Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The 2024 Election Thread - The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime... Again

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Biden looked/sounded great today. Why couldn't that Biden have showed up last night?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I switched over to CNN for like 3 seconds and saw what appeared to be some sort of Red Carpet while all the anchors acted like the Oscars were getting ready to start or some shit. I literally said "man fuck this shit" out loud and then rented the new Mad Max movie instead.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I watched two minutes to try and distract me of the horrible day I've had and it only made it worse.

Today, I remembered this:

Yeah.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I miss Bernie

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    Did Biden really challenge Trump to a golf-off? I thought he was trying to kick the impression that he was too old… that’s got to be the most geriatric thing I can think of
    That was one of the stupidest parts of the debate. I couldn't believe Biden took it on. Like, it would have been so easy to just say, "Look, my opponent over here is so concerned about his golf game. Remember, he spent more days golfing in his first term than any other president. I'm focused on working hard for the American people. Donald, if you want to drop out of the race so you can work on your golf game seven days a week to be a better golfer than me, please have at it."

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    2028: No Old, Senile White Guys Please

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Time to call Newsom?
    Honest question. Why is everyone so gung ho on Newsome? California has a rampant homeless problem, not mention DAs that don't prosecute any serious crimes other than murder, which that is even a stretch.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Huffington Post having a full blown headline: "Supreme Court Gives Joe Biden The Legal OK To Assassinate Donald Trump" this morning is a full on fucking FLEX. God I wish the fucking Dems had the guts to take this opportunity to really fuck shit up for the GOP. ~But wHeN tHeY gO lOw We Go HiGh~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    How does Madam VP Harris fit in to all of this DEFCON 1 stuff?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Honest question. Why is everyone so gung ho on Newsome? California has a rampant homeless problem, not mention DAs that don't prosecute any serious crimes other than murder, which that is even a stretch.
    The state of California doesn't have a "rampant homeless problem." The country has failed to fund a series of safety nets and welfare programs that would protect people from homeless and has instead engaged in the repeatedly failed practice of criminalization. California has the largest population of any state and the nicest weather, so homeless often come here from other states out of a need for survival. Per capital, we are not on the top of the list for homeless population. They are not the problem. They are in need of protection

Your second of two Fox News talking points is also bullshit. California eliminated a three strikes law. That's it. The three strikes law over crowded prisons, saw people imprisoned for life over incredibly minor crimes, permanently breaking apart families and ruining lives. Nothing about this policy *reduced* crime. You don't fight crime through police and imprisonment. That's not how that works.

Newsom is a proactive and outspoken governor who is very articulate and has a lot socially forward and progressive policies he immediately lead us to a fairly large surplus and then used that surplus to create housing for the homeless and start manufacturing our own insulin so we could get better prices. That's just a few examples. If Biden isn't up to the political moment, which he isn't, Newsom certainly is. Newsom is also the sort of milk toast centrist that the establishment might not push off the ballot. I also like Ro Kanna

That said, all this "replace Biden on the ballot" stuff is sheer, baffling idiocy. We have 4 months until the election, we do not have the electoral infrastructure to run *another* primary just because the guy performed poorly in one debate against a convicted felon. He's not my favorite choice but he is the only choice. We don't live in this fantasy land where these other people have a chance.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookster426 View Post
    Honest question. Why is everyone so gung ho on Newsome?
    Who else for plan B?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Y'all I don't know what other states' are like, but the fucking Campaign Commercials being run here in Missouri for the Governor's Race are fucking I N S A N E. One talks about how if he is elected governor of MISSOURI he'll stop "illegal Chinese" from crossing the Mexican border in TEXAS, because China apparently is in South America, and being governor of Missouri will somehow give him jurisdiction over a whole other ass state. Another one has this asshole saying "In Missouri, we believe in Boys and Girls not It's Theys and Thems. We believe in duty to God and Guns. Not duty to Government. And where do the illegals belong? THE HELL OUTTA MISSOURA"

Parsons is a big ol flaming pile of pure liquid dog shit, but Jesus fucking christ.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Kamala is next in line to the presidency, I say run her as the candidate.

Then again, nobody cares what I say, so…

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    How I wish Clinton had won in '16.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Kamala is next in line to the presidency, I say run her as the candidate.

Then again, nobody cares what I say, so…
    I care. I say go with her too. But I'm Canadian so my opinion is moot.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.

