Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    "Sunny Side Up" and "From The Dead" are the only songs I don't care for. "Separation Anxiety" and "Black Friday" are the top of the class for me. So far, I'd the albums:

Angel Dust
    The Real Thing
    Sol Invictus
    Album Of The Year
    King For A Day
    Introduce Yourself

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Does anyone else here notices the fact that both FNM and NIN are, maybe, the two most unpredictable acts in music today?

Although their music is very unique and they have lots of copycats, you can never tell how their next album may sound like or what path they're gonna follow ( and pave ).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Wow i just heard it and it blew me away. Really really good. Standouts are 'sol invictus', 'sunnyside up', 'seperation anxiety' and 'cone of shame'. 'Motherfucker' is oustanding as well. I def like the first half a little better but i love the direction they took it. My new list:

Angel Dust
    Album of the year
    Sol Invictus
    The real thing
    King for a day
    Introduce yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know if the deluxe editions being released in a few weeks are remastered?

edit: WTF? I followed a link from the band list for Faith No More and ended up in a Mike Patton thread?
    Last edited by dionysus74; 05-25-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Anyone know if the deluxe editions being released in a few weeks are remastered?

edit: WTF? I followed a link from the band list for Faith No More and ended up in a Mike Patton thread?
    This thread is all encompassing for all of Patton's bands and projects.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dionysus74 View Post
    Ambiguous wording is ambiguous. I would guess it's a pretty safe bet though with all the sources for the second discs.

Fingers crossed that they do this for Mr. Bungle somewhere down the road...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The band have stated that they have nothing to do with these rereleases, so it's not very likely that they're any different than what's out already.

As far as Bungle goes, there's not much to do. Disco Volante's mastering is all over the place, but the other 2 albums are fine. And there's not much unreleased material.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    This is a very interesting read about Roddy.
    http://www.buttmagazine.com/magazine.../roddy-bottum/

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    "It sounds like Faith No More so it's not as good as if it sounded different."--Pitchfork, a hipster hot bed and a joke to everyone else.
    Hmm, kind of an awkward sentence. You'd think that Pitchfork would have better writers or at least a decent editor.

Pitchfork is usually pretty harsh on bands that are well-known, except for a select few. But yeah, it kind of sucks, although I guess its good for exposing more obscure bands.

Going to the Boston show.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always loved FNM but was too young to make it to their shows when they were last active. How are they live? I might be able to make it to the Raleigh, NC show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is anyone going to buy the deluxe reissues? I certainly am, I also read that they were actually remastered too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripe(withdecay) View Post
    Is anyone going to buy the deluxe reissues? I certainly am, I also read that they were actually remastered too.
    Do you remember where you read that? I couldnt find anything that said they were remastered. I ordered the angel dust one just for the bonus disc, but will definitely pick up the real thing also if theyve both been remastered. I think that greatest hits set rhino put out a few years ago was remastered tracks, and if thats the case it would make sense that the albums would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by perceptionnexus View Post
    Do you remember where you read that? I couldnt find anything that said they were remastered. I ordered the angel dust one just for the bonus disc, but will definitely pick up the real thing also if theyve both been remastered. I think that greatest hits set rhino put out a few years ago was remastered tracks, and if thats the case it would make sense that the albums would be.
    http://www.rhino.com/article/happy-b...e-new-releases

They are being put out by Rhino, but no mention of remastering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.faithnomorefollowers.com/...test-news.html

At the very end of this post, a fan emailed Rhino Records and asked if they were remastered in anyway. Rhino responded by saying they were remastered at "Abbey Road studios in the UK".

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripe(withdecay) View Post
    I don't care for the remasters, i think the albums sound good and i don't want a new addition to the "loudness wars", yet i'm buying for the "B-sides" bonus disc.

The "Angel Dust" one looks specially good, i was kind of disappointed on the content for "The Real Thing", but i'll be picking it too...

http://www.kerrang.com/30767/faith-n...lassic-albums/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i'm really confused about where to actually find these new versions on vinyl.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Love the new album. The AMG gave it 4/5 stars:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/sol-invictus-mw0002831571

AllMusic Review by Mark Deming [-]

