Page 17 of 101 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    So that Deftones date on May 4th in Charlotte NC is part of my state's music festival, Carolina Rebellion. Too bad in the two days worth of music the only ones worth a shit besides Deftones is Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, The rest fucking suck.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    On the other hand, the collector's edition will sound EXACTLY the same as the regular edition. So fans of the music aren't missing anything.
    actually, the collector's edition is pressed on 180g vinyl, so it'll sound a bit better than the standard version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    actually, the collector's edition is pressed on 180g vinyl, so it'll sound a bit better than the standard version.
    Heavier does not mean it will sound better. All it means is that it's less likely to warp. It's a huge misconception that labels use to upsell. You get better sound from better mastering, a cleaner pressing process, higher quality materials, etc. I have 180g LPs that sound like shit.

I think there is some weird assumption that because it's thicker the grooves are deeper or something? Simply not the case.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    On the other hand, the collector's edition will sound EXACTLY the same as the regular edition. So fans of the music aren't missing anything.
    True, but for people like me who are genuine fans of listening to LPs and also a genuine fan of the band, it's nice to have that added little extra "numbered" version, despite it sounding the same as the 140 gram standard.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daegor View Post
    Heavier does not mean it will sound better. All it means is that it's less likely to warp. It's a huge misconception that labels use to upsell. You get better sound from better mastering, a cleaner pressing process, higher quality materials, etc. I have 180g LPs that sound like shit.

I think there is some weird assumption that because it's thicker the grooves are deeper or something? Simply not the case.
    hmmm...i feel kinda stupid. i always assumed that the extra weight allowed for a cleaner pressing.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    hmmm...i feel kinda stupid. i always assumed that the extra weight allowed for a cleaner pressing.
    To be fair, while it won't allow for a cleaner pressing, it makes for a more durable record. They wear out a lot more slowly than thinner records. That's the added advantage (in addition to less likelihood of warping as Daegor explained).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    To be fair, while it won't allow for a cleaner pressing, it makes for a more durable record. They wear out a lot more slowly than thinner records. That's the added advantage (in addition to less likelihood of warping as Daegor explained).
    Yup, though you have to define "wear out" as well, being that the grooves aren't any deeper it'll scratch just as easily, and be just as susceptible to dust, really the only difference is that it would be harder to break/warp.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    speed does improve the sound though... I don't understand why more of these "limited special deluxe" editions of records aren't pressed on 45s.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Deftones said that Carolina Rebellion was in ROCKINGHAM (facebook), which gave me a massive boner, until I found out that it is indeed in Charlotte. I can't help but feel a bit pissed off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jesus fucking christ, tickets for the sold-out show in Berlin are now going 4(!) times their value on ebay. Bought mine for 37 euros, just saw an auction end for 122 euros for a single ticket.

As much as I despise scalping, I would have never in my wildest dreams thought that the Deftones would be this much in demand.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    speed does improve the sound though... I don't understand why more of these "limited special deluxe" editions of records aren't pressed on 45s.
    Because it would cost more, and the peeps who buy LE vinyl releases have had the wool successfully pulled over their eyes without the labels having to incur any cost.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but has anyone gotten their tix yet from deftonestix? I am paranoid as I will be moving in the next couple of weeks and would like to be here when they come.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    So apparently there will be a live vinyl boxset coming out soon where there will be 4-5 live songs from each album's era on it. Should be great... until you get to the massive coked out S/T era. Even Chino admitted that it was hard to listen to some of the tapes, in the interview where he was talking about it.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    No CD release?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    No CD release?
    Far too early to tell. This was just talked about casually in a radio show interview a day or two ago. No clue as to release date or details yet.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The fact that he mentioned it as a vinyl release kind of makes me think it might be a RSD exclusive item this year, and therefor won't be getting a CD release, similar to their Covers RSD release. Which I'm fine with.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but has anyone gotten their tix yet from deftonestix? I am paranoid as I will be moving in the next couple of weeks and would like to be here when they come.
    Mine are will call and as far as I know will call was the only option for the Deftonestix presale. At least it was for the Texas show.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    apparently, the first song from PALMS leaked... but ic an't find it anywhere.

but the first album has been dated for 6/25

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    apparently, the first song from PALMS leaked... but ic an't find it anywhere.

but the first album has been dated for 6/25
    check the palms thread.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    finally listened through to the new album, and holy shit is this a well produced record. I'm stunned.
    The music's good and all, but the production is face melting.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Going to see them in Montreal tonight. Can't freaking wait! Will post my thoughts tomorrow.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Let us know the setlist!

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Oh boy ... Man what a fucking amazing show!
    This was my 4th time seeing the band and goddamn they were awesome.
    Chino looked kinda drunk but still put an incredible performance. The rest of the band was freaking tight. I literally have nothing bad to say. The setlist was freaking awesome as well.

I didn't note every song but they started off the show with Be Quite And Drive (Far Away) followed by Head Up, My Own Summer and Around The Fur.
    To be perfectly honest, this was best start I've ever seen them do. Head Up as the second song?! The venue exploded.

Then in order they played Sextape, Diamond Eyes, Rocket Skates, You've Seen The Butcher, Feiticeira, Digital Bath, Tempest, Poltergeist, Entombed, Rosemary, Swerve City. (They might have played Beauty School, not 100% sure)

They ended up the show old school with Engine no. 9, 7 Words and Nosebleed.
    The encore was Change (In the House of Flies) and then the last song which I absolutely did not expect ... Passenger.

Can that setlist kick more ass? Tough to beat.
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 03-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Glad to hear this setlist since I am going to see them on Tuesday in the city so I'll be posting details with some photos

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Great news: http://www.theprp.com/2013/03/01/new...w-vinyl-plans/

"Deftones: Live: Volume 1 – Selections from AdrenalineOne disc vinyl 12″ EP – Quantity N/A
    Songs from Adrenaline hand-picked by Deftones and recorded live at Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York, on Oct. 13, 1996. The initial release in a series of seven vinyl exclusive releases with the first release being a Record Store Dayexclusive and the last planned to be a Black Friday independent exclusive retail release. Finally, the light of day has come. Cut for vinyl by Bernie Grundman atBernie Grundman Mastering Studios from the original live analog sources and pressed on both 120- and 180-gram highest-quality vinyl at Record Technology Inc."

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Duh, why all this vinyl obsession? Will this be available in digital form?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I really hope that setlist stays.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Very stoked to catch them tonight in Rochester!!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Duh, why all this vinyl obsession? Will this be available in digital form?
    Because it's the best way to listen to music. And probably not officially, but someone will more than likely rip the LPs to MP3 for everyone.

I'm super excited for this whole year of obtaining these. I'm wondering how the other 5 releases will be released. Deftones.com exclusives?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I didn't understand the vinyl thing until I tried it. Even a lossless file from vinyl sounds better. Can't put my finger on it but just sounds better and more detailed.