Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Only three episodes in.. so far the only one I've not enjoyed so much is the Lindsey one.. otherwise I've been loving it!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tobias: best episode so far, sad he doesn't have as many "Tobiasisms" as before though.
    George Sr 2: A bit all over the place, but an improvement over the first one.

This Gob episode is quite good so far, but I've more or less just started it and it has Ann Veal so I'm happy.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

I had to pause because of my laughter at this.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not really feeling this either. It's kind of weird too because every episode gives me the feeling that I've seen it before. I guess that must be because they're referencing all kinds of things that I only vaguely remember? I actually had to stop it to check if I had clicked on an old episode by mistake (although, if I had it would probably be funnier).
    Last edited by Magtig; 05-26-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Re: Arrested Development

I'm enjoying it.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The first episode was shit but it got progressively better after that. Lindsay no1, Tobias no1, and Lucille are my favourite ones so far.

Michael Bluth is a dick.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The prpblem so far is that the structure fundamentally undermines ADs style of humor. Typically we see interceptig storylines/sublots/motivations/ miscommunications all at once. This creates the double en tendres, puns and wackiness that we as the audience understand because weve been let in on each aspect of it. By isolating characters and making each episode concurrent, this only happns in a broader sense and theyre left to other devices of humor that arent as clever.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Well, I can't get Netflix in Germany. I got the Netflix website to believe I'm an American, but I still don't have an american credit card which is needed even for the trial month... And apparently torrents are coming in very slowly. I only got to watch the first episode in a noisy environment so far... Anyway, it wasn't as bad as I feared by the comments here... In fact, I thought it was rather bold. After all, Michael's triumph came when he got to dominate his family in the old series (that's why his smartphone is stuck in 2003 - it's HIS development that is arrested now.) For him, it could only get worse. And that's what we see. I think it's a pity the show wasn't on during the housing collapse (The old show was also a comment on the US society of the Bush years, so the housing collapse would have been right up their alley), and at least they show the consequences now. Perversely, I enjoyed that. The older actors take time getting used to, and I thought the humor was rather Coen-esque. There's a big difference in tone.
    Oh, something else: Though some coincidence (a Huffington Post story) I thought about the TV show "Lost" again. Michael is just like Jack.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Arrested Development

I may say more about this, but after finishing the season earlier today (watching again now), I loved it. It wasn't all perfect, some story lines definitely better than others, I think it was Arrested Development all the way and I really hope to see another season.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The prpblem so far is that the structure fundamentally undermines ADs style of humor. Typically we see interceptig storylines/sublots/motivations/ miscommunications all at once. This creates the double en tendres, puns and wackiness that we as the audience understand because weve been let in on each aspect of it. By isolating characters and making each episode concurrent, this only happns in a broader sense and theyre left to other devices of humor that arent as clever.
    Bingo. That was exactly what I was afraid of as soon as they'd announced that every episode would focus on one character. As soon as they did that, the show completely changed. It doesn't feel like AD at all. And, three episodes in, I'm really starting to get more and more bummed out.

I will say this- the last half of the Lindsay episode it started to feel a little more like "Arrested," finally. And it started to approach decent. I'm really hoping it picks up after this.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I only have 5 episodes left but the first GOB episode was absolutely incredible. I was in tears for like half of it. Structure feels different, but I mean after like 7 years of course it'll feel different. In real life, things would feel different after such a long period of change. I've had a few minor complaints with it, but for the most part the new season has been really fun. And the fact that we even get a new season at all is good enough for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The thing about the new story format is that you're spending 30 minutes with this one character that was only meant to be taken in small doses. In the previous seasons, these volatile characters were presented to interact with each other, and their everyday dalliances were only meant to be smaller pieces of the whole story puzzle.

Now you're choking on a whole lotta Tobias or whoever else for 30 minutes and sometimes it's just too much (or at least - it was for me).

