Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: NIN Spotting 2024

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Criterion is releasing 4K UHD versions of Gregg Araki's "teen apocalypse trilogy" including The Doom Generation, which has NIN on the soundtrack. Check out the pack shot, there's a lyric from "Terrible Lie" prominently displayed on the back of the disc holder:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/75...alypse-trilogy

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    this person should not feel stupid when none of us have noticed this. i love it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/s/KB5S9xJpSD

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    this person should not feel stupid when none of us have noticed this. i love it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nin/s/KB5S9xJpSD
    Holy crap… scroll down further to the person noticing it also resembles the AIR flag, and the “stars” match up…

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

I don't know if this has been spotted yet, a short documentary "Fight Like Hell" uses a handful of songs from Ghosts: V

what a bunch of morons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not sure if this was posted previous, if so I missed it. In the new 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice', there's a scene with Jenny Ortega in the attic of a boy and they're listening to vinyl. 'Broken' is on full display at the front of the stack.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    New Xiu Xiu record (which is fantastic) was inspired by a lot of the production choices from The Downward Spiral.

John Congleton mixed the album. He’s a record producer, mix engineer, a good friend of mine, and someone I’ve learned a lot from about music from a technical and philosophical standpoint. A couple years ago, I was doing a short course about experimental music for Atlas Obscura. For part of the course, I was interviewing different musicians. I was interviewing John and asked him which records particularly inspired him. One of them was Nine Inch Nails’ Downward Spiral. I asked him what he loved about it, and he said it seemed like every musical decision was iconoclastic. It is such a weird record and completely baffling to me how it became a Top 40 record. There’s some jams on there but a lot of it’s super brutal, pure noise, and the subject is pretty hideous and unforgiving. It’s constantly unrooting scriptures.

The idea of iconoclasm and musical ideas wasn’t something I’d really thought of until John mentioned it. Being consciously fearless about unraveling something aesthetic almost ruins it. It becomes nonspontaneous and then accidentally institutionalized because you have decided, “I am the coolest kid on the block because I have destroyed this idea”. But at the same time, being afraid to destroy ideas completely ruins the possibility of doing something bold enough to be meaningful.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Criterion is releasing 4K UHD versions of Gregg Araki's "teen apocalypse trilogy" including The Doom Generation, which has NIN on the soundtrack. Check out the pack shot, there's a lyric from "Terrible Lie" prominently displayed on the back of the disc holder:

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/75...alypse-trilogy
    That particular lyric is a Charlie Manson quote. Not sure if TR was deliberately referencing Manson

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    That particular lyric is a Charlie Manson quote. Not sure if TR was deliberately referencing Manson
    Not quite a quote, but possibly a paraphrase (the original lyric in CM's song "Eyes of a Dreamer" was: "is the world as sad as it seems?"), but it very well could have been a deliberate reference.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes, this is AI generated, but this is pretty damn funny and kind of catchy too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Not quite a quote, but possibly a paraphrase (the original lyric in CM's song "Eyes of a Dreamer" was: "is the world as sad as it seems?"), but it very well could have been a deliberate reference.
    also could be taken from Throbbing Gristle track The Old Man Smiled https://genius.com/Throbbing-gristle...-smiled-lyrics

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

A post shared by on