Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    New site just went up as kind of a weird close-up reveal of the masks. Uses your webcam to put the masks on you. Right now they've just got Craig and Mick with another unlocking each day. It's prompting me to use Google Chrome in Safari, not sure if it works with Firefox or IE.

http://www.thedevilini.com/#masks

They also apparently have an "interactive" version of the Devil In I video exclusive to Xbox One .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The video is great. That said, I feel the masks this time around are a little lackluster. I get that the band's appearance is a gimmick and the music is what matters, but I remember how fucking awesome their designs were for All Hope Is Gone, although my favorites are during The Subliminal Verses era. These ones aren't really that great. Sid looks awesome and creepy as hell. Corey's is different. I both like and dislike his mask, as much sense as that makes, lol. Mick, Jim, and Craig's haven't changed at all. Clown's is more in line with his first mask circa '99 and '00. I swear, Chris Fehn must have at least fifty different variations of his mask. I like the designs for the new band members and I'm happy they were shown in the video. For a moment I was worried they were once again going to be shoved behind the scenes and not allowed an make an appearance. I like the overall theme of rebirth and moving on. This is an effective visual statement from a band who has been through a lot over the last four years finally choosing to accept failure and heartbreak and moving on.
    Last edited by mrselfdestruct94; 09-14-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Corey's last mask was so much better IMO. I wish he would've kept it and just slightly altered it like most of the other guys did.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Speaking to Metal Hammer for the magazine's October 2014 issue, Corey Taylor stated about Joey Jordison's departure from Slipknot:

"I can't talk too much about it because we're going through the legalities of everything right now and settling everything, but it's when a relationship hits that T-section and one person's going one way and you're going the other. And try as you might to either get them to go your way or try and go their way, at some point you've got to go in the direction that works for you. This is me speaking in the broadest terms, with respect to Joey. I guess to sum it up, it was one of the hardest decisions we ever made."

He continued: "We're all happy right now and we hope that he is. I've known him since '91, and that was before we were in bands together, and he's incredibly talented; he's just in a place in his life, right now, that's not where we are... in the nicest terms."

Asked to address rumors that Joey's dismissal from Slipknot was drug related, Corey replied: "There's only so far that I can give an explanation. For me, that has to be a sign of growing up, because before I would've just railed at whatever I thought the supposed evil was, but now it's like, how do you explain to the fans? And that's the hardest part, because no matter what explanation you give, it's not gonna make them happy. I'm sure there are fans out there who have their own theories about it…"

According to Corey, he no longer has a relationship with Jordison. "I haven't talked to Joey in a while, to be honest," he told the magazine. "That's how different we are. It's not because I don't love him and I don't miss him. And it is painful; we talk about him all the time, but at the same time, do we miss him or do we miss the old him? That's what it really comes down to. It's just a fucking shame."

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yup, drugs.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Really? Weird. This is the first I'm hearing about this. Is the dude just hitting the ol' meth pipe or what?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm gonna put this here... I don't like how she put him on blast though. Grow the fuck up.
    http://www.kerrang.com/22914/slipkno...tity-revealed/

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    There's been bad blood between Jay and Laura for years now - I remember the band tweeting a picture of a drum machine after he left.

If Jay said or did something shitty when Laura came out as trans, then that's entirely on his ass, not hers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    He didn't say anything negative that I know of. He left the band and wished them well. Then the band tweeted back the drum machine pic. So if he said something negative, it's probably not known publicly.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yeah. It would be a shame if something did happen, though, which it seems like it did.

In any case, I think they should just go ahead and reveal both of them officially already, unless they've got some sort of extravagant unmasking (heh) plan or whatever. That video october_midnight linked to was pretty cool.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I kinda liked not knowing who either of them are, Slipknot has always been the 9, and having both those guys in now is good but to me they will never be full time members of Slipknot, the band takes so long in-between releases that by the time the next album is out it could be anyone on bass or drums. They should have kept Donnie given that he was an original member of the band, I'll never get my head around why they replaced him.

Laura Jane Grace has let the cat out of the bag though, I think she should have kept quiet - no matter what went on between Jay and Her/Against Me. I liked the mystery of not knowing.

What gets me is that I haven't actively listened to Slipknot for about 5 years, since I was 18. Yet each time they have a new album campaign it just draws me back in and I have to check out what they are coming out with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Laura Jane Grace clearly has no filter.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Laura Jane Grace clearly has no filter.
    She's fucking awesome though, and honestly, she wouldn't be the same person if she DID have a filter. I still stand by my statement that Against Me! is far and away the best and the most Punk bank on the scene, and her inability to filter shit just makes that band even more punk in my eyes. I saw them at a tiny hole in the wall last year and some dude in the front row right in front of her was filming the whole show and the way she put him on blast was amazing. I have such a massive crush on her.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    She's fucking awesome though, and honestly, she wouldn't be the same person if she DID have a filter. I still stand by my statement that Against Me! is far and away the best and the most Punk bank on the scene, and her inability to filter shit just makes that band even more punk in my eyes. I saw them at a tiny hole in the wall last year and some dude in the front row right in front of her was filming the whole show and the way she put him on blast was amazing. I have such a massive crush on her.
    I disagree completely. I think she's become an insufferable piece of shit along the lines of Morrissey. She just seems to have a chip on her shoulder and just lambasts people for stupid shit, perfect example was the whole Arcade Fire hullabaloo about Andrew Garfield. She and the band are no more punk than say Titus Andronicus who are lead by an equally insufferable human being, frankly, I think they're overrated and find their music to be monotonous and middle of the road Warped Tour punk that I would've been into in middle school.

