Thread: Deftones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Gore instantly went into my top three after I gave it all my attention with headphones last year. Production drama aside, it is a beautiful album for me. I loved KNY when I first heard it, but the more I listened to it, the more evident it became to me that it becomes a bit boring at times. Same thing happened to me with Diamond Eyes unfortunately.
    I would have to agree with this. Gore went up with repeated listens whilst Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan moved down the more I listened to them. They're not bad albums, just not as strong all the way through.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I would have to agree with this. Gore went up with repeated listens whilst Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan moved down the more I listened to them. They're not bad albums, just not as strong all the way through.
    You two insane? KNY and DE are for me Top 1 and 2 Deftones, ALMOST perfect albums. There's no perfect Deftones album for me (as in, there's always a song or two that I tend to skip with any of their albums), with KNY I tend to skip Graphic Nature and Gauze, they are NOT supper skippable though, they are good songs, but not as perfect as the rest of the album. With Diamond Eyes I skip Risk and This Place is Death (kind of a shame that they finished such a perfect album with a low point, Deftones albums usually finish on a high note, see MX, Pink Maggit, RIVIERE, What Happened to You?,Rubicon).

As for Gore, like @acrid avid jam shred mentioned, it's good but it lacks major album highlights. Or rather, it does have quite a few showstoppers (Prayers/Triangles, Acid Hologram, Doomed User, Hearts/Wires, (L)MIRL, Gore, Phantom Bride, Rubicon) but they are not as strong as the album highlights in KNY or DE. Fuckin' Rosemary I've heard it so many times and never tire of it (same case with Prayers/Triangles, though, perfect single for me).

As for SNW, it is good, towards the bottom of my Deftones list, but it still has Hole in the Earth (I don't how people feel about this one, it seems like not much people love it, but I do, perfect single), Cherry Waves, XERCES, Pink Cellphone (I'm in the group that likes it!), Kimdracula, RIVIERE. Fuck, I wish they would play Riviere live more often.

Everything I wrote, of course, is just my opinion I like it how people have such a diverse view on Deftones records, for me it's a sign of an excellent band.
    Last edited by cahernandez; 05-08-2020 at 07:22 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    You two insane? KNY and DE are for me Top 1 and 2 Deftones, ALMOST perfect albums. There's no perfect Deftones album for me (as in, there's always a song or two that I tend to skip with any of their albums), with KNY I tend to skip Graphic Nature and Gauze, they are NOT supper skippable though, they are good songs, but not as perfect as the rest of the album. With Diamond Eyes I skip Risk and This Place is Death (kind of a shame that they finished such a perfect album with a low point, Deftones albums usually finish on a high note, see MX, Pink Maggit, RIVIERE, What Happened to You?,Rubicon).

As for Gore, like @acrid avid jam shred mentioned, it's good but it lacks major album highlights. Or rather, it does have quite a few showstoppers (Prayers/Triangles, Acid Hologram, Doomed User, Hearts/Wires, (L)MIRL, Gore, Phantom Bride, Rubicon) but they are not as strong as the album highlights in KNY or DE. Fuckin' Rosemary I've heard it so many times and never tire of it (same case with Prayers/Triangles, though, perfect single for me).

As for SNW, it is good, towards the bottom of my Deftones list, but it still has Hole in the Earth (I don't how people feel about this one, it seems like not much people love it, but I do, perfect single), Cherry Waves, XERCES, Pink Cellphone (I'm in the group that likes it!), Kimdracula, RIVIERE. Fuck, I wish they would play Riviere live more often.

Everything I wrote, of course, is just my opinion I like it how people have such a diverse view on Deftones records, for me it's a sign of an excellent band.

White Pony and Self Titled are my 1 and 2. I find Gore works great as a complete piece from front to back whereas Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan may have some stronger tracks, but there are moments in those albums that are not so strong and loses me. I much rather listen to an album that I can listen to from start to finish, which is why I love Gore. I put it on and it takes me away. I'm not a select track(s) or edited playlist kind of guy. I prefer albums that can hold me from beginning to end over an album with just some tracks I like. Again, Deftones have never really made a bad album, but I found Gore as a whole more enjoyable than DE or KNY as a whole, even if they do have some stronger tracks here and there. I find Gore to be quite powerful and emotional.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    White Pony and Self Titled are my 1 and 2. I find Gore works great as a complete piece from front to back whereas Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan may have some stronger tracks, but there are moments in those albums that are not so strong and loses me. I much rather listen to an album that I can listen to from start to finish, which is why I love Gore. I put it on and it takes me away. I'm not a select track(s) or edited playlist kind of guy. I prefer albums that can hold me from beginning to end over an album with just some tracks I like. Again, Deftones have never really made a bad album, but I found Gore as a whole more enjoyable than DE or KNY as a whole, even if they do have some stronger tracks here and there. I find Gore to be quite powerful and emotional.
    This is best way I could describe it for Gore. Self-titled and SNW are my 1&2, but for Gore, I have a little bit of a ritual when I prepare to listen to it.

KNY and DE have those BIG moments like Rosemary, Tempest, Royal, Risk, and Beauty School, but the tracks I do not like I realllly do not like. Gore, the tracks I don't care for still stay in the flow that album gives me.