Biden may not have wanted the ring of power to come to him, but if he doesn't cast it into the fires of mt doom, then we're all going to be destroyed.
    Last edited by M1ke; 07-03-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The Biden Campaign has pretty much lost control of the narrative here to the press and a lot of it has to do with how they're NOT putting the President out there for interviews, appearances and events. They need to have him out way more than he has been and that's causing a lot of this concern.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    The Heritage Foundation president is out there saying even more deranged bullshit than usual today, which is shocking.

But the fact that he's doing it to distract from the explicit details of what Trump did to some of Epstein's victims (which were released in court documents recently) is even more disturbing.

Like, we're not wrong to talk about the threat to democracy, but we should also be talking about Trumps paedophilia. It's such an overwhelming amount of horrific activity that I don't even know which one to focus on.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Biden could resign.

If Biden decides to exit the race, he might as well resign now. A sitting President Harris would be a stronger candidate than she would if she were running as Biden's VP. Whatever happens, Biden would exit his presidency on a positive note. Also, if Harris wins, 1/20 might come easier.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    100% delusional.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    hmm..can Biden, as president, now with this new immunity BS, declare, as an "official action" that to win an election, you must win the popular vote now and not the electoral vote?
    probably not, but that's one way to do things.

maybe he can at an extremely accelerated rate pack the Supreme Court and then overturn this immunity thing.
    probably not.

it's sad I am thinking about things like this, because I lack the confidence that he will win in November.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    From the official site of Project 25. It's their manifesto.

Year Zero was supposed to take place in 2022, so Trent was only off by three years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    hmm..can Biden, as president, now with this new immunity BS, declare, as an "official action" that to win an election, you must win the popular vote now and not the electoral vote?
    probably not, but that's one way to do things.

maybe he can at an extremely accelerated rate pack the Supreme Court and then overturn this immunity thing.
    probably not.

it's sad I am thinking about things like this, because I lack the confidence that he will win in November.
    Couldn't he just have secret service send Trump to the colloquial farm as an official action?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    From the official site of Project 25. It's their manifesto.

Year Zero was supposed to take place in 2022, so Trent was only off by three years.
    he was on point; covid just pushed it back a bit.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    The Biden Campaign has pretty much lost control of the narrative here to the press and a lot of it has to do with how they're NOT putting the President out there for interviews, appearances and events. They need to have him out way more than he has been and that's causing a lot of this concern.
    I hate to say it, but i think there’s an obvious reason why they’re not putting Biden out there more right now, everywhere. He’s not performing well. That rally after the debate showed that he can still pull it off with a teleprompter, or maybe this is a sporadic thing that crops up but… I think his campaign knows they can’t rely on him to keep it together at this juncture, especially after that debate.

This goes back a little further of course. It’s not like people just suddenly started talking about Biden’s decline; it was the fear we all had, that he would freeze up during the debate. And he didn’t just do it once.

For me, this even goes to the State of the Union speech, which everyone seemed to think was great. I thought it was fine. He still meandered, looked old and frail, and did a piss poor job of shutting Marjorie fucking Greene down when she opened her stupid mouth. That was a huge opportunity, they obviously prepared for it, and it should have been a home run smackdown… and it wasn’t. It was pitiful.

We’re not just talking about him being passable here. He should be kicking the shit out of these fringe nutjob idiots. And then that “I shall out-golf you!” horseshit during the debate? We’ve already talked about what a missed opportunity that moment was to control the narrative, and he…

We don’t just need a candidate who can make his way through public appearances without utterly eating shit. That’s not good enough. We need someone to completely destroy these motherfuckers. When Marjorie Taylor Greene jumps up and makes a fool of herself, humiliate the living shit out of her, and then tell her to shut her mouth and take a seat. As has been said here, when Trump bashes your fucking golf game, turn around and say you have better shit to do than golf, but hey Donald, you look like you could use the exercise so go nuts.

We need somebody who is quick-witted and savage, and while we’re at it, has good policies and is amazing at articulating them in language that makes sense to the voting public and gets them energized behind those ideas. But really, on the optics front, there’s already a crew of comedians, thinkers, strategists they could assemble… come on, the next time Marjorie Taylor Greene interrupts you during a prepared speech to the American people, shut that shit down, and if you can’t think fast enough on your feet, you need, I dunno, Seth Meyers and David Cross to feed you lines to get this done.