Whatever happened between her and Jay was probably petty and we'll probably never know the full extent, but the cool thing to do would've been to take the high road. Joe Strummer to me is the epitome of punk and by all accounts, he was a sweetheart. You don't need to be miserable and super outspoken to be "punk".

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The Arcade Fire shit was dumb for sure, but I still dig her. And as far as I'm concerned, her transition was punk as hell. Titus Andronicus however are suuuuper boring.

Morissey is just a cunt and The Smiths fucking suck.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    yeah the smiths are weird... IMO they're not terrible, but morrissey is a whinging twat! and I don't mean the shit he chats in the press. Seriously listen to that let me get what I want song and tell me that is not a massive wanker writing those lyrics. ohhh god knowwwws it'd beee the firstt time. mate ...shut up

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Are you really making fun of Morrissey's lyrics in a Slipknot thread?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Back on track guys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    One month until The Grey Chapter comes out. I'm very excited for it and can't wait to hear the CD. Hopefully we'll get another song to tide us over until then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    A new song leaked. "XIX" the first song off the new album. It sounds fucking amazing I can't wait until the full album inevitably leaks within the next few days. http://www.reddit.com/r/Slipknot/com...d3/xix_leaked/

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Weird, I'm happy because it actually sounds like a slipknot track to me but the lyrics are sophomoric and cringeworthy almost. We'll see!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Weird, I'm happy because it actually sounds like a slipknot track to me but the lyrics are sophomoric and cringeworthy almost. We'll see!
    I totally agree. I'm nervously excited about this album. I feel odd listening to older Slipknot because it just reminds me of high school, and all the other "nü-metal"-oriented bands I listened to that just make me cringe now. Even Iowa, which was my favorite Slipknot album for a long time, is starting to lose its value to me. However, this new album keeps reeling me in. I REALLY like "The Devil in I," and "The Negative One" is okay for what it is, but then this comes along and throws me off again. The music is fantastic, and a fitting set up for the album, but Corey's lyrics definitely could have been better; I suspect he wanted to just be straight to the point with these, so I won't knock him TOO much. I almost pre-ordered the album on vinyl, but I'm worried I'll only like a couple of songs. I'll wait and see next month.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Stumbled across a pretty poorly written article on Germany's equivalent to "the Sun" and apparently they have heard the new record already. I have no clue if this is legit as it really is journalism in it's poorest form but it mentions some points that have my hopes up while I don't really feel XIX as an intro. Here's what they have to say in short form and translated on the fly:

A song like "Sarcastrophe" may probably not have been expected by many critics and fans alike.

"Goodbye" ties with many emotions - supported by the farewell of their late bassist Paul Gray in 2010.

Cluster" (with the fattest Drums of Slipknot-story).

Also "Lech" (the pen is shaking on the table) and "Killpop" (Queen's "We Will Rock You" waves hello) make you lust for more.

After 65 minutes and the final "If Rain Is What You Want" (no power ballad from Bryan Adams but a wild roller coaster ride through the height and depth of feeling within Slipknot's cosmos) the conclusion is: FAT!

Slipknot after the death of their friend Paul Gray († 2010) and the departure of drummer Joey Jordison (39) lost none of their big balls. On the contrary - so brutal no one would have expected the masked men to sound in 2014.

So, the album is quite long and "cluster" has good drumming? The article likes to mention that its a very heavy record. While "the devil in I" has grown on me I'm totally in for a record that sounds more like "the negative one" all the way.

On a side note, I've just recently dived back into the first record and Iowa and good god, I feel very mixed about this band. On the one hand I think Corey Taylor will always remain one of the if not THE best singer in contemporary heavy music on the other hand I feel awkward about the topics and general feel of the music. I totally get what @Triggermine is on about. I guess you have to take this band with a grain of salt in some ways and just enjoy it for the fun of it, the heavy aspects and the general weirdness of the first two records.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Slipknot/com...ning_sessions/ Here's a better analysis of all the songs. Also pieces of the songs Killpop, Sarcastophe, and AOV have leaked on soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/mason-guevara/slipknot-snippets I don't know why but this is the most hype I've had for a record for a long time. I didn't even start listening to Slipknot until like a month ago.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Serious question- do they have a new drummer or not?...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Their new drummer is Jay Weinberg. The band hasn't officially confirmed it yet but if you just look around a bit you can find a bunch of evidence to back it up. There's also a new bass player which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airbornefeline View Post
    Their new drummer is Jay Weinberg. The band hasn't officially confirmed it yet but if you just look around a bit you can find a bunch of evidence to back it up. There's also a new bass player which I can't remember off the top of my head.
    Is Jay Weinberg the son of... Max Weinberg of the E Street Band?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Yes. He's a very good drummer. Listening to bootlegs of shows where he filled in for his father were incredible.