Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Linkin Park

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Linkin Park is one of my favorite bands, so this news guts me. Their new album was my least favorite of thiers, but the song One More Light holds a deeper meaning now. A lot of the lyrics on that album are darker because of this day.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Let's not romanticize suicide while we are at it.... the downvotes on Maximilian's post are equally disgusting as the message as the facepalmers thought he had conveyed. Just because I am with you guys on that I think suicide can be understandable in certain cases, it is never a brave thing to do (well, the action itself maybe, but let's not go in that direction) and it is totally understandable if someone is actually "mad" at him or anyone else doing so.

All in all, I completely believe that Chester was haunted and depressed to the point he believed he does a favor to everyone else if he does this. But I am not applauding his actions, and I believe that there could have been another way. We will never know, but no need to leash out onto anyone who doesn't frame his as a saint.

I read many comments talking about his children and I have to agree with it. He got ruined as a child, and now he bestows similar trauma to them. You can bet your ass that some of those children will eventually ask themselves: "did he do it because of me? did i not love dad good enough?" and there will be silence as an answer.

Such an act is not black and white, so stop acting like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, I sure as hell wasn't expecting Chester to commit suicide, let alone a week before he was due to go back on tour and just two months after his last album. The reaction to OML couldn't have been the main motive, as Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns had their fair share of hate (and even Meteora was viewed as nothing more than a carbon copy of Hybrid Theory) and not to mention Chester being such a dick about people not being on board with the new direction. This feels very out-of-nowhere to me, though it's possible that more details may emerge in the near future that might make sense of what just happened.

Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    I've suffered from crippling depression my entire life and tried to kill myself multiple times. so I've most definitely been there. And yes, it is a selfish act, but it seems like the only way out at the time.

This is fucking heartbreaking. I was never a huge fan and LP damn sure wasnt part of my childhood because im like four years younger than Chester, but i liked a lot of their tunes and I hate to see this shit happen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rest in Peace Chester, I wasn't the biggest Linkin fan but enjoyed their music.
    I'm still getting over the whole Chris Cornell death still and dealing with a few of my own problems but this is just sad.
    Both so young with so much to offer.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Dam...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Until I really dove into Nine Inch Nails in 2007-08 this was my favorite band and they are still a close number two to this day. To have followed this band for 17 years and have so many memories connected to these songs and Chester's voice made this hit really hard. Chester's death is the only celebrity death that has impacted me this hard and one of only a couple to impact me at all really. It feels like a big part of my life just died even though I never met the man.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I feel the worst for the children, in this case. Must be devastating and I can't even imagine it.

I enjoyed LP's first few albums when I was a wee lad, and they did a lot to get me on the path to heavier and better stuff.

R.I.P.
    Last edited by Mr. Blaileen; 07-22-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not an LP fan,i was heavily into the fragile when their debut came out so it felt "kids music" to me but i know their songs.

I'm a huge soundgarden fan,chris' death really affected me.knowing that chester chose chris' birhtday to take his life is making me really sad,i can't stop thinking about it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    For LP fans--what would you consider to be their best three albums? Which is their worst?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    For LP fans--what would you consider to be their best three albums? Which is their worst?
    I probably fall into the minority here but I liked The Hunting Party, A Thousand Suns and Minutes to Midnight the most. I like their first two albums but not as much as everyone else seems to. I can take or leave Living Things but One More Light just didn't do anything for me at all.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I really liked the first two- Hybrid Theory, and Meteora.

Worst is definitely the last one- One More Light.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Saying Hybrid Theory+Meteora is a cliché, but it is true: those are their best. You can paint OML as an epic say goodbye record in hindsight, you can call Minutes To Midnight as mature as you want, you can praise Thousand Suns for being a fun concept record; HT and Meteora has hands down the best collection of songs that LP can produce, while later records only have a few gems.

The third pick is a really hard one, but probably Thousand Suns. It has some vintage "fuck this, we are linkin park, we are going to do this our way" stuff on the record, while the other albums are all generic. The Hunting Party and Living Things are generic good, so don't get me wrong, but it is just not exciting. There are better pop rock than LT and there are better alt. metal records than THP. But HT and Meteora are one of a kind, while A Thousand Suns is at the very least interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The best for me are A Thousand Suns, Minutes to Midnight and Hybrid Theory.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    A Thousand Suns is their best, Minutes to Midnight is close behind that, then The Hunting Party. There are some great bangers on that one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Meteora > The Hunting Party > Hybrid Theory > A Thousand Suns > Minutes To Midnight > Living Things > One More Light

Yes, I just ranked two albums above Hybrid Theory, with one of them being a newer one!