Or we could just go with someone who can do it on their own
    Last edited by Jinsai; Yesterday at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    100% delusional.
    Delusional to think Biden would willingly step aside? Perhaps - he, his family, and his inner circle have indicated they are chiefly interested in themselves and not the stakes of this election in this past week. But delusional to think another option has a chance? As opposed to the Joe Biden we currently have on hand?

For a while now I have had zero faith in Biden managing a reelection and I know people like GulDukat here have been sounding the alarm on this coming election for a while now. But I merely thought he was going to lose. After the debate, I genuinely feel like I know he's going to lose. There is an inexorable weight to it and the gravity of what exactly happened last week, like a lump in my throat.

What we saw last Thursday was not just a bad debate. Bad debates can happen to good candidates. Obama fumbled one against Romney and he rebounded fine because it was a one-off. Biden's debate against Trump last week was so far beyond that. People have had concerns about exactly how well Biden is faring in his age since his campaign for the nomination began in 2019 and have dogged him throughout his presidential term. When he would appear weak and confused in public the Democratic defense apparatus would accuse it of being a cherry-picked right wing smear, of being ableist because of his stutter, ageist, etc. Well last Thursday everyone who did themselves the disservice of watching that trainwreck of a debate saw in excruciating real time that even for a few hours, in a specific time and place that he and his team knew to prepare extensively for, the president of the United States was completely and utterly lost and confused. Biden was not simply inarticulate - he was incoherent. He was not simply "low energy" - he appeared so frail and out of his depth that it felt cruel and absurd even having him be in that position. Age is one thing, basic functionality is another - people the same age as Biden in nursing homes thought it was as grim as anyone else. What we saw was the death of his candidacy whether anyone wants to admit it or not. The only way they could rebound from this is if they could make the entire world unsee what it saw.

And the manner in which the president, his family, and his team have handled this crisis has exacerbated the really ugly and lingering questions raised by this showing to an extent that cannot be overstated. If Biden is this incapable and nonfunctional when he and his team know he needs to be on camera, what is he like when they aren't letting us see him? If he's this limp and pliable than who is really steering the executive branch? How long has Biden's inner circle prioritized hiding his condition over things as important as the stakes of this election (reporting suggests Biden's closest aides took steps early in his term to keep him sequestered away from even residence staff - there were people in the White House who were just as shocked at his condition as we were)? A team passing capable would respond to this kind of disaster by having the candidate be everywhere, facing the public, wasting no time at all to show that yes, that was a one-off, yes, they have the ability to do the job and all it requires, yes, the candidate does not always seem on the verge of death. Instead he has spent most of the time since out-of-sight and leaving even top Dems like Schumer and Jeffries waiting for days for any word while pow-wowing with his goddamn family (including Hunter fucking Biden, who has become one of the strongest voices calling for the president to stay in and is now quite literally sitting in on meetings - a great look, especially now!) amidst thin excuses for the unbelievable nosedive. Biden aides told Axios not to worry, he's dependably engaged from 10am to 4pm but "outside of that time range or while traveling abroad, Biden is more likely to have verbal miscues and become fatigued." I don't know if that was supposed to reassure us but it doesn't reassure me.

Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    There are two possible conclusions we can draw from this. One is that the president and his team are inexcusably, irresponsibly stupid. The other is that they know putting the president out there is going to do more harm than good. I know which one I feel to be more likely with what we've seen.

Behind closed doors there is panic and frankly there should be. The attempts by Team Biden to mitigate the hysteria are doing the exact opposite - Dem lawmakers literally feel gaslit by the extent to which Biden's team is downplaying the travesty (mocking the concerned voices as the 'bedwetting brigade'). Reports suggest that House Democrats are organizing and readying to sign a letter calling for Biden to step down and frankly that is the only rational, responsible course of action at this point. Nothing awaits Biden's reelection bid but defeat and the domino effect would even have a disastrous effect on the downballot races.

