Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tron: Ares (2025) OST by Nine Inch Nails

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'll double post because fuck it - that one minute clip sounds like it belongs in Quake, the other NIN soundtrack if you count it as such, so if that's the vibe here, plus TR's annoyance with Daft Punk's score for Tron: Legacy fueling this, then this has the potential to be fucking great.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    I don't care for the movie, but i'm excited for the Soundtrack!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Regarding the whole "is it NIN or is it TR/AR" thing, the main difference for me is who's behind it. Even though "Compress/Repress", "A Minute to Breather", and "You Made It Feel Like Home" could ABSOLUTELY count as NIN to me, they were written IN SERVICE OF those particular films (with the lyrics to "Compress/Repress" not even witten by TR/AR).

So if they (Disney, Reznor and Ross, whoever) want to market the Tron soundtrack as "by Nine Inch Nails" and it's just TR/AR doing score work, I'll be a little bummed, although I completely understand that the NIN logo looks cooler in lines of fire than "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross".

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    So if they (Disney, Reznor and Ross, whoever) want to market the Tron soundtrack as "by Nine Inch Nails" and it's just TR/AR doing score work, I'll be a little bummed, although I completely understand that the NIN logo looks cooler in lines of fire than "Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross".
    To pull that thread a little further...the score for Tron: Legacy wasn't billed as by Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo. Yes, I realize the difference here, in that TR+AR have a very active scoring career...just that there is precedent for "Music by [insert band here]"

I think we (royally speaking) should at least wait until a proper trailer drops before we start making judgements on what this will or won't be.
    Last edited by cdm; 08-12-2024 at 04:29 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was thinking just now about how Halsey’s album & other Trent (with & without Atticus) appearances/productions have all been billed as TR(&AR) EXCEPT for the HEALTH track, and we all know how very NIN that was…

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    shock horror, multinational capitalist mega corporation supports the side of American politics that won’t tax it as much.

slightly back on topic [...snip]
    You've completely ignored the context of Floridian politics specifically, which is that they attempted to frame it as a principled objection to anti-LGBT policies of the state... but sure let's boil down the situation to its starkest reality: they WEREN'T supporting that side for two years, now they are again. It's on topic, this is a thread about NIN scoring a film for Disney. Sending your dollars there ultimately goes in that direction.
    Last edited by botley; 08-13-2024 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    You've completely ignored the context of Floridian politics specifically, which is that they attempted to frame it as a principled objection to anti-LGBT policies of the state... but sure let's boil down the situation to its starkest reality: they WEREN'T supporting that side for two years, now they are again. It's on topic, this is a thread about NIN scoring a film for Disney. Sending your dollars there ultimately goes in that direction.
    To be fair, and not to diminish any consumer choice regarding the political implication of buying stuff : wherever you send your dollars go in every direction all at once. Good for you for boycotting Disney, sincerely, but you're boycotting a lot of other things, some you'd perhaps like to support.
    Again, I'm not putting that issue under the rug, it's a real problem, and ah-huming about it does nothing but further the current statu quo. But that pipeline from your pocket to the GOP isn't a straight tube. Have fun with the rabbit hole of everything you're giving money to...

Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    To be clear, I'm not saying every dollar is directly going to re-elect Donald Trump (though a non-zero amount of each dollar I spend is). I'm aware that $85,000 of in-kind donations is less than a rounding error for a corporation the size of Disney, but that's also about what they grossed on selling a decent-sized run of vinyl pressings for the Soul score. When they stopped donating to DeSantis' thugs in 2022, I finally got one for my collection; now that they've signaled they actually didn't ever care about LGBT rights at all I'm going back to a boycott.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BJM View Post
    *bows down¨*

that vid needs some music....

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Somehow this feels like something I can never have crossed with the frail.

I've never actually watched a Tron movie, but this score has me excited.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    i’m getting ahead of myself here but what about a tron disney ride with nin music? sign me up. rage and metallica on the x2 at six flags in LA was cool so i think i’d be all this ride too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i’m getting ahead of myself here but what about a tron disney ride with nin music? sign me up. rage and metallica on the x2 at six flags in LA was cool so i think i’d be all this ride too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've seen what an NIN-themed ride looks like, I think I'll pass.