I don't really get why Meteora is dismissed as simply "Hybrid Theory Part 2" and more marketing strategy than album. Hybrid is a rawer, more straight forward Nu Metal album, while Meteora is a more refined Alternative Metal album that happens to continue using the rap verse / sing chorus structure. It's a bit more electronic and slightly less dependant on rapping. It's funny how Meteora got flak for sounding too much like Hybrid Theory, but yet every single album afterwards is hated for not sounding enough like Hybrid Theory. Some people might as well admit that they think LP should have just broken up after Hybrid Theory since it's apparently impossible to top without being hit with "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" if they dared continue in the style or try anything different.

And I am aware that I almost sound like I'm making a U-turn after my post about the band acting like people only hate OML for not sounding like Hybrid Theory. It's still their worst album ever, with many songs sounding only nominally like LP even by MTM or ATS standards. I still want to believe that LP fan reaction to OML is more varied than blind LP worshippers and nostalgia fans coming out of the woodwork to complain about their childhood being raped by a full pop album after remembering how amazing their lives were when HT came out.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Minutes to Midnight is tacky as fuck and that's why I like it the most.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Their best three albums for me would have to be Hybrid Theory, Reanimation, and Meteora. The most cohesive collection of songs from the band in my opinion. After MTM, they started to stray away from the sound they were best known for and I actually really enjoyed MTM and liked the direction they were going in here. It reminds me of when Slipknot released "The Subliminal Verses" and it was a huge turning point in their sound and direction and some loved it, some hated it... and that is how I see MTM, just not as much as a departure that Slipknot had done. There are some real stinkers on there, and I wish they would have went more in the direction of what "In Pieces" sounded like. ATS is pretty good, but it falls into the realm of MTM where there are some good songs, and some instant skippers. The Hunting Party was a delight to listen to and JUST misses this top three list for me. Fuck I love that album. Meteora I would say is the band at their best and firing on all cylinders and Living Things is just forgettable as hell.

If I did all of the albums, it would go:

Hybrid Theory
    Reanimation (I consider this an album because it's fucking awesome)
    Meteora
    The Hunting Party
    A Thousand Suns
    Minutes To Midnight
    Living Things
    One More Light

Edit: After listening to A Thousand Suns like I am right now, I realized how much I liked this album. Oops.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-22-2017 at 04:59 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Chester really must have been crawling in his skin.

R.I.P.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone. Just finished listening to OML and thought it was decent. I get why some fans weren't into it though.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I posted this on Instagram but I'll put it here too with the caption below:

All I ever managed to get from Linkin Park before I drifted from them. Always wanted physical copies of A Thousand Suns, Living Things and The Hunting Party, just never got around to it. There was also a Breaking the Habit dvd and there was Frat Party at the Pancake Festival that I was interested in. Never did come across those. Maybe I'll get to add to the collection sometime.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    This just came up as one of those 'sponsored post' ads on my Facebook. Talk about bad taste.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    This just came up as one of those 'sponsored post' ads on my Facebook. Talk about bad taste.

Talk about how "Paint a Vulgar Picture" never seems to become obsolete. Jeez.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For me their three best albums are A Thousand Suns, The Hunting Party, and Hybrid Theory. Their worst was probably Living Things. Honestly though I like all of them and listen to them regularly although I haven't been able to listen to Chester's voice without breaking down since the news.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I want to take a moment now...i really want to get this off my chest...

Im still seeing people around calling cowardness and selfishness...well I don't think you know what a severely depressed person like me thinks about.

So let me be a tour guide...in the mind of a severely depressed person

WARNING IT GETS VERY DARK AND VERY FUCKED UP

Everyday....I have horrible thoughts....thoughts about the many ways i can hurt myself, how i can hurt other people, kill them, torture them...do unspeakable things to them regardless of their age. I do this to everyone i meet

I think about all the different ways i can ruin somebody's life with just a few words...mentally scar them with the most hateful amount of anger one could ever imagine.

This happens to me every day, 24/7.....when Im medicated. Yes when IM ON IT

My mind is a dark place...all the ways i can fuck up someones life...all the ways i can end my life, even tried it a few times and im lucky i survived....

Because my brain is constantly telling me that ending my life will stop all this pain and suffering in my head....every day.

But I learned to control that darkness...i have taken control of what is actually the real solution....to live the rest of my life.

Instead of doing the things i think about, i use it as inspiration, a bit toned down, but still just as dark.

However everyone else is not me and they Arnt not as lucky or fortunate.

The next time you call someone a coward for ending their life, ark your self.

Are you strong enough to put up with this, for the rest of your life?

Were you able to save yourself from suicide?