In the years before Nirvana rewrote the book on the commercial possibilities of alternative rock, Faith No More were one of the rare alt-rock acts that managed to have a major commercial success on their own terms with the catchy but uncompromised funk-metal monster "Epic," from 1989's The Real Thing. But it quickly became clear that wild card vocalist Mike Patton, who joined during the sessions for The Real Thing, had greater stylistic ambitions for Faith No More than he was able to cram into that album's framework, and the group's follow-up, 1992's Angel Dust, was a strange, fascinating, and wildly diverse album that blew open the group's creative palette without much concern for their new audience, and in the grand tradition of the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, it was at once a creative touchstone and a commercial disappointment. While Faith No More soldiered on to make two more fine albums before calling it quits in 1998, the band's furious eclecticism seemed to reach a wider audience after they broke up, thanks to the cult following that embraced Patton's later projects such as Tomahawk,Fantomas, and Peeping Tom, and looked back to Faith No More with open ears. While it's more unified and less aggressively eccentric than Angel Dust, 2015's Sol Invictus -- Faith No More's first album since regrouping for live work in 2011 -- certainly captures the same "anything goes" spirit of their best album, and the results capture the feel of their finest work. The band's willfully bent take on hard rock is a bit softened here, thanks to the continuing absence of original guitarist Jim Martin, butJon Hudson's six-string work is more than up to the shape-shifting attack of this album, and keyboardistRoddy Bottum shines here as the songs swing between the arty and the claustrophobically intense, ambitious in their melodic structures but unafraid to hit hard (and bassist Bill Gould and drummer Mike Bordin bring both the precision and the muscle this music demands). And if you want to argue thatMike Patton took control of the group once "Epic" hit (and you'd probably be right), there's no question that he did some impressive work with the materials at his disposal, and even as Sol Invictus sounds more collaborative than Angel Dust, it shows he had the chops and the crackpot vision to lead this band into strange but remarkable places. From the churning paranoia of "Separation Anxiety" and the distressed funk of "Sunny Side Up" to the blasting impact of "Cone of Shame" and the broadly theatrical closing number "From the Dead," Patton's range is every bit as broad as the band's, and if he hasn't guided Faith No More to a second masterpiece, Sol Invictus is their best and most compelling work since Angel Dust, and the rare reunion album that truly adds to the strength of the group's legacy rather than diluting it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i'm really confused about where to actually find these new versions on vinyl.
    Not sure if they are releasing them, "Music on vinyl" reissued them a couple of years ago but i'm not sure if they'll do the remasters too, it's gotta be 4LPS worth of material so i guess they'll wait to see if they sell on CD...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    So the new albums got me on a big FNM/Patton kick. Some thoughts...
    -New album is great, best tracks being Sol Invictus (wish it wasnt so short) and Cone of Shame
    -Album of the year is WAY better than i remember it, and i liked it alot back then. The awesome music video for Stripsearch matches song perfectly to me. Paths of Glory should be played live way more, its in my top 5 FNM songs. Kind of dirgy so i can see why they dont play it.
    -King for a Day hasnt aged well for me. I dont get into most of it, but the good songs are REALLY good (ricochet, the last to know, just a man)
    -Angel Dust still rules and was way ahead of its time, my CD (i know im old) clicks during Smaller and Smaller after the breakdown and it kills me. And i love Malpractice. That was the B-side to the cassette single of Midlife Crisis i had and holy shit that song still sounds powerful. Pattons vocal delivery on Angel Dust is my fav. Lyrics are great too.
    -The song Sweet Charity by Mr Bungle is one of the best things Pattons ever worked on. Didnt like it then but now its been on a loop in my head for a week. So good.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Pink Cigarette is where it's at.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    So the new albums got me on a big FNM/Patton kick. Some thoughts...
    -New album is great, best tracks being Sol Invictus (wish it wasnt so short) and Cone of Shame
    -Album of the year is WAY better than i remember it, and i liked it alot back then. The awesome music video for Stripsearch matches song perfectly to me. Paths of Glory should be played live way more, its in my top 5 FNM songs. Kind of dirgy so i can see why they dont play it.
    -King for a Day hasnt aged well for me. I dont get into most of it, but the good songs are REALLY good (ricochet, the last to know, just a man)
    -Angel Dust still rules and was way ahead of its time, my CD (i know im old) clicks during Smaller and Smaller after the breakdown and it kills me. And i love Malpractice. That was the B-side to the cassette single of Midlife Crisis i had and holy shit that song still sounds powerful. Pattons vocal delivery on Angel Dust is my fav. Lyrics are great too.
    -The song Sweet Charity by Mr Bungle is one of the best things Pattons ever worked on. Didnt like it then but now its been on a loop in my head for a week. So good.
    Agree with most of what you said except on "King for a day...", to me that's the greatest FNM album and every song in there is a masterpiece.
    Also my favorites from "Sol Invictus" are "Matador" and "Sunny side up", but the album has no waste (well, maybe just "Rise of the fall" and even that one is interesting...)
    "California" by Mr Bungle is an awesome: "Sweet charity", "Pink Cigarette", "Vanity Fair", gosh i gotta listen to this one today...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    Agree with most of what you said except on "King for a day...", to me that's the greatest FNM album and every song in there is a masterpiece.
    Also my favorites from "Sol Invictus" are "Matador" and "Sunny side up", but the album has no waste (well, maybe just "Rise of the fall" and even that one is interesting...)
    "California" by Mr Bungle is an awesome: "Sweet charity", "Pink Cigarette", "Vanity Fair", gosh i gotta listen to this one today...
    With king for a day, i think its the lack of Roddy/keyboards. I mean they are there but no where near as much as im used to with my FNM. They say they wanted that album to be like and explosion of power because angel dust didnt scratch that itch for them. I think Malpractice is just that though. Also, IMO, that album had more to do with cultivating "nu-metal" than angel dust.

