Page 142 of 216 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142 143 144 152 192 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 6457

Thread: Random NIN Questions

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    I can tell you "The Great Below" is from the Cow Palace date. You could definitely pinpoint each song. But I ain't about that life doing that.

dammit... Now this may be a weekend project.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    The amount of content on both releases is roughly the same.
    BYIT has main concert feature, plus extra camera angle for three songs, plus five songs from summer tour, three rehearsal vids, two music videos. And interactive halography with samples.
    AATCHB has main concert feature, extra camera angle for four songs, three-and-a-half bonus songs and three short teasers. Menu also probably weighs a little more than BYIT since it has more animations and music.
    It's not about the amount of content per se, it's about limited bandwidth for the DVD-Video standard (ie, there's a limit there on the amount of data that can be streamed off of the disc at one time by a format-compliant player). As explained, they were not able to compress the video much without adding unpleasant artifacts, so they split the main feature over two discs. The audio bitrate was an issue as well; if I recall correctly, the version of And All That Could Have Been with DTS 5.1 audio (instead of Dolby Digital 5.1) had no multiple angle feature, it just had those four songs from a single angle as a separate mini-feature on their own. There just wasn't the capability to compress that much video in a single stream AND kick up the 5.1 bitrate to DTS 768kbps from the Dolby 5.1's 448 kbps.

If you want to watch the whole concert feature uninterrupted, there was a VHS release on a single tape, with no bonus features...
    Last edited by botley; 03-02-2016 at 03:28 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    What do you suppose was written/recorded first? TDTWWA quiet or the album version?

I'm thinking the quiet version. It is very piano dominant and we know that Trent spent all that time up in Big Sur with only a piano. The other thing I was thinking is that Alan Moulder (i believe) said that they spent a lot of time making things less obvious and more artsty and abstract which supports my feeling here.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    What do you suppose was written/recorded first? TDTWWA quiet or the album version?

I'm thinking the quiet version. It is very piano dominant and we know that Trent spent all that time up in Big Sur with only a piano. The other thing I was thinking is that Alan Moulder (i believe) said that they spent a lot of time making things less obvious and more artsty and abstract which supports my feeling here.
    They also re-recorded the vocal for the album version after the release of the single (which was only two months prior), so either the loud single version came first and had to be revised to bring it in line with later recordings, or it was a later edition still in progress and they were working on it up to the last minute. Rob Sheridan's NIN.com journals support the former hypothesis ("Somewhat Damaged" also had to be revised late in the game for similar reasons), but who knows for sure? The live versions incorporated elements of both, up until 2014 when they went back to playing the abrupt ending. I'm not sure there is a definitive answer, the recording sessions went on so long and went through so many iterations. My gut says it was probably first recorded as a hybrid like the live versions, and then split into the two 'takes' once it got too long like "La Mer"/"Into the Void".
    Last edited by botley; 03-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    They also re-recorded the vocal for the album version after the release of the single (which was only two months prior), so either the loud single version came first and had to be revised to bring it in line with later recordings, or it was a later edition still in progress and they were working on it up to the last minute. Rob Sheridan's NIN.com journals support the former hypothesis ("Somewhat Damaged" also had to be revised late in the game for similar reasons), but who knows for sure? The live versions incorporated elements of both, up until 2014 when they went back to playing the abrupt ending. I'm not sure there is a definitive answer, the recording sessions went on so long and went through so many iterations. My gut says it was probably first recorded as a hybrid like the live versions, and then split into the two 'takes' once it got too long like "La Mer"/"Into the Void".
    i don't think i ever noticed there was a difference between the version on the single and the version on the album.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't think i ever noticed there was a difference between the version on the single and the version on the album.
    Not only is that version different, there are two different versions of "Starfuckers" on Halo 13, one of which is only on the cassingle.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Not only is that version different, there are two different versions of "Starfuckers" on Halo 13, one of which is only on the cassingle.
    Wait, so the CD single is basically the album version with a live sample from KISS' 'Shout It Loud' at the end. How does the cassingle version differ from that? Is it just the album version?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    No. The CD single also ends with a bit of "Complication" during the fade out, the cassingle does not. Instead, the crowd starts to chant "Nine Inch Nails!" like in the DVD menus for And All That Could Have Been (I shit you not, ripped this cassette myself last week).
    Last edited by botley; 03-06-2016 at 06:43 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I have absolutely no idea of where to find the source for this but I have a recollection that TDTWWA came about because they got a fender guitar and TR told Alan Moulder he wanted to do one of the MBV-style walls of sound. doesn't mean they couldn't have grabbed the vocal melody from an original piano version, though

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    No. The CD single also ends with a bit of "Complication" during the fade out, the cassingle does not. Instead, the crowd starts to chant "Nine Inch Nails!" like in the DVD menus for And All That Could Have Been (I shit you not, ripped this cassette myself last week).
    And it's a legit release?