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    "choking on a whole lotta Tobias", heh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Over all I really liked it. I agree that having each character focused in a separate episode was the biggest down fall. That is particularly true because there are several story lines going on at one time. I thought the buster episode was the worst one and buster in general seemed more ridiculous and he had almost no lines in any other episode (real lines, not weird noises). Micheal seems like a far more horrible person then before. Allot of what he does seems like the sort of things Gob would do (especially at the end). But overall I thought it was good. I was not as optimistic as some about bringing the show back but they did a good job. I hope they get the kinks out next season and the episodes become more about the family then the individuals. Also some of the story lines were kind of depressing, I am not shore if others felt the same way.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here's a reference that I never would have gotten. This show.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Arrested Development

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Bwahahah! Seriously? Fuck I love this show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    I wonder if the rewatch value of this new season is as high as the older ones. There are probably tons of hidden jokes, running gags and connections that will only be revealed after repeated viewings. In the first episode, there's this story about the Altitude/Attitude magazine, and the stories on the Attitude magazine cover deal with George Michael and Boy George (after they finally addressed George Michael's name!). Also, there's a mention of Tony Wonder, GOB's rival played by Ben Stiller, and his "secret". That, of course, is a reference to the gay rumors surrounding magician David Copperfield.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you read that article, there's another guy mentioned named "Perfecto Tilles" - which is the name of Maebe's high school boyfriend.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i don't think she's actually had plastic surgery (the comment above yours is a joke in reference to the show) and why would ellen, of all people, "make" her do it?

i think she's just making a weird face and her eyebrows are plucked way more than they used to be.
    Are you still convinced she didnt have plastic surgery after watching her episode?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Are you still convinced she didnt have plastic surgery after watching her episode?
    haven't had a chance to watch any of them, yet. having a four day celebratory weekend (my fiancee proposed to me on sunday making our engagement double-official and today is our two year anniversary) but we're probably going to curl up and watch some tonight.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    The show makes reference to Lindsay having had surgery. Maybe it's part of the make-up?

Isla Fisher is the worst thing in this season. I like her in general, but that accent makes me want to punch her in the face. It's a shame she's in so much of it. She sounds like one of those Americans that's obsessed with England/has lived here for so long they're anglicised.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)

Arrested Development

Don't you mean anglicized?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I loved it

It didn't feel like classic Arrested Development for me until the Gob episode when we got some great back and forth from Gob and Michael. Different feel for the show for sure, but still fucking hilarious. A lot of good running gags I wish we would have gotten more of. I was hoping the finale would have been a "Bluths" episode but it wasn't. The writing was brilliant, almost too brilliant, I found the timeline tricky to follow sometimes. Everything leads up to May 5th and the entire season spanned 4 years is the idea I got.

I also feel like a lot of things got set up and were left unresolved. Like the election or the Wall. I mean Lindsay running against Sally Sitwell was a clear cut setup.
    I'm pretty sure this was a one off season, but I'd love to see another one or at least a movie.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It did pick up pretty heavily after the first Gob episode. At that point, the audience is informed enough for the formula to work again. Also Gob is one of the few characters capable of carrying an entire episode by himself. Unlike Lindsey for instance...

I did get the impression that they intend to follow up. It doesn't seem like they can simply tie everything up with one movie.... but didn't I hear that this was the last one they intend to do?

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    They've talked about potentially doing a couple more seasons.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I really enjoyed the season overall. I'm on a second watch through now and I'm already noticing small things I missed before. The season definitely starts out slow, but it does pick up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I also forgot to mention that I thought Kristen Wig played an EXCELLENT Lucille. Her impression was spot on. Seth Rogen did an excellent Seth Rogen impression for George Sr.

EDIT

I'm also 99% sure that Zack Galafanakis is sitting next to Lindsey on the plane to India...
    Last edited by Broadbent; 05-29-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I thought her impression was decent too. A little exaggerated but she got the expressions pretty good. I could have done without Rogen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I the more I read about it the more I realize that there are tons of jokes I missed. I have to watch it again now.