Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Queer (2024)

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Queer (2024)

Luca Guadagnino's next film, Queer. TRAR will once again be providing the score. Should be released on the festival circuit at the end of the year.

A historical romantic drama film, based on the 1985 novel of the same name by William S. Burroughs. Set in 1940s Mexico City, the film follows an outcast American expat (Daniel Craig) who becomes infatuated with a younger man (Drew Starkey).

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    This will debut at Venice Film Festival in a month.
    https://www.indiewire.com/news/gener...ig-1235028766/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The film has had its length reduced by about an hour. Wonder if that means some of the score will also be lost?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explodey View Post
    The film has had its length reduced by about an hour. Wonder if that means some of the score will also be lost?
    Same thing happened with Bones and All. Keep in mind that 1) Trent and Atticus aren't always scoring to picture but composing music that feels like it belongs in the film at first and getting more specific later, and 2) just because something they composed doesn't end up in the movie doesn't mean it can't end up in the released score.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    A24 has officially picked up distribution.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    ^ Hey, that's a good sign! Should be some fun collectibles coming our way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Same thing happened with Bones and All. Keep in mind that 1) Trent and Atticus aren't always scoring to picture but composing music that feels like it belongs in the film at first and getting more specific later, and 2) just because something they composed doesn't end up in the movie doesn't mean it can't end up in the released score.
    I dunno about the same thing, wasn't the four-hour version of B&A basically an assembly cut?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    ^ Hey, that's a good sign! Should be some fun collectibles coming our way.

I dunno about the same thing, wasn't the four-hour version of B&A basically an assembly cut?
    Sure, the timing of when the cuts were made is different, but I just mean that Luca seems to be like Terence Malick, where he shoots a lot and then trims it down as the movie approaches its wide release. Most movies have a shooting script that’s expected to be the entirety of the movie, with only a few scenes being removed or trimmed due mostly to pacing issues. Luca seems to like getting a lot of footage to work with and then finding the actual movie in the editing process.

I really like Bones and All, but it’s a bit of a slow burn, so I couldn’t imagine preferring a longer cut. No telling if it’ll be the same thing with Queer or if it’ll be a movie that leaves me excited about the possibility of a longer cut somewhere down the road.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Reviews from Venice:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...os-1235986089/
    "After their pounding beats energized Challengers, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross shift gears with a score drenched in melancholy feeling, shaping the mood along with invigorating blasts of non-period tracks by New Order, Nirvana, Sinéad O’Connor and Prince, among others."

https://deadline.com/2024/09/queer-r...al-1236076219/
    "terrific industrial-jazzy score by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can't wait to listen to what sounds like another great score from TR/AR.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Bad Witch sounds like Industrial Jazz, but since it's also melancholy, maybe we're getting Sad Witch?
    Last edited by trollmanen; 09-12-2024 at 12:24 PM.