(link NSFW)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    i’m getting ahead of myself here but what about a tron disney ride with nin music? sign me up.
    Disney World opened a Tron Lightcycle ride last year. I'm sure they could adapt the music programming if they wanted to.

Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Disney World opened a Tron Lightcycle ride last year. I'm sure they could adapt the music programming if they wanted to.
    We need a new track called "Dear (Disney) World,"

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    i would call it the nin ride to my friends.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    So will this be a halo or a null?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spahn View Post

I'm thinking halo

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quake was a null, and was credited to Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Correct. By all rights it should be a Null number release and that's basically why I'm less excited about it than I want to be.

Putting aside the fact I haven't seen and have basically no interest in the Tron movies, and the fact that insufferable scumbag / generally terrible actor Jared Leto is actually the STAR... I'm sure the music will be good, Trent and Atticus make great work, and with all the NIN branding and mention of songs it clearly won't be the average TR&AR soundtrack. But I have to be honest, in the midst of this relatively dormant NIN period I was pretty excited for whenever Trent and Atticus got bored of their work-for-hire scoring jobs and flipped back to the creative, personally driven sandbox of Nine Inch Nails work. So the fact that potentially the first full-length Nine Inch Nails release with vocals in over half a decade is another soundtrack they are commissioned to create, but as Nine Inch Nails this time, is a letdown to be honest. What's so exciting about a new release or phase of NIN is not just the amazing new music, it's discovering what new artistic rabbit hole Trent and now Atticus with him are exploring and delving into what they are expressing with the imagery and art direction and lyrics and themes, coming to feel the statement behind it. None of that really applies to a NIN Tron soundtrack. It's a score, and as much as I love film scores in general and their body of scoring work in particular, scores are a piece of a larger artistic work and exist in the service of that work's narrative and themes, so the material for a Tron soundtrack has a lot less to do with what Trent and Atticus are thinking and feeling about things and a lot more to do with the narrative of the second sequel to a movie from 1982.

As I said before, I have no doubt the music will be catchy and well produced, but I don't find it to be an interesting or artistically stimulating project. I require no education about the relationship between art and commerce and am well aware that NIN has always had a commercial side but frankly with how much recent NIN news has basically revolved around them partnering with companies to help them sell things, I just hope Nine Inch Nails doesn't start feeling less like the masthead of a musical artist and more like a brand that is rented out to various entities to lend them greater value and cultural cachet.
    Last edited by Deacon Blackfire; 08-17-2024 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I can't be the only one who was getting flashbacks of this reveal when the NIN logo came up at the end of the trailer, right?
    (20 second mark)

Nine Inch Nails...from Doom to Disney, hah!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon Blackfire View Post
    Correct. By all rights it should be a Null number release and that's basically why I'm less excited about it than I want to be.

Putting aside the fact I haven't seen and have basically no interest in the Tron movies, and the fact that insufferable scumbag / generally terrible actor Jared Leto is actually the STAR... I'm sure the music will be good, Trent and Atticus make great work, and with all the NIN branding and mention of songs it clearly won't be the average TR&AR soundtrack. But I have to be honest, in the midst of this relatively dormant NIN period I was pretty excited for whenever Trent and Atticus got bored of their work-for-hire scoring jobs and flipped back to the creative, personally driven sandbox of Nine Inch Nails work. So the fact that potentially the first full-length Nine Inch Nails release with vocals in over half a decade is another soundtrack they are commissioned to create, but as Nine Inch Nails this time, is a letdown to be honest. What's so exciting about a new release or phase of NIN is not just the amazing new music, it's discovering what new artistic rabbit hole Trent and now Atticus with him are exploring and delving into what they are expressing with the imagery and art direction and lyrics and themes, coming to feel the statement behind it. None of that really applies to a NIN Tron soundtrack. It's a score, and as much as I love film scores in general and their body of scoring work in particular, scores are a piece of a larger artistic work and exist in the service of that work's narrative and themes, so the material for a Tron soundtrack has a lot less to do with what Trent and Atticus are thinking and feeling about things and a lot more to do with the narrative of the second sequel to a movie from 1982.