That's insane.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    And it's a legit release?

That's insane.
    Yep! Here it is on Discogs. Bought it sealed a couple of years ago (with a lot of other cool NIN tapes, thanks @jessamineny!) and finally got around to opening it up/scanning/transferring to digital. There was an mp3 rip floating around back in the day but I really wanted to make a clean FLAC transfer with an old prosumer 4-track deck that I recently picked up. Are there any other cassette-exclusive NIN mixes besides "Please +appendage"?
    Last edited by botley; 03-06-2016 at 01:18 PM.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the live performance of "March of the Pigs" from the official video was only released as a cassingle b-side, fwiw.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I believe the live performance of "March of the Pigs" from the official video was only released as a cassingle b-side, fwiw.
    Right, but that has also subsequently come out on the Downward Spiral DualDisc.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Not sure if this would be best asked here or in the tattoo thread, but I'm already here so...

I want to get a Fragile-ear tattoo at some point. My initial idea was playing with the flower from the shirt based off the album art (because the single flower would obviously work better than the cropped field of flowers) maybe in a watercolor kind of style. But there's a good chance it would look more like a blob of orange and green than anything, especially over time.
    Then I was looking at all of the promo art, and everything is very soft focus for the era, which don't get me wrong that's part of why I love the art for that album, and macro photography is my passion.
    A NIN friend of mine suggested maybe something from the TDTWWA album artwork. But I feel like over time, even that would look like a blob, just black this time.

Does anyone have any good ideas for what might work (and last a little while) as a Fragile-era tattoo?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    Not sure if this would be best asked here or in the tattoo thread, but I'm already here so...

I want to get a Fragile-ear tattoo at some point. My initial idea was playing with the flower from the shirt based off the album art (because the single flower would obviously work better than the cropped field of flowers) maybe in a watercolor kind of style. But there's a good chance it would look more like a blob of orange and green than anything, especially over time.
    Then I was looking at all of the promo art, and everything is very soft focus for the era, which don't get me wrong that's part of why I love the art for that album, and macro photography is my passion.
    A NIN friend of mine suggested maybe something from the TDTWWA album artwork. But I feel like over time, even that would look like a blob, just black this time.

Does anyone have any good ideas for what might work (and last a little while) as a Fragile-era tattoo?
    Could always go for the hipster option and some unused art

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I agree, soft focus is likely to lead to a horrible tattoo. I seem to recall some pieces from the era that were very sharp images, but I can't seem to find any of them on a cursory internet search.

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Just the cut-off logo from the cover maybe? Or the three Fragility 2.0 Jumbotron screens perhaps

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post

get Starfuckers tattooed on your ass and get a giant star tattooed around your asshole @tony.parente @Wolfkiller amirite?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    How did I get dragged into this? @Ryan
    Browse the shirt art maybe or use something obscure like from the message boards? Didn't they have 4 colors that eventually took over the text?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    ...finally got around to opening it up/scanning/transferring to digital. There was an mp3 rip floating around back in the day but I really wanted to make a clean FLAC transfer with an old prosumer 4-track deck that I recently picked up...
    Would you mind sharing the rip with a fellow Canadian?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    What I wouldn't give to share it — WHAT indeed.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    WHAT's up?

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    WHAT's up?
    Yes, it is! For now.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    No account here, though. I'm not a native speaker, so I've never put much faith into passing those interviews.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hey guys, what do you think about future musicians going "eh" on stage before new segments while performing? Above in the video are some examples of the use of "eh" and I also took a snapshot of some goof's post on gearslutz wondering whether or not he could get away with doing the "eh" when he becomes a famous musician. >>>

Okay... So it was me the whole time : }
    Last edited by Copy_of_an_Echo; 03-14-2016 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    ...did you mean "Hey!" because, you know, he's definitely going "Hey!"

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    ...pig. Yeah you. Eh, pig? Piggy pig pig-pig.

Eh, the sooner we realize, we cover ourselves with lies.

Eh, can we stop?

My world is getting smaller every day, eh, eh, eh, eh.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    ...pig. Yeah you. Eh, pig? Piggy pig pig-pig.

Eh, the sooner we realize, we cover ourselves with lies.

Eh, can we stop?

My world is getting smaller every day, eh, eh, eh, eh.
    If Tront was Canadian

Mentioned
    255 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    If Tront was Canadian
    That is exactly how we all talk. In fact, I distinctly remember TR making fun of the Canadian tic after "March of the Pigs" at the first Canadian show in 2000.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tront Reznir and the NINS