. Like, they're both too old but only one of them terrifies me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's like watching two clowns continuously pie one another in the face. I've never felt more embarrassed to be an American.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    This debate is a disaster. Fuck me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This debate is a disaster. Fuck me
    The idea that I thought it would be ok...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    CNN fucking suck at running this debate.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    All Trump had to do was filibuster the hard questions, lie and let Biden talk. That’s what he did. Fuckin a man

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Time to call Newsom?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Did Biden really challenge Trump to a golf-off? I thought he was trying to kick the impression that he was too old… that’s got to be the most geriatric thing I can think of

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    It's like watching two clowns continuously pie one another in the face. I've never felt more embarrassed to be an American.
    I was watching the stream and that’s exactly what it looked like, lol.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Did Biden really challenge Trump to a golf-off? I thought he was trying to kick the impression that he was too old… that’s got to be the most geriatric thing I can think of
    At least it wasn’t lawn bowls.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    We are so cooked man

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I didn’t watch it. Didn’t want to.

The recaps are somehow worse than I imagined they would be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    To the DNC, with regard to the presumptive Democratic nominee:

Drop it like it's hot
    Drop it like it's hot
    Drop it like it's hot

Step aside Joey.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post

I've never seen Biden look that bad in my life. My confidence in november that the good guys were gonna win went from 90% to about 2% after that. No way someone on the fence would see that performance and vote blue.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post

I've never seen Biden look that bad in my life. My confidence in november that the good guys were gonna win went from 90% to about 2% after that. No way someone on the fence would see that performance and vote blue.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Someone shared this in a friend's Discord:

From Heather Cox Richardson's nightly newsletter:

"This was not a debate
    . It was Trump using a technique that actually has a formal name, the Gish gallop, although I suspect he comes by it naturally. It’s a rhetorical technique in which someone throws out a fast string of lies, non-sequiturs, and specious arguments, so many that it is impossible to fact-check or rebut them in the amount of time it took to say them. Trying to figure out how to respond makes the opponent look confused, because they don’t know where to start grappling with the flood that has just hit them. It is a form of gaslighting, and it is especially effective on someone with a stutter, as Biden has. It is similar to what Trump did to Biden during a debate in 2020. In that case, though, the lack of muting on the mics left Biden simply saying: “Will you shut up, man?” a comment that resonated with the audience. Giving Biden the enforced space to answer by killing the mic of the person not speaking tonight actually made the technique more effective. There are ways to combat the Gish gallop—by calling it out for what it is, among other ways—but Biden retreated to trying to give the three pieces of evidence that established his own credentials on the point at hand. His command of those points was notable, but the difference between how he sounded at the debate and how he sounded on stage at a rally in Raleigh, North Carolina, just an hour afterward suggested that the technique worked on him."

https://open.substack.com/pub/heathercoxrichardson/p/june-27-2024

They should have never agreed to the debate and the lack of fact checking condition could have been an easy out. But alas...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I didn't bother with the debates. I don't see them as anything more than meme-generators (e.g., the fly on the former VPs head). In the end, both sides are dug in and what either candidate says in a debate really isn't going to convince one side or the other. Particularly in this point in time, are there really any undecided voters who will be convinced to vote for one candidate or the other, based on a debate?

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Biden was always a poor and terrible candidate, he was in 2020 and he is now. The fact people act like last night was a epiphany to that is hilarious to me as it has been a constant his entire tenure as President. I'd argue he's actually worse than Hillary as a candidate in this 2024 campaign than she was in 2016. He has put in no work whatsoever for votes. Trump was a mess in 2016 and boorish but you had the unknown wonder of "will he be good or not?" while now in 2024 we know he is not good and won't be good. He's had charges, convictions and scandals yet he still performs better and has more favor in the populace than Joe Biden...that's a fucking alarm bell. That speaks to me more of Joe Biden than Donald Trump. DNC has to be in on the grift to purposely put such a weak, flimsy candidate for their presidential candidate.

As for the other end of the "debate" that occurred, Trump was Trump. Rambling anecdotes, "nuh uhs" and never actually answering a question when presented to him. Pivots to what about-ism and making up nonsense talking points that are irrelevant like golfing with mental clarity discussions. He sucks and is a horrid candidate for America but he is lively/energetic and that seems to be enough for people who aren't in the cult of personality who hang on his every word.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I didn't bother with the debates. I don't see them as anything more than meme-generators (e.g., the fly on the former VPs head). In the end, both sides are dug in and what either candidate says in a debate really isn't going to convince one side or the other. Particularly in this point in time, are there really any undecided voters who will be convinced to vote for one candidate or the other, based on a debate?
    It was pointless. Everyone knew in 2021 that it would be Biden/Trump again in 2024 and this debate didn't sway anyone's opinions that hypothetically would be on the fence because we're only 5 months removed from Election Day and most people already had their vote cast in their mind.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It was pointless. Everyone knew in 2021 that it would be Biden/Trump again in 2024 and this debate didn't sway anyone's opinions that hypothetically would be on the fence because we're only 5 months removed from Election Day and most people already had their vote cast in their mind.
    I wish that was true. I’m still voting for Biden, but this is ME we’re talking about here. They could Weekend At Bernie’s him up and I’d still vote for Biden. And even then, when I go into that voting booth, I’m going to be thinking about that fucking debate and I’m going to feel like an idiot when I check the box next to “Biden.”

That was bad. That was worse than I possibly could have imagined it would be. Biden could have walked out on stage and had a seizure right at the start, and that would have been better. Before that debate, I would have said it was a 50/50 coin flip, but now Biden has no chance.

They need to replace him with another candidate, just as they would if something tragic had happened. If Biden refuses to step down immediately, I dunno, invoke the 25th amendment or something.

If Biden is the candidate in November, Trump is going to win.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    There needs to be a serious conversation that takes place this weekend with the Biden campaign, with the party leaders, elected officials and fundraisers around if they feel that the best chance at winning the Presidential election and as many down-ballot races as possible is feasible with Biden still at the top of the ticket.

I am 100% voting for Biden if he's on the ticket in November, but I also believe that conversation must take place this weekend because last night's performance should act as a wake up call. Trump was a lying jackass who declined in quality after 20 minutes or so, but Joe couldn't even nail the smile at the camera or get his volume up. It was really bad.