Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Patton

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    Thanks! Always enjoy checking out new stuff.
    I'd personally recommend California by Bungle and any Tomahawk album first up.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I get that a lot of people are glad they're back and making new music, but it sounds anemic and scant to me. Ten songs and 40 minutes of music after nearly two decades...this album just isn't doing it for me.
    Yeah, they've been gone 17 years and at one album every three years they owe us 227 minutes of music. Fuck them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, I've been working my way through Mike Patton's projects (so far, only FNM and Tomahawk).

Didn't enjoy AOTY or The Real Thing all that much. KFOAD is quite good, and in some places, brilliant (Star A.D.). Angel Dust I've heard already, I think it's great mostly, but some of the songs I'm not too big a fan of (Malpractice, Crack Hitler). Sol Invictus grew on me after repeated listens and is now my favourite FNM album. I was kind of missing the harder groovier stuff, but the hypnotic (as someone here put it) mood of the album is really wonderful.

As far as Tomahawk goes, the first album is great, OddFellows is one of the best albums I've heard in my entire life, Anonymous is interesting and a damn good album given the theme/concept of it, and Mit Gas is kinda patchy, imo. A few songs on there (Rotgut, When the Stars Begin to Fall, Harlem Clowns) just don't do it for me. Natural Disaster is friggin' beautiful, though.

Going to check out Mondo Cane next.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Sort of off-topic, but I downloaded FNM's first album, with singer Charles Mosley, from i-tunes. Not the best album that I've ever heard, but it's really not bad--kind of reminds me of PIL.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    So, I've been working my way through Mike Patton's projects (so far, only FNM and Tomahawk).

Didn't enjoy AOTY or The Real Thing all that much. KFOAD is quite good, and in some places, brilliant (Star A.D.). Angel Dust I've heard already, I think it's great mostly, but some of the songs I'm not too big a fan of (Malpractice, Crack Hitler). Sol Invictus grew on me after repeated listens and is now my favourite FNM album. I was kind of missing the harder groovier stuff, but the hypnotic (as someone here put it) mood of the album is really wonderful.

As far as Tomahawk goes, the first album is great, OddFellows is one of the best albums I've heard in my entire life, Anonymous is interesting and a damn good album given the theme/concept of it, and Mit Gas is kinda patchy, imo. A few songs on there (Rotgut, When the Stars Begin to Fall, Harlem Clowns) just don't do it for me. Natural Disaster is friggin' beautiful, though.

Going to check out Mondo Cane next.
    wow, it's really funny how different our patton-related opinions are. AOTY and angel dust are my favorite FNM albums, i think Mit Gas is one of the best things he's ever been a part of and is obviously my favorite Tomahawk album.

i wonder how you'll like mondo cane, because i LOVE it!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I have a question for FNM/Patton fans:

In addition to FNM, Patton has a huge body-of-work with other bands. Wiki states they include Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantτmas, Lovage, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Peeping Tom and solo albums. What other albums would people recommend?
    There's already lots of good recommendations in the thread but i will list my "Patton's highlight albums", just for the fun:

- Mr Bungle - Self titled (a difficult record to get into but a very funny, strange and bizarre, i love it because it's so bizarre...)
    - Mr Bungle - "California" (you can't go wrong with this one...)
    - Tomahawk - Self Titled (great songs, in your face)
    - Tomahawk - "Mit Gas" (their best album in my opinion, very Faith No More-ish..)
    - Fantomas - "Director's Cut" (movie themes reimagined by Patton and his crew, 'nuff said!)
    - Fantomas - "Suspended Animation" (this one is a bit overlooked but it's a funny experiment on cartoon music and sounds)
    - The Dillinger Escape Plan - "Irony is a dead scene" (not really a "Patton band", but an awesome collaboration that worked for both parties)
    - Mike Patton - "Pranzo Oltranzista" (Strange, experimental, sophisticated, i love it)
    - Mike Patton - "Mondo Cane" (Is as good as everyone says...)

PS: I hate Pepping Tom, sorry...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Read one review of the new Real Thing and Angel Dust releases. According to the reviewer, The Real Thing is somewhat improved sonically, while Angel Dust sounds unchanged. Some of the live cuts are edited to cut the stage banter out as well.

