Page 67 of 101 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    definitely way more interested in the new album than eros, especially after hearing abe describe it that way, so let's hope september actually brings it!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Eros is up there with another album that never saw the light of day (Which I have been dying to hear since 2009) like Head Automaticas Swan Damage.

The intrigue is high for me and I would say I am still equally interested in Eros every time Deftones releases new stuff. Seems like something that will follow them until they finally release something from it so everyone can shut up about it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Eros is officially the Tapeworm of the Deftones discography.....To this day we do not even know how many songs are completed. Based on what Chino has said, it sounds like its mostly unfinished sketches and instrumentals with a few vocal tracks completed (like the Ezrin 2006 SNW demos)....

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Eros is up there with another album that never saw the light of day (Which I have been dying to hear since 2009) like Head Automaticas Swan Damage.

The intrigue is high for me and I would say I am still equally interested in Eros every time Deftones releases new stuff. Seems like something that will follow them until they finally release something from it so everyone can shut up about it.
    Well, Smile DID get released from it.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggermine View Post
    Well, Smile DID get released from it.
    Yes, and I loved every second of it.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    And Melanie! It would be awesome to get a studio version of that

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Smile & Melanie are both excellent & there are other finished songs too. There's a short album's worth of material ready, or near ready, at least. They are now hedging by saying EP so they have some leeway on how much they actually release.

We'll get it eventually. You don't just start playing Smile live out of nowhere multiple times for shits & giggles

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Smile & Melanie are both excellent & there are other finished songs too. There's a short album's worth of material ready, or near ready, at least. They are now hedging by saying EP so they have some leeway on how much they actually release.

We'll get it eventually. You don't just start playing Smile live out of nowhere multiple times for shits & giggles
    Well, they've only played Smile once, it's not like a regular song in their set (yet). Speaking of which, I went into their setlist.fm stats, it's a shame they've only played songs like Romantic Dreams, Leathers, Doomed User, 976-EVIL, Moana, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event, Hearts/Wires, and Good Morning Beautiful less than 12 times (and some songs have been played only once, like 976-EVIL). I get some songs could be hard on Chino's like Leathers and Doomed User but the rest? On the other hand, My Own Summer has been played 1217 times!

Excited about the new album

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always assumed Tempest started out as the Eros track Trempest, given the titles and all.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    My favorite story about Tempest was when the sharing lungs forum thought was a cover of the Bob Dylan song by the same name, while speculating about kny before release. That bib Dylan song came out the same year lol

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    And Melanie! It would be awesome to get a studio version of that
    Melanie? I'm actually not familiar with that one. I'll have to look that up.

Update: I've gone down a rabbit hole. Melanie is interesting. Seems similar to Rats! Rats! Rats! as YouTube commenters have mentioned. Now I'm listening to someone's "extended and EQ'd" version of Dallas, and it sounds A LOT like Beauty School. I think the reason why Eros would likely end up being turned into an EP is because some of the songs may have been reworked for other albums. @ViN might actually be on to something with Trempest possibly becoming Tempest.

This one is apparently Dallas with some footage of the session:

Last edited by wight rabbit; 06-16-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I believe one of the tracks was called you've seen the butcher, too so that checks out

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Well, they've only played Smile once, it's not like a regular song in their set (yet).

I stand corrected!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Same as I can’t understand Nails fans who aren’t interested in Tapeworm, I can’t understand Deftones fans who don’t want the Eros stuff. Smile — if it is indeed from the Eros sessions — is an absolute burner and is one of their most shoegazey tracks ever. A lost chapter between the atmospheric-as-fuck SNW and the more new wave-y Cure-ish textures of the three albums that followed? Who wouldn’t want to hear that, even if it’s just instrumentals with scratch demos. Those Ezrin SNW demos leaked and are the stuff of legend amongst Deftones fanatics. I’d settle for a four or five song EP of the Eros stuff, if Abe has any clue what he’s talking about in that interview..

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    White Pony oral history.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Same as I can’t understand Nails fans who aren’t interested in Tapeworm,
    At this point I’d support ETS actually blocking any post with “Tapeworm” in it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I wouldn't doubt that Abe knows what he's talking about. Eros as a myth is definitely one of those cases of fans running wild with an idea and overblowing it with little regard to what tangible information there was. It's been mentioned off hand once in a while that Abe is something like the bands archivist. Among the 5 of them he's actually the most likely to be keeping track of what's around.

4 or 5 is very consistent with what little information we have, if I recall correctly put the finished track count around 7. And what is finished? Recorded? Mixed? Mastered? Written? Who knows? Abe seems to indicate that some of them still need to go through some post production. Obviously "Smile" was good to go.

And as we have been mentioning it's probable that some of that material carried onto subsequent albums. Wouldn't it be weirder if it didn't? That's still speculation territory, of course, it's completely possible that the title was the only element that moved on.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    As I was reading the article, and first read about the remixed album idea, the first name that came to mind was DJ Shadow (almost positive he's been mentioned before by the band), made sense to see him named later in that article. Who do you guys think will be the other remixers? I could think of maybe Shaun Lopez of Far, DJ Crook, someone from Hum...