Are you able to do it 5 times like i did?

Please know that all of us do care, but you have to understand that Chester didn't want this to happem, his depression did

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    I don't really get why Meteora is dismissed as simply "Hybrid Theory Part 2" and more marketing strategy than album.
    I agree, Meteora is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I want to take a moment now...i really want to get this off my chest...

Im still seeing people around calling cowardness and selfishness...well I don't think you know what a severely depressed person like me thinks about.

So let me be a tour guide...in the mind of a severely depressed person

WARNING IT GETS VERY DARK AND VERY FUCKED UP

Everyday....I have horrible thoughts....thoughts about the many ways i can hurt myself, how i can hurt other people, kill them, torture them...do unspeakable things to them regardless of their age. I do this to everyone i meet

I think about all the different ways i can ruin somebody's life with just a few words...mentally scar them with the most hateful amount of anger one could ever imagine.

My mind is a dark place...all the ways i can fuck up someones life...all the ways i can end my life, even tried it a few times and im lucky i survived....

Because my brain is constantly telling me that ending my life will stop all this pain and suffering in my head....every day.

But I learned to control that darkness...i have taken control of what is actually the real solution....to live the rest of my life.

Instead of doing the things i think about, i use it as inspiration, a bit toned down, but still just as dark.

However everyone else is not me and they Arnt not as lucky or fortunate.

The next time you call someone a coward for ending their life, ark your self.

Are you strong enough to put up with this, for the rest of your life?

Were you able to save yourself from suicide?

Are you able to do it 5 times like i did?

Please know that all of us do care, but you have to understand that Chester didn't want this to happem, his depression did
    This is one side of the coin. And whether you admit it or not, a selfish side.

I never had the same relationship with my mother after her suicide attempt, back when I was still in primary school. We used to play a lot, I kept repeating I loved her and she is the best mom in the world (some sentences I could physically not ever say again), and just the day before yesterday she told me that it was even me who ran out to the kitchen for her to tell her that she HAS TO come and see this music in the TV, because "it has screaming in it, but not that kind of screaming and you will like it!". SHe did like it, btw, though later she had no choice, because HT and then Meteora all day, every day babyyyy.

But stuff like that changes everything. First of all, she screwed herself even deeper, because not only she couldn't leave this world, but she also alienated the one person who actually loved her. How she did not try to attempt it again is beyond me, but I remember, that many weekends in the morning, when she was doing the dishes and plates were clattering, I always wondered if they were just indeed the plates or if she did something to herself again. I never went out from my room to check on her; if I heard sounds after that, then good, if not... well, then this is it - I thought. And this was in high-school and even after that.

To this day, though I live on my own, I basically accepted that there is a chance that whenever I will visit her (as I do it regularly, she lives close, plus I have all my stuff at her) she might be dead. I played that scenario a million times where I call the ambulance to a successfull suicide attempt, so I'm not even sure if I'd be fazed by it.

It would not be fair to blame all my problems - none of which are serious medical conditions (yet?), just some self-esteem issues and whatnot, so I guess I'm lucky? - on that day, but it most certainly sucked and EVERYTHING was super fucking awkward after it. I loathed visiting her at the medical ward, or the forced eating togethers. Hah, I still remember when all I wanted to do is eat my damn meal, and she felt the need to tell me that she is sorry and she won't do it again. I just wanted to throw the plate and yell "shut the fuck up" at her; "no one asked".

Bottom line is, if you have a family, a BIG family even, then you deserve some blame. You can leave behind friends, as you don't owe them anything, you are not co-dependant. They will be mad at you, somewhat rightfully so, because they would've been there to support you and cater for your needs, but you chose the rope instead. But you can't do it with your kids and not even with your wife. Imagine when his kids grow older and read back all the "<3<3<3Chester!!!!!!!" stuff being posted after his death, while no one give a damn about them. Their dad, who just offed himself is almost treated as a hero, and they can't even comment "well, it was selfish...." because they would get eaten alive, and strangers would explain to them why their dad had to absolutely kill himself.

Then again, maybe 16 years from now, before I step onto the stool, I will finally understand that even leaving behind a family is justifiable, and they are better off not having me at all, making them wonder why I did this, than give them a few bad days a month, when I am just insufferable to deal with. Right now, I just don't see it, and I am calling it what I think it was: a tragic but selfish act.
    Last edited by Volband; 07-23-2017 at 05:51 AM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Sure, I'll just tell my brain that. It'll make everything better

Except Thats not how a mental illness works.
    You think i want this? You think anyone wants this? No one want this.

It might be cheesy to say "you won't know how it feels until you do" but it means something.