As I said before, I have no doubt the music will be catchy and well produced, but I don't find it to be an interesting or artistically stimulating project. I require no education about the relationship between art and commerce and am well aware that NIN has always had a commercial side but frankly with how much recent NIN news has basically revolved around them partnering with companies to help them sell things, I just hope Nine Inch Nails doesn't start feeling less like the masthead of a musical artist and more like a brand that is rented out to various entities to lend them greater value and cultural cachet.
    I understand and totally get your points that you are making in your comments but I disagree that it won't be an artistically stimulating project. I think these projects, albeit a TR/AR score or in this case, a "non-proper" NIN album allows them to explore other avenues of music making that may not otherwise fit inside the NIN "box". I don't believe something like Mank or Challengers would ever be well received with the NIN branding but I am glad we got to see that artistic side of them.

I too long for a proper NIN album with vocals and the whole release treatment of a website, promo singles, etc. but I am not sure we will ever get that again.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

what if it's "Null 19 / Halo 35" ?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    what if it's "Null 19 / Halo 35" ?
    that will really fuck with collectors! Lol

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I understand and totally get your points that you are making in your comments but I disagree that it won't be an artistically stimulating project. I think these projects, albeit a TR/AR score or in this case, a "non-proper" NIN album allows them to explore other avenues of music making that may not otherwise fit inside the NIN "box". I don't believe something like Mank or Challengers would ever be well received with the NIN branding but I am glad we got to see that artistic side of them.

I too long for a proper NIN album with vocals and the whole release treatment of a website, promo singles, etc. but I am not sure we will ever get that again.
    I'm not sure we will either.

Obviously their scoring body of work has taken some adventurous and worthwhile turns that would not have fit under the "box" of Nine Inch Nails as you say, you'll get no argument from me there. Their musical output is generally top notch. But to quote an oldie, wish there was something real wish there was something true, something that exists just because Trent and or Atticus have something to say, not because they were commissioned to create it. Their work on seven film scores has come out since the last significant Nine Inch Nails release, itself instrumental and popularly hypothesized to itself be unused score work (from The Woman in the Window). They are brilliant at what they do but what makes Nine Inch Nails specifically such an impressively enduring artistic project in my eyes is the honesty and vulnerability Trent has always brought to it. Maybe at his age, with a family, in the midst of establishing a massive art and media company, Trent is less inclined to be either in his artistic output. The Cold & Black & Infinite trilogy gave me hope that he and Atticus with him would continue to go to challenging places and make difficult works, even as he has found the happiness and stability he deserves, and they may well still. As things stand now, I'm happy for the Tron fans for whom this was a dream come true.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Their musical output is generally top notch. But to quote an oldie, wish there was something real wish there was something true, something that exists just because Trent and or Atticus have something to say, not because they were commissioned to create it.
    I don't discount the sincerity of the work they produce for films or other artists. I think and I'd like to believe that they create music that means something to them and that they take on projects that are honest and true to the art form.
    I may be naive or be blinded by how much I enjoy NIN/TR/AR, but I don't believe they were to score something that is not true or real to them, except maybe Patriot's Day.
    They've also said before, there is something freeing about creating something for someone else's vision and I think there is validity to that as you aren't pressured to live up to the NIN brand...although it feels like we do that anyways.

Either way, I appreciate the healthy discussion we are having. It's good to have a back and forth without any disrespect to anyone. I, shamefully, just watched Tron / Tron: Legacy for the first time this past weekend and I truly enjoyed it. For someone who has been in the IT world for 25+ years, I can't believe it even took me this long to watch it. I look forward to what Tron: Ares has to offer and of course, what NIN brings to that table.
    Last edited by spahn; 08-19-2024 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    But to quote an oldie, wish there was something real wish there was something true, something that exists just because Trent and or Atticus have something to say, not because they were commissioned to create it.
    To quote a more recent song: you'd think by now you'd realize that nothing's going to change.

Trent & Atticus have been doing this for over a decade. Love it or hate it, it's their bread and butter now, and they've found their groove in it. Asking them to make something "real" when they've experienced a lot of creative and critical success with what they've done is kind of ridiculous. As far as this new score/album goes, I think people are splitting hairs with it at this point. Is there a reason it's credited to Nine Inch Nails and not Trent & Atticus? Probably. Do we know why? No! So why worry about it? Is it really that big of a deal at this point? Nine Inch Nails is Trent & Atticus and vice versa. If one (1) score gets credited to Nine Inch Nails, it's not the end of the world or a betrayal of some sort.