And this is hilarious, from that CoS article:

"DJ Frank Delgado added, “We would talk about [White Pony before we released it], how good it was going to be, and we’d immediately jump to, ‘It’s going to be so good, we’re going to have [DJ] Shadow remix it and we’ll call it Black Stallion. I think one time we actually hit him up. He was playing here in town and I was opening DJing and me and Chino kind of cornered him.”Delgado added, “And we were like, ‘Hey man, what’s up, we’re the Deftones,’ and he looked at us like we were f**king crazy. We were like, ‘We want you to remix our record,’ and he was like, ‘Deftones? Are you guys ska?’

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    https://www.theringer.com/music/2020/6/17/21293057/oral-history-deftones-white-pony-20th-anniversary

I think this is the original article CoS should have referred to, good read.
    Last edited by armogi; 06-18-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    White Pony oral history.
    This oral story is great! Some interesting tidbits:

Date: I’m the first to admit, and they’re a close second, to accuse me of not quite nailing the low-end part on the first record. I think we nailed it on the second record and especially on White Pony.

Do you think a remixing of Adrenaline is necessary?

“I wanted to go left [of nu-metal], not because I felt we were better than these bands,” Moreno says. “I wanted our band to stand on our own two feet. Nu-metal was at its peak. It’s in the name—nu-metal—it’s going to be old in time. Eventually, it did die.

Nice to see Chino is not arrogant about not being nu metal, and their "peers".

Rodleen Getsic, “Knife Party” guest vocalist: When I heard the band name, Deftones, I seriously thought it was going to be a ska band or reggae.

Funny that TWO people thought Deftones were a ska band.

Interesting trivia bit about the writing of the Passenger lyrics! And also interesting to see how many musicians hail Digital Bath as their favorite from that album.

And reassuring to read that this new album wasn't recorded with a click track and that apparently it was recorded with the five of them being in a room together. Pumped about the new album.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    This oral story is great! Some interesting tidbits:

“I wanted to go left [of nu-metal], not because I felt we were better than these bands,” Moreno says. “I wanted our band to stand on our own two feet. Nu-metal was at its peak. It’s in the name—nu-metal—it’s going to be old in time. Eventually, it did die.

Nice to see Chino is not arrogant about not being nu metal, and their "peers".
    He has definitely toned it down these days because there are interviews from around 2003 where he would go on about how Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and Papa Roach were pieces of shit and wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for the Deftones. I also remember him wrecking Korn numerous times about how embarrassing it was for Jonathan Davis to be crying about his parents. Chino def went through his Mike Patton phase of dissing other bands but these days he is a lot more chill.

Flashback to 2003

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/de...lica-and-korn/
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 06-18-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Date: I’m the first to admit, and they’re a close second, to accuse me of not quite nailing the low-end part on the first record. I think we nailed it on the second record and especially on White Pony.

Do you think a remixing of Adrenaline is necessary?

I'd kill for a remixed Adrenaline with some more balls in the low end. I don't listen to that album as much due to the production. It's just too thin. I don't want too have to keep cranking the low to mid end on my EQ each time it comes on. Need to make an Adrenaline listening preset or something.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    As I was reading the article, and first read about the remixed album idea, the first name that came to mind was DJ Shadow (almost positive he's been mentioned before by the band), made sense to see him named later in that article. Who do you guys think will be the other remixers? I could think of maybe Shaun Lopez of Far, DJ Crook, someone from Hum...
    I wouldn't be surprised if there's a Saudade remix since that band is mainly Chuck Doom and collaborators.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Good watch

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Boy, I want to say that the thin feeling of those songs is something I like about them. They stick out in a playlist, sure, but I fell in love with them that way and I don't know that they need to be "fixed." I'm always wary of intensive remix/remaster records because they then tend to become the standard for a whole generation of fans—the 40th Anniversary Doors remix/remasters are god fucking damned awful shit. And—unless you know specifically to avoid them—they're all that's out there now, on the shelves and in playlists for everyone to hear.
    Well, for me, the original mix/master of Adrenaline keeps me from listening to it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Well, for me, the original mix/master of Adrenaline keeps me from listening to it.
    Same. I have a pretty robust Deftones playlist but only Bored and maybe one other from Adrenaline. Would have at least two more but the sound quality just takes me out of the whole listening experience. (I realize that sounds pretentious as hell - maybe just how it was worded - but it is what it is.)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    He has definitely toned it down these days because there are interviews from around 2003 where he would go on about how Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and Papa Roach were pieces of shit and wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for the Deftones. I also remember him wrecking Korn numerous times about how embarrassing it was for Jonathan Davis to be crying about his parents. Chino def went through his Mike Patton phase of dissing other bands but these days he is a lot more chill.

Flashback to 2003

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/de...lica-and-korn/
    Interesting because Chino and his band are good friends with Linkin Park and KoRn. I guess it's a thing of still separating the music from someone you know.

20 years since White Pony and the album holds up better than ever. IMO it's a very timeless record. They were really writing songs there.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Anyone know when the White Pony vinyl reissue preorder is set to go up?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ton View Post
    Interesting because Chino and his band are good friends with Linkin Park and KoRn. I guess it's a thing of still separating the music from someone you know.

20 years since White Pony and the album holds up better than ever. IMO it's a very timeless record. They were really writing songs there.
    What he said about Jonathan's lyrics came off, to me, like a friend getting tired of their friend's constant whining and telling them to get over it and move on. Tough love, I suppose.