You aren't gaining anything by saying that is selfish and i won't admit it, you're just losing my respect

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    This is one side of the coin. And whether you admit it or not, a selfish side.
    Did you even read the post? From what I gathered, the suicidal thoughts were coming because they were afraid of the harm they would do to OTHER people. Not "oh boo hoo I'm sad I don't wanna be here anymore". They wanted to die so that OTHER people wouldn't get hurt. That is literally the exact fucking opposite of being selfish.

I get why some people - especially those who have lost friends / family to suicide - can view it as selfish. You're left behind with all this grief and a hole in your life while the victim has ended things. You're the one who has to deal with this new reality. You're the one who has to plan funerals and memorials and come to terms with someone you love being gone. So you feel like the person who left you was selfish to do so. I understand that.

But guess what - it's not selfishness that motivates suicide. It's not someone going "fuck these people, I don't care about them". It's an act of desperation so utterly severe that even those who have attempted it and survived can struggle to put it into words that others will be able to comprehend.

In Chester's case, it sucks for his family. It sucks hard. But goddamn dude, how much harder did it have to suck for the guy who loved those people and still decided that the only way out was killing himself and leaving them behind?

"Imagine when his kids grow older and read back all the "<3<3<3Chester!!!!!!!" stuff being posted after his death, while no one give a damn about them. "

Are you thick? Chester wrote and recorded songs purchased by tens of millions of people. His kids are private citizens with their own damn lives and don't live in the spotlight. Of course the bulk of the support is going to be directed towards Chester. HE was the one people connected to, not his kids. But it's not like they're being ignored. Read threads all over in the internet and you'll see "thoughts and prayers for his family" written thousands of times. People know the family has a difficult road ahead, and they're acknowledging it. You're just ignoring it so you can pretend to be outraged about this "selfish" act.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Sure, I'll just tell my brain that. It'll make everything better

Except Thats not how a mental illness works.
    You think i want this? You think anyone wants this? No one want this.

It might be cheesy to say "you won't know how it feels until you do" but it means something.

You aren't gaining anything by saying that is selfish and i won't admit it, you're just losing my respect
    See, here's the point: I am not catering for anyone's respect. You are the victim AND you want to be a victim, which is a delicate situation. I feel sorry for the things that make you the real victim, but I won't pretend that you (or anyone with depression) don't inflate your own misery. I either lie to make you feel better, or tell you how it is (suicide = selfish) and then you are hurt, because you think I am just dismissing all your problems.

Sorry dude, I grew up with someone who was always the victim and everyone was against her - in her mind. I can't feel pity for you getting worked up over the harsh truth. Sure, maybe I could be more delicate, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Did you even read the post? From what I gathered, the suicidal thoughts were coming because they were afraid of the harm they would do to OTHER people. Not "oh boo hoo I'm sad I don't wanna be here anymore". They wanted to die so that OTHER people wouldn't get hurt. That is literally the exact fucking opposite of being selfish.

I get why some people - especially those who have lost friends / family to suicide - can view it as selfish. You're left behind with all this grief and a hole in your life while the victim has ended things. You're the one who has to deal with this new reality. You're the one who has to plan funerals and memorials and come to terms with someone you love being gone. So you feel like the person who left you was selfish to do so. I understand that.

But guess what - it's not selfishness that motivates suicide. It's not someone going "fuck these people, I don't care about them". It's an act of desperation so utterly severe that even those who have attempted it and survived can struggle to put it into words that others will be able to comprehend.

In Chester's case, it sucks for his family. It sucks hard. But goddamn dude, how much harder did it have to suck for the guy who loved those people and still decided that the only way out was killing himself and leaving them behind?

"Imagine when his kids grow older and read back all the "<3<3<3Chester!!!!!!!" stuff being posted after his death, while no one give a damn about them. "

Are you thick? Chester wrote and recorded songs purchased by tens of millions of people. His kids are private citizens with their own damn lives and don't live in the spotlight. Of course the bulk of the support is going to be directed towards Chester. HE was the one people connected to, not his kids. But it's not like they're being ignored. Read threads all over in the internet and you'll see "thoughts and prayers for his family" written thousands of times. People know the family has a difficult road ahead, and they're acknowledging it. You're just ignoring it so you can pretend to be outraged about this "selfish" act.
    All right dude. I'm gonna get myself a loving wife, 4 kids, then I off myself. I write a suicide note too: "good luck lmao". Sounds selfless as fuck!

Seriously, what the hell is this suicide culture?!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Sure, maybe I could be more delicate, I don't know.
    Maybe you can develop some empathy before you post next.

Seriously, what the hell is this suicide culture?!
    "Sucide culture", lol.