Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: NIN Spotting 2024

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    It sounds like Trent wasn't as committed to the idea of reinventing things as Adrian was. Maybe it was one of those ideas that seemed good on paper, but once they started working on it, it started to fall apart. That's really a shame that he had to go through that and get kicked out of King Crimson as well.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Very interesting to hear that side of things. I'd be interested to hear what Eric Avery thinks about it, since it seems he was in the same boat. The only thing I've seen was a quote from the news reports of his leaving, basically saying he just didn't want to be on the road for another year and wanted to focus on his own music.

Maybe Trent's version of reinventing things and Adrian's were a bit too different. I'm surprised to hear that, at least from Adrian's telling, Trent kinda blamed the rest of the band for the whole thing. That part seems off to me, and maybe that's just his mind remembering it differently ten years later. It's weird to think that Trent would prioritize the opinions of the rest of the band over his own, so I have to think that Trent wasn't happy with the way things were going either.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    @piggy someone made an edit of the Fortnite version, removing censorship and stopping the abrupt ending.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    ^ It's wild to me that this exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It sounds like Trent wasn't as committed to the idea of reinventing things as Adrian was. Maybe it was one of those ideas that seemed good on paper, but once they started working on it, it started to fall apart. That's really a shame that he had to go through that and get kicked out of King Crimson as well.
    This is a much larger history than I can go into without dragging the thread off topic, but the narrative that Ade got "kicked out" of KC isn't the whole picture. I'm not surprised he's changing his story now w/r/t NIN.
    Last edited by botley; 01-28-2024 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ It's wild to me that this exists.

This is a much larger history than I can go into without dragging the thread off topic, but the narrative that Ade got "kicked out" of KC isn't the whole picture. I'm not surprised he's changing his story now w/r/t NIN.
    +1... Not my circus, not my monkeys, but I would maybe let sleeping dogs lie on this one if I were him.

Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure there's a previously unseen Bleedthrough era interpretation of the NIN logo in Rob's latest Instagram post. Plus he's got a nice blurb about Bleedthrough vs With Teeth - or rather, how they're just different stages of the same creative project.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I'm pretty sure there's a previously unseen Bleedthrough era interpretation of the NIN logo in Rob's latest Instagram post. Plus he's got a nice blurb about Bleedthrough vs With Teeth - or rather, how they're just different stages of the same creative project.
    I want to exist in the timeline where it was called Bleedthrough because man, nin.com was so fucking cool-looking during those few months.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Recently uploaded clip of the 1993 New Year's edition of 120 Minutes, with Mike Edwards (Jesus Jones) talking about NIN, and how Trent was in the recording process of The Downward Spiral. 15:50

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Attack of the Doc!

24:12, NIN shirt spotted...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Anyone else here do the daily NYT crossword? I just finished today’s and was happy to find Trent on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Anyone else here do the daily NYT crossword? I just finished today’s and was happy to find Trent on it
    Yup! Saw that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Adrian Belew speaks about not touring with NIN and it's pretty sad... (begins at 13:38)
    I think in the past he just said that while he was promised a total reimagining of the material, in the rehearsals he was pushed to do things almost exactly the way they were played before, and he got annoyed with that and left. The version in this video paints it in a bit different light

This always fascinated me. I rememebr in 2013 Trent saying that Nine Inch Nails was "reinventing itself from scratch", so I think there was an idea of how to reinterpret the material but it just didn't click or come together. I know a lot of guitar guys like this in my personal life, they're good players ... but they seem to be in their own world when it comes to 'jamming' and it's hard to get structure out of them. Adrian is incredible, but comments like "L.A. players" just come across obnoxious.

In the end, I think whatever they may have been planning would have been perfect for a club run of shows where it's a new vibe ... but in 2013, they were playing major festivals and about to embark on a stadium tour, so potentially trying things a bit new just didn't feel right at the time.

Trent even made the comment on Discord two years ago that the latest version of the band was done, so who knows what could be next.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    There was a fair bit of reinvention since 2013. All the EP material is obviously new, but also, the perfect drug, sanctified rework, terrible lie with more prominent bass bit; iirc doing the LP version of TDTWWA was from after that

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    I mean there was considerable reinvention within 2013 itself...the Belew rehearsals were before the summer festival run of that tour, with Tension (a wild departure from previous tour cycles) starting a few weeks after the fest run concluded. Something seems off about this new retelling of events but at this point I couldn't care less.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Have we seen this before?

whatmynailsdeserve.png

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could that be a copyright infringement?

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    This pic is few years old and I always wondered if it's even real because there are literally no other pics of this place. Surely more than 1 nin fan walked that street somewhere in Greece or Cyprus?

edit: ok you know what? apparently it's real

https://maps.app.goo.gl/EeRqdTX5PHZ14KMG9

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    Could that be a copyright infringement?
    Trademark infringement. If that were in the U.S., that'd be an easy cease and desist.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This pic is few years old and I always wondered if it's even real because there are literally no other pics of this place. Surely more than 1 nin fan walked that street somewhere in Greece or Cyprus?

Seems to be a real place

https://www.google.com/local/place/f...UmZIRXlXLVE%3D

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Trademark infringement. If that were in the U.S., that'd be an easy cease and desist.
    What can be done about it?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    nin news is so scarce, the couple year old nails meme is all we have to discuss in nin spotting.

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    @botley , is it me or does this upcoming Gary Numan 7” look like it borrowed its design from the original HLAH single?

https://twitter.com/numanofficial/st...638776/photo/1

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    @botley , is it me or does this upcoming Gary Numan 7” look like it borrowed its design from the original HLAH single?

https://twitter.com/numanofficial/st...638776/photo/1
    Passing resemblance, but that cover is itself an adaptation of the poster for his 998th/999th/1000th gigs, which to my eyes (except for it not being a square, and the red text at bottom) is even closer to the NIN design: https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...65010738327339

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I'd somehow never seen it until now. I was struck by how good the proportions look relative to the actual logo.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Trademark protections are only good for the jurisdiction in which they're registered. But, it turns out, Trent actually has a European Union Trademark registration for the NIN logo:
    https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#det...arks/007523723

Greece is beholden to that, so there would be a legal basis if he wanted to pursue that.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    Trademark protections are only good for the jurisdiction in which they're registered. But, it turns out, Trent actually has a European Union Trademark registration for the NIN logo:
    https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#det...arks/007523723

Greece is beholden to that, so there would be a legal basis if he wanted to pursue that.
    Generally speaking, big-ish organizations really don't care if some tiny company is using their stuff. Yes, some are more litigious than others, especially the huge companies, but there's a good chance the NIN camp saw it, had a chuckle, and moved on. If they opened a chain, went viral, etc., then it would be a different story.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    nin news is so scarce, the couple year old nails meme is all we have to discuss in nin spotting.
    It was the crossword that did it for me. Might be time for that medically induced coma I keep reading so much about.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Have you heard about the live wire over the bus at woodstock 94? You can see the aftermath here
    Last edited by alfonso99; 02-15-2024 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I'm always on the hunt for rare Woodstock footage, so it's so cool to see that uploaded.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Pretty funny, I remember TR talking about that morning in an interview but it's hilarious to see them goofing around with The Croz. RIP you magnificent bastard.