Page 76 of 101 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 78 86 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,280 of 3008

Thread: Deftones

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Butcher just seems like a breather track for me. I never skip it but I'm not sure how much I pay attention when it's on either.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    2 weeks before the new album drops and we are discussing the merits of a 10 year old song from 3 albums ago?
    They aren't giving us anything to work with! It like one song and some art

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Butcher is a very sexy song.
    CMND.CTRL is a great throwback to their early sound.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I personally think 'Ohms' is a good deftones song. To me it sounds like their older work, which doesn't make a track good or bad but is a nice extra.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    @eversonpoe Time sigs alone dont make a good song. Sure they can help but the song never did anything to me. Lyrically, im pretty sure its just another song about sex. As with the other Sextones songs, with one exception, that doesn't really interest me being that I am Aromantic Asexual. Musically the verse and pre chorus are just the same 2 notes being spammed over and over again and that's not fun, thats not creative, thats just boring, personally . I'll give you that Chino's vocals in the pre chorus are pretty good though. I always did love how he belts out the chorus but that's probably the only thing i really like about the song. I still love Diamond Eyes as an album a lot and Sextape, ironically enough, is my fave Deftones song of all time, now THAT is a beautiful and gorgeous song
    All of this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    @eversonpoe Time sigs alone dont make a good song.
    that's very true! (see ted nugent's cat scratch fever for an example)

however, odd time signatures tend to prevent songs from being boring, and that was the part i took issue with more than anything. i feel like the song is incredibly dynamic both in that respect and in its actual volume dynamics & mood, so calling it boring seems very strange to me.

but again, not gonna shit on anyone for their opinion. totally understand what you mean about the verse, though i love it.

i also have no idea what pretty much any deftones song is about, lyrically. chino tends to write pretty cryptically.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Apparently the new single leaked, but I can't find it

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dam, listening to Ohms again; it really fits right in there as a solid Deftones sounding track. I keep forgetting this album comes out in a few weeks.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    Apparently the new single leaked, but I can't find it
    Ooooo

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    That uproxx interview is great. I like to see him finally admitting self titled has great shit on there. And read between the lines. He also basically confirms Eros is dead and buried and will never see the light of day

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Some interesting takeaways from the Uproxx interview. Very little is said about Gore or Ohms, except for Gore he admits they were all a bit directionless (even if that album is great) and Ohms finds them crackling with renewed energy. I definitely think people are going to respond much better to this new record than they did Gore..

It amazes me to hear him dumb down KNY as a reprise of Diamond Eyes. Those two albums sound like they come from completely different headspaces. Diamond Eyes is loaded with greatness but feels like an attempt by the band to recenter themselves after the turmoil of SNW and then Chi's accident. It doesn't have the experimental qualities that SNW or S/T or WP have. It sounds like a beefed-up version of Adrenaline and ATF with better songs and a more timeless sound..

By contrast, KNY sounds futuristic as fuck and is arguably their strongest album to date. Front to back, that album dazzles at every turn, often multiple times within any one song. There is nothing on any of their albums as original as Entombed, Rosemary, Goon Squad, Tempest, or WHTY? There isn't one wasted moment on that entire album and nearly ten years later, it still sounds ahead of its time..

Also crazy -- but not surprising -- to hear him consider SNW as their most fractured album. He was there and he lived it, so obviously he is the expert on the matter. Yet I've always been amazed at how fluid and cohesive that album sounds when played as a whole, in regards to all the strife that surrounded its creation. It's easily their most atmospheric and most ominous, but it's not ugly and dark the way S/T is. SNW is more spooky and otherworldly in that sense. It's like their own take on Disintegration..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It's a cool, but not especially insightful interview.

I suppose my big takeaway is that he indicates that long gestation times for the band are generally an indication of turmoil, and that the best material comes from excited, quick creative periods. A little bit of perspective on the relationships within the band and how they've come together and apart over the years.

He didn't seem super thrilled about kny or white pony, which is interesting and even a little insight into the production of gore. Not sure if he deliberately brought that up because of the criticism around it or whatever.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Interesting how Chino goes through phases on which albums of theirs he doesn't like. 5 years ago he hated S/T and SNW...Now he seems to have warmed up to them, especially S/T...Gore and KNY are the albums he clearly has no use for these days, especially Gore. I could tell that was the case when they dropped Gore songs off the setlist 2 months into the tour. I think that album will be the one the entire band disavows and barely acknowledges from this point forward. You'll never hear any of those songs live again. Its basically the 'Exciter' in the Deftones canon. "It is what it is".....Pretty damning statement about your own album.....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Re: the uproxx interview. Wonder which songs in S/T are not comfortable for him to listen to. I'm thinking Death Blow, Battle-Axe, Anniversary of an Uninteresting Event (maybe?), Lucky You (maybe?). There are some songs in there that sound really "happy" or positive sounding, like Hexagram, Minerva, Bloody Cape, even Good Morning Beautiful, so I can't imagine he's referring to those.