I'll probably pick these up even though I have all the B-sides and most of the live cuts and remixes on different singles and import versions already. Still, these discs are not as complete as they ought to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just got The Real Thing reissue today, and very surprised honestly. It does sound a lot fuller in my opinion. I didn't get Angel Dust though, my local music store didn't recieve my pre-order thingy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Was at the Glasgow show last night, was absolutely outstanding, during midlife crisis the crowd sang one of the choruses while the band just stopped and listened then Mike said hold on we're going to try something a bit different and broke into a funky little tune while singing the chorus then just jumped back into the main song, Mike and roddy were on top form interacting with the crowd talking about 'glesgae kisses' and deep frying everything amongst other things while billy turned his back on the crowd during one of the earlier songs and just started shaking his ass much to the amusement of both the crowd and the band, this was my first time seeing them as i was too young when they played the barrowlands but was well worth the wait

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Taking my jetlagged ass to see FNM on Thursday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Finally got around to listening to the deluxe versions of the Real Thing and Angel Dust today. The Real Thing sounds a bit louder but it's not a revelation in my opinion. Angel Dust doesn't sound much different the Japanese pressing I already had. I actually think Rhino messed up "The World is Yours" at the end of the bonus disc. The keys are tuned up much more than the version that was on Who Cares A Lot?

I bought these for the remixes and live versions that I didn't already have on disc, but I'm a bit disappointed.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Umm Roundhouse Camden gig was delicious! . Highlights for me were Motherfucker, Land of Sunshine, Gentle art of Making Enemies , Surprise You're Dead, Superhero, King for a Day, Ashes to Ashes and We Care a Lot.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    FNM and Napalm Death in Texas. Oh yeah: https://www.facebook.com/officialnap...55656733445542

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Just got an email from Amazon saying the release date for the vinyl release of Sol Invictus has been pushed back to August 21 now. Lame.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by otnavuskire View Post
    Just got an email from Amazon saying the release date for the vinyl release of Sol Invictus has been pushed back to August 21 now. Lame.
    I know, right? I had it ordered as well. I canceled my Amazon order and got the gold vinyl from this store: http://basick.supplies/products/fait...yl-gatefold-lp

They still have one left! 27 GBP with international shipping.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 07-03-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    anyone remember this? i had a recording of FNM playing War Pigs live where Puffy throws a fit and storms off the stage leaving Patton to jump on the drums to finish the song.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    anyone remember this? i had a recording of FNM playing War Pigs live where Puffy throws a fit and storms off the stage leaving Patton to jump on the drums to finish the song.
    Wait, Poo Doody has a problem with Faith No More's cover of "War Pigs"? What a shithead.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Wait, Poo Doody has a problem with Faith No More's cover of "War Pigs"? What a shithead.
    I believe he's referring to Mike Bordin, FNM's drummer, not Puff Daddy. 'Puffy' is a nickname for Bordin.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blaileen View Post
    I believe he's referring to Mike Bordin, FNM's drummer, not Puff Daddy. 'Puffy' is a nickname for Bordin.
    Oh... my bad. Mike Bordin should own that name. Not Sean Combs... his new name should be Poo Doody.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Didn't you guys ever actually listen to Cuckoo for Caca? Take it from our drummer Puff, being good it gets you stuff.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I was reading old FNM interviews and saw an article on the old FNM.com about setlists and how they abbreviated song names on them. I saw that 'paths of glory' was called NIN. Anyone know why? Very curious as its one of my favorite FNM songs.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Oh... my bad. Mike Bordin should own that name. Not Sean Combs... his new name should be Poo Doody.
    I thought his new name was KettleBell.

The drum beat from Paths of Glory kinda sounds NINny.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post

The drum beat from Paths of Glory kinda sounds NINny.
    I was wondering if it was the synth during the verses. Kinda sounds NINny. Also a darker song.....who knows.

Has patton ever commented on NIN or trent? Would like to hear his opinion.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    I was wondering if it was the synth during the verses. Kinda sounds NINny. Also a darker song.....who knows.

Has patton ever commented on NIN or trent? Would like to hear his opinion.
    I saw a few quotes over the years. The ones I remember he said something about NIN not being the worst band there was. The other was some stage banter about sharing a festival with NIN and asking people if the music made them depressed. I am paraphrasing here.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I am seeing Faith No Fucking More tonight, FOOLS!!!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I am seeing Faith No Fucking More tonight, FOOLS!!!!
    They are crazier than they've ever been. At 45+ they have more energy and play the music as passionately as ever. Still feeling it, totally into the music. Expect a pretty wild crowd, it was pretty intense in Houston. Patton sounds better incredible. Jealous!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Great fucking show in Boston tonight. Even better than they were back in May.

Patton dove into the crowd during the finale. I'm guessing he's gonna be a little bruised, as no one was expecting it and no one really caught him. He nailed himself pretty hard on the seats. I didn't catch the jump on video, but got him surfing afterwards.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I was at tonight's show and it was awesome.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Anyone else check out the Nevermen album released last week? Took a couple listens to let the songs sink in, but I'm thoroughly digging it now