Page 75 of 101 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    I cant really think of one good video they have ever done. Every video is mostly them lip syncing and miming the performance in a warehouse with cuts to girls dancing or laying on a bed....I would rather bands do what Trent did w 'March of the Pigs'. Just play LIVE for 3 minutes and theres your video. No lip syncing. No miming the performance. No bullshit "storyline". Just play the song for real. The days of bands trying to out top eachother with these epic 'November Rain' type videos so they can get on the Top 20 MTV Countdown and get the video in heavy rotation are LONG GONE. All that happens now is you put your video on YT and your fans watch it. Why put in any effort at all. Performance videos get the point across
    The best Deftones music video is easily The Crow: City of Angels.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New beer.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I actually typically don't watch music videos. I have a weird thing about not really engaging with a band too much outside of the music itself, although Deftones and NIN kind of got grandfathered there. That said while seen a lot of bin music videos and videos from the 90s, the only Deftones video I've actually seen is "My Own Summer" long ago. I think I had the live in Hawaii DVD at one point. Live videos don't count lol

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I had NO idea he covered one of my favorite songs! Only gripe is, he leaves out "You're not the only one, it's a cruel..." But I'll friggin' take it.

Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-31-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yussssss, can't wait.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    You guys think tonight or next week?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    You guys think tonight or next week?
    I'm thinking on September 18th. Maybe next week. Definitely not this week.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Fairly random question,

but does anyone have any hi-res scans of any old White Pony Era magazine adverts for the album from Circus, Hit Parader, Revolver, etc.?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm so impatient. When's this shit gonna leak

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Random chime in from above conversation. You've Seen The Butcher is my favorite music video by the band.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ I love this video, but man, I forgot how boring that song is.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    It's a decent song, it's not one of the better songs on Diamond Eyes but it's not a bad one by any means.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    WHAAAAAAT! That's one of my favorite Deftones songs...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Only track I really don't like off Diamond Eyes is Rocket Skates. The song is so damn formulaic. It just repeats the same couple of sections over and over until it's done.

Rest of it is great. I very much enjoy the last four songs especially.
    Damn, that riff though! I thought it was one of the best lead off singles they've had purely on that riff (Minerva aside). You have a point though it just kinda repeats itself as a song and then it's over.

I had a great conversation about Deftones with a friend of mine yesterday evening, and it's so interesting how differently we thought about certain records, tracks, and even down to album artwork. He isn't really looking forward to the new record after not enjoying Gore, whereas I am looking forward to this although I too didn't enjoy Gore too much - but we agreed that SNW/DE/KNY is one hell of a three album run enough to cement the bands legacy, and that's on top of Self Titled, Around The Fur & White Pony before them.
    Last edited by Jord; 09-06-2020 at 10:13 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Rocket Skates was a "What the fuck were they thinking" moment when I first heard it. That chorus...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I much prefer Saturday Night Wrist to Koi No Yokan, and I think I like Gore most of the last four albums. Controversial opinion, probably.

That said, KNY has my favourite Deftones song on it (Rosemary). For some reason, I just can't get into it as an LP. Something doesn't connect. No idea why.
    Rosemary is probably my favourite cut from the record, it's really something else. There are a couple of tunes at the back end that lose me, but in a weird way to my ears DE & KNY kinda have a similar thread running throughout both records sound wise, so I've made a giant playlist grouping them together on my iPod and it's absolutely glorious. They are kinda twin records in the Deftones discography to me. SNW remains a rewarding cohesive listen, despite the inner-band turmoil that was occurring during the album's gestation, and Diamond Eyes is a pure triumphant record after the tragic passing of Chi and general uncertainty around the band following it.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Only track I really don't like off Diamond Eyes is Rocket Skates. The song is so damn formulaic. It just repeats the same couple of sections over and over until it's done.

Formulaic? Are you shitting me? There is more going on in those 4 minutes than any other song on that album..

CMND/CTRL, Prince and Risk could all be criticized as being formulaic as far as Deftones songs go. Rocket Skates, absolutely not..

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Rocket Skates was a "What the fuck were they thinking" moment when I first heard it. That chorus...
    M83 remix is amazing. The verses in it feel very spacey.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Formulaic? Are you shitting me? There is more going on in those 4 minutes than any other song on that album..

CMND/CTRL, Prince and Risk could all be criticized as being formulaic as far as Deftones songs go. Rocket Skates, absolutely not..
    The only song outside the formula there is CMND/CTRL which is a fucking weird ass song. It's a rap song with 15 beats! I can't point to a lot of those

It's a winning formula though. It's not my favorite, but I do like rocket skates.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I too cant really stand You've Seen The Butcher and CMND/CTRL. The former being one of the most boring, droning, monotonous songs ive heard from them, personally. I can literally play the song on one string, which mind you, that's not a bad thing on principle, but it kinda shows how much Stef just abuses the low strings ever since he got an 8 string. It's never been as interesting from the days of the 6 and 7 strings.

As for CMND/CTRL, while the alternating 7/8 to 4/4 is kinda cool, its still not very interesting to me imo.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    M83 remix is amazing. The verses in it feel very spacey.

Thanks for sharing this! I always sleep on remixes for heavier music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I too cant really stand You've Seen The Butcher and CMND/CTRL. The former being one of the most boring, droning, monotonous songs ive heard from them, personally. I can literally play the song on one string, which mind you, that's not a bad thing on principle, but it kinda shows how much Stef just abuses the low strings ever since he got an 8 string. It's never been as interesting from the days of the 6 and 7 strings.

As for CMND/CTRL, while the alternating 7/8 to 4/4 is kinda cool, its still not very interesting to me imo.
    Evidently he has a 9-string now. Like... why? What is even the point.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    He does. It was in the new video and he posted it on his instagram

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo eighteen View Post
    Stef is a sonic explorer, that's why.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    WHAT

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It's a decent song, it's not one of the better songs on Diamond Eyes but it's not a bad one by any means.
    THE

Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I too cant really stand You've Seen The Butcher ... being one of the most boring, droning, monotonous songs ive heard from them, personally.
    FUCK?

"you've seen the butcher" switches time signatures several times, has one of the sexiest choruses of the whole album, frank's keys get to create an incredibly beautiful layer that's far more audible than in most of their songs, and the bridge is unexpected and upbeat without ruining the dark mood of the rest of the song. are we listening to the same thing? o.O

for real, though, y'all can like what you like! i'm just surprised. i have never heard anyone refer to the song as boring before.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    @eversonpoe Time sigs alone dont make a good song. Sure they can help but the song never did anything to me. Lyrically, im pretty sure its just another song about sex. As with the other Sextones songs, with one exception, that doesn't really interest me being that I am Aromantic Asexual. Musically the verse and pre chorus are just the same 2 notes being spammed over and over again and that's not fun, thats not creative, thats just boring, personally . I'll give you that Chino's vocals in the pre chorus are pretty good though. I always did love how he belts out the chorus but that's probably the only thing i really like about the song. I still love Diamond Eyes as an album a lot and Sextape, ironically enough, is my fave Deftones song of all time, now THAT is a beautiful and gorgeous song

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Butcher isn't my favorite but it is a risky/weird song outside of their comfort zone/formula.

I definitely get too excited about weird time signatures, but they also help keep me engaged, so I'm going to stick with it.

I also rarely pay too much attention to lyrics so I never really factor them in.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    2 weeks before the new album drops and we are discussing the merits of a 10 year old song from 3 albums ago?