As for SNW, he mentions that "At the very end, I picked the best of what I thought was there and built the record out of it, and just put lyrics over it in the last minute. The record really sounds like that to me when I listen to it.", I wonder what he means with "I PICKED", did he pick the songs that ended up in the album (from a larger batch of songs I assume), without input from the band? It doesn't make it sound like a band effort.

For KNW, I'm with @Prettybrokenspiral, arguably their strongest album and he didn't sound as excited as he was for DE (granted, in my opinion he didn't diss KNY, he just said it was a companion album to DE, he even mentioned that they were all "pretty proud about KNY". But yeah, that's a damning statement about Nick Raskulinecz, that he wasn't around much for KNY (and even then it was a really strong album). I think we have to thank Nick Raskulinecz quite a bit for the return to form that was DE and KNY, but come on man, you dropped Deftones for Rush and Alice and Chains?

And Gore...I think the lack of a real producer/guidance hurt them. No offence to Matt Hyde intended! But yes, he doesn't sound super proud of that record. Interesting to read that he really missed Stephen's input on Gore (and implies that the album would had been better off with him involved), when at the time the whole media blitz painted a different picture, a conflict between Chino and Stephen.

Ohms: good to see him not defining the album as his "heaviest" album, that's such a cliche for hard rock/metal bands to say. Excellent to read that "all members were firing on all cylinders" for it. Quite excited about this album!

I found this on Reddit, adds to the discussion "Nick’s a notorious “schedule” guy, which probably was for the best when they started their second act with Diamond Eyes. You start at the scheduled time, every day, no excuses. Personally I credit him a lot for how “focused” and cohesive DE and KNY are as albums."
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-12-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I get what he is saying about KNY sounding like Diamond Eyes.....

Goon Squad is basically CMND/CTRL 2.0

Leathers is basically Rocket Skates 2.0

Entombed is basically Sex Tape 2.0

Rosemary is basically 976 Evil 2.0

Gauze is basically Royal 2.0

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    What? Going Squad is nothing like cmndctrl. I think I disagree with all those comparisons. At the same time I definitely think many Deftones songs are comparable to each other

As I mentioned earlier I always saw diamond eyes as self-titled lite. But I think that's just observing some of the general formula within the band.

Like royal is a lot like pins & needles is a lot like poltergeist they're brief groovy, catchy songs.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Yea, you're smoking crack, Bill. KNY sounds nothing like DE. I think Chino is smoking crack too, trying to downplay KNY like it's not their artistic masterpiece. The band has never sounded more focused or on the same page as they do on that record..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    To be fair Chino could actually be smoking crack

I definitely agree it's their most focused cohesive album. Also got a ton of attention from a lot of outlets and other bands.

But I can relate to Chino's wavering. Probably any album in the catalogue has been my favorite and least favorite at some time or another
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 09-12-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    new interview

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Yea, you're smoking crack, Bill. KNY sounds nothing like DE. I think Chino is smoking crack too, trying to downplay KNY like it's not their artistic masterpiece. The band has never sounded more focused or on the same page as they do on that record..
    I agree! KNY sounds exactly like the album art looks, just a brilliantly spacey, dreamy, and at times, beautiful record with that signature heaviness mixed in. I'd say in terms of the Sergio era of the band it's their creative peak. DE and Gore are just as awesome, but KNY just has this cohesiveness in its sound, and the way the tracklisting flows is perfect. Swerve City and What Happened to You? are fantastic bookends, then you've got really underrated stuff like Graphic Nature and Goon Squad. But who knows, Ohms might be better!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Anyone else get an e-mail with a QR code that takes you to a 404 page?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yes, click on "click here if you think you've reached this page in error" and it will take you to a preview of Genesis. This is the link: https://www.deftones.com/reborn

Here's said preview:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Yes, click on "click here if you think you've reached this page in error" and it will take you to a preview of Genesis. This is the link: https://www.deftones.com/reborn

Here's said preview:

Oh, nice! Thanks!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I'm already more into this than the first single lol

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Butcher's probably my favorite thing on Diamond Eyes, which - and I'll probably get crapped on for this - was one of the last Deftones works with bits that really jumped out at me.

I don't straight up dislike it or anything after it (save Gore), but I've long felt they leaned a little hard into grandiose metalgazey balladry afterward and things started to blend together a bit. I really want something to break into my skull and send shivers up my spine the way that, say, Needles and Pins or Rx Queen did.

Edit: Beating the dead horse of course, but fuck I wanna hear Eros one of these days....
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 09-16-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Last week I listened to Koi No Yokan for the first time since it came out. I didn't much care for it in 2012 because it reminded me of SNW. I was very pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoy it now. Excellent album, up there with their best work.
    Most of their work is up there with their best work

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Yum.

Just waiting for the boom.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 09-16-2020 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The single is in the wild at the old royal domain of drips.

Excellent song, this album is gonna be brilliant.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Genesis is a mixture of White Pony and Self/Titled for me right now and I'm loving it. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's pretty dam good.