I still remember my mom wouldnt let me get angel dust because of the album title and the cow meat on the back. So i settled for the Midlife crisis single at the time. I was like 11. Something about that album cover really pulled me in though.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^It's true tha "KFAD" is heavier on guitars, i guess that's what i like it, i also agree in the "nu-metal influence", yet i don't think it's a bad album for a sec, it's on my top three among "Angel Dust" and "The Real Thing".
    "Angel Dust" has a sick cover, "heaven and hell" alright, the screams and howling sounds from the beginning of "caffeine", give me chills to this days...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I would consider Caffeine to be the "best" Faith No More song. If I had to choose one.

The problem with KFAD is the lack of Roddy. There is an interview with Trey that suggested that there was a shift of power while writing and recording that record. My guess would be Patton trying to take the reigns as a lot of the songs are heavily dependent on him. The other thing they Trey interview mentioned was the band trying to rely less on the rhythm section improv to write the songs but to actually sit down and try to write "songs" which was a bit of a hit and miss. Like it or hate it, it's hard to deny there are some realy gems on there "cuckoo for caca", "just a man", "gentle art of baking cake", etc...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    KFAD is hit or miss. Quite a few songs from it that I absolutely love though (just a man, ricochet ). Hard to pick an actual favorite song from the catalog. Have a real soft spot for Everything's Ruined.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I have a question for FNM/Patton fans:

In addition to FNM, Patton has a huge body-of-work with other bands. Wiki states they include Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantômas, Lovage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Peeping Tom and solo albums. What other albums would people recommend?
    Last edited by GulDukat; 06-06-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

In addition to FNM, Patton has a huge body-of-work with other bands. Wiki states they include Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantômas, Lovage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Peeping Tom and solo albums. What other albums would people recommend?
    for rock: tomahawk
    for short bursts of insanity: fantomas
    for sexy times: lovage / peeping tom
    for long bouts of insanity and funky funky goodness: mr. bungle
    for experimental and beautiful: kaada/patton

his solo stuff is ALL over the place. there's a lot soundtrack work which is all pretty great, there's "adult themes for voice" which is NUTS but really interesting, and various other things.

also, he has a ton of collaborations with john zorn under various different project names, some of it just under zorn. hemophiliac (which is zorn, patton, and ikue mori) is particularly wonderful.

the EP he did with dillinger escape plan is still one of my favorite EPs ever, and definitely one of my favorite DEP releases, but if you're not into that band, you're not gonna like it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    for rock: tomahawk
    for short bursts of insanity: fantomas
    for sexy times: lovage / peeping tom
    for long bouts of insanity and funky funky goodness: mr. bungle
    for experimental and beautiful: kaada/patton

his solo stuff is ALL over the place. there's a lot soundtrack work which is all pretty great, there's "adult themes for voice" which is NUTS but really interesting, and various other things.

also, he has a ton of collaborations with john zorn under various different project names, some of it just under zorn. hemophiliac (which is zorn, patton, and ikue mori) is particularly wonderful.

the EP he did with dillinger escape plan is still one of my favorite EPs ever, and definitely one of my favorite DEP releases, but if you're not into that band, you're not gonna like it.
    Thanks! Always enjoy checking out new stuff.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post

There was a bunch of discussion on this subject back on page 10, which is worth reading over.

One album no one mentioned is one of Patton's more recent projects, Tetema. It's really wonderfully bizarre.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone.

Really excited about seeing FNM this summer. I have a lot of summer shows lined-up: Mudhoney, Pumpkins/Manson, Van Halen, Chris Cornell (this Fall) but I've seen all of them before (Cornell with SG) but have never seen FNM--should be a lot of fun.