Thread: Random NIN Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    From a fidelity standpoint, considering the Downward Spiral was recorded entirely in the digital domain, what benefits would a vinyl copy have versus the SACD stereo remaster?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    From a fidelity standpoint, considering the Downward Spiral was recorded entirely in the digital domain, what benefits would a vinyl copy have versus the SACD stereo remaster?
    None. But if you want original master (which many people prefer) (I'm not one of them), then you'd have to go original vinyl.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    None. But if you want original master (which many people prefer) (I'm not one of them), then you'd have to go original vinyl.
    except the track splits on the vinyl are messed up, because it wasn't overseen by trent (or, apparently, anyone who knew what they were doing). i don't even know if it was properly mastered for vinyl...but i hope so.

i'm gonna have to agree that the SACD would be the way to go.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    except the track splits on the vinyl are messed up, because it wasn't overseen by trent (or, apparently, anyone who knew what they were doing). i don't even know if it was properly mastered for vinyl...but i hope so.

i'm gonna have to agree that the SACD would be the way to go.
    indeed, it's not even worth listening to a vinyl copy at this point, imo.

also, if we're making the fidelity argument against vinyl for a digital recording, don't bother with the SACD either — it was recorded at 24bit/44.1kHz, so you're not getting any benefits from that being rescanned into 1bit/2.8MHz SACD anyway. even the DVD-A is buffed up to 48kHz.

(same story with the TGWTDT soundtrack — it was recorded in 24/48 but the hi-res files are at 24/96 because they were mastered that high. sometimes it makes a difference... for TDS, i'm not sure if the higher mastering fidelity would have done much. it's more about the quality of the mastering than the delivery method in its case.)