There are still paths to a different candidate. Whether it's Biden resigning and letting Harris step up or relinquishing the delegates and having an open convention, I don't know. And I don't know if this hypothetical not-Biden would win. The fact the Biden White House has spent so much time propping up someone so clearly not up to the task has done a lot of damage. But I know that the worst and most destructive option is to pretend none of this matters and go full steam ahead on Biden. I don't know if an alternative to Biden would win against Trump, but I know there would be at least a chance - some chance, ANY chance. If we resign ourselves to Biden we resign ourselves to a second Trump term at the White House. There is simply no way he wins, no matter how many of us just ignore how pitiful the candidacy is and just vote for him out of fear. Internal polling is so bleak it shows fucking Colorado as a toss-up.

As one of the only people I still have a Twitter account for put it, "Voters think Biden is too old. Journalists think Biden is too old. Behind the scenes, Democratic officials think Biden is too old. Beyond risking a loss, Biden is contributing to the feeling nothing matters. He is corroding the faith in politics he promised to restore. Even if a replacement candidate went on to lose to Trump, that loss would be better than a Biden one. If Biden stays on, the Democratic Party will spend the next several months lying to itself and the American people in a way that will damage its standing in the long run." Reality, the world we live in, the facts, they have to matter or it really is just another version of the Republican party.

No matter what happens, if Biden steps down in any fashion, he and his family can salvage some small measure of dignity from this moment and at least show, in some literal fashion, that he put the country before himself in a way that Trump and the Republicans never would. Or at the request of his family, he can remain in a race he is at this point guaranteed to lose and serve the country back to Trump on a silver platter because the Bidens put protecting themselves before protecting the country. Up to them!
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; Yesterday at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    100% delusional. It is not happening. I get that the media is getting a lot of clicks on this subject, but it's absurd. I'd bet my house on it. This is the "Bernie Sanders is going to turn the convention" of 2024. It's absolute nonsense.

It's also laughably dumb that it's all coming down after one debate. We are going to ignore Biden's policy success and his incumbent advantage, his appeal to the middle, and the the fact he is running against an equally old, convicted felon, who mishandled the entire pandemic. Biden a man who everyone knows simply has a stutter, performs poorly in *one* debate, and we are going to ignore every historical precedent and run a brand new candidate with 4 months to spare? What are you people smoking?

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    It’s not just one debate though, let’s be real here. That debate was a real final chance to turn things around. Biden was already flagging behind Trump. It was way closer than it should have been, and now it’s just worse, because Biden needed to win that debate. At the very least, he needed to appear coherent. Instead, we had the exploding-head scene from Scanners live on TV, as far as the Biden re-election campaign goes.

This can’t be turned around. Biden will lose to Trump. I don’t have a house to bet, but…

The only candidate, like it or not, that has any chance of replacing Biden on the ticket, is Kamala Harris. I don’t think she’s the greatest, but she’s at least smart and quick. She did as good a job as possible playing defense for Biden after that debate disaster. And if the dems try to nominate anyone else, especially another straight white guy instead, it will divide the party and they’ll lose.

Kamala Harris is, at this point, the best chance the democrats have of defeating Trump, and they have to do it very soon. Otherwise, I don’t know what the Biden campaign can do to fix this in time for November.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It’s not just one debate though, let’s be real here. That debate was a real final chance to turn things around. Biden was already flagging behind Trump. It was way closer than it should have been, and now it’s just worse, because Biden needed to win that debate. At the very least, he needed to appear coherent. Instead, we had the exploding-head scene from Scanners live on TV, as far as the Biden re-election campaign goes.

This can’t be turned around. Biden will lose to Trump. I don’t have a house to bet, but…

The only candidate, like it or not, that has any chance of replacing Biden on the ticket, is Kamala Harris. I don’t think she’s the greatest, but she’s at least smart and quick. She did as good a job as possible playing defense for Biden after that debate disaster. And if the dems try to nominate anyone else, especially another straight white guy instead, it will divide the party and they’ll lose.

Kamala Harris is, at this point, the best chance the democrats have of defeating Trump, and they have to do it very soon. Otherwise, I don’t know what the Biden campaign can do to fix this in time for November.
    Look, I totally, wholly understand the reasons people want this to happen. I understand Joe Biden presents and performs poorly. I'm not disagreeing with the bulk of the reasoning, other than the sheer logistics of it. I'm only saying that it is just not going to happen and we are going to have to work with what we have. I would also say it's counterproductive to our success to mire in this impossibility. We are chilling our own voters even further and many of the ideas are also, honestly, fundamentally anti democratic, the notion that we would simply appoint a candidate without a primary election is a really terrifying precedent to set.