Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 24 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1304

Thread: Slipknot

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Why the fuck was Corey Taylor involved in this godawful album and its accompanying video?

Last edited by katara; 01-27-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Kinda have a different opinion about that Nero Forte live performance. Tortilla man is not nearly as ranchy as Corey, and Corey is just abyssmal, almost sings in a talking voice, compared to the very high notes of the record. I'd rather them have the high notes be sampled, and Corey doing the other part of the chorus. It's a major downgrade compared to the album version. Except for Jay, I like his drumming.
    100% agree. It would absolutely sound better that way. Especially since the version on the album clearly has treated vocals. Corey has excellent range when his voice isn’t shot but there just no way he sang that exactly how it sounds in the studio version.

Just have Craig play that back live and let Corey do the growling in between. As it is now it’s sounds pretty lame live.

And I also agree about Jay. He is a better drummer than Joey, not as flashy but just fundamentally a better drummer and they’re a tighter band musically with him. Frankly, if it wasn’t for him, I might not even still be interested in Slipknot.

Not trying to shit on Joey either, he’s an excellent drummer. I think Jay just has a slightly better sense of timing, rhythm, and what a song needs, whereas Joey seemed to be a bit more interested in playing as fast as he could at times.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Why the fuck was Corey Taylor involved in this godawful album and its accompanying video?

I think one of his kids was a really big fan of the Nostalgia Critic (back when it was good anyway) and he featured a few times for them because of it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I think one of his kids was a really big fan of the Nostalgia Critic (back when it was good anyway) and he featured a few times for them because of it.
    That makes sense. It's just strange to see him debasing himself in this way. I hope he at least got paid handsomely for his time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post

And I also agree about Jay. He is a better drummer than Joey, not as flashy but just fundamentally a better drummer and they’re a tighter band musically with him. Frankly, if it wasn’t for him, I might not even still be interested in Slipknot.

Not trying to shit on Joey either, he’s an excellent drummer. I think Jay just has a slightly better sense of timing, rhythm, and what a song needs, whereas Joey seemed to be a bit more interested in playing as fast as he could at times.
    This I 100% agree with, at first I was on the fence about Jay, he doesn't have the speed Joey has, but he is a better drummer overall. His percussion on this new record is a big reason I have gotten back into the band after the IMO boring Grey Chapter (I think they had him on a leash when they recorded it) and slightly uninspired All Hope Is Gone.

Anyways, bought tickets for Rock USA today so I'll be seeing them for the 2nd time this album cycle July 18th (6th overall)!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw them in London at the O2 on Saturday night. The place was completely sold out and that is no exaggeration which is some feat for music of this nature. They completely blew the roof of the place to boot and it was incredibly intense from start to finish. Highlights for me were pretty much the whole show but Unsainted is a fab opener and I love Birth of the Cruel. Vermillion is probably my favorite Knot song so was great to hear that live and when Wait and Bleed/Eyeless were played the place went completely nuts. Oh and during Surfacing I felt something hit my feet and looked down to see one of Tortilla Man's sticks laying there which just rounded off the night a treat. An incredible live experience.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfilian View Post
    Saw them in London at the O2 on Saturday night. The place was completely sold out and that is no exaggeration which is some feat for music of this nature. They completely blew the roof of the place to boot and it was incredibly intense from start to finish. Highlights for me were pretty much the whole show but Unsainted is a fab opener and I love Birth of the Cruel. Vermillion is probably my favorite Knot song so was great to hear that live and when Wait and Bleed/Eyeless were played the place went completely nuts. Oh and during Surfacing I felt something hit my feet and looked down to see one of Tortilla Man's sticks laying there which just rounded off the night a treat. An incredible live experience.
    Jealous. That show sold out so fast. Glad you had a great time.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The company i work for owns a box at the O2 and i was hoping we'd get offered tickets (they do this all the time for events they don't take clients to, which is pretty regular) they didn't end up opening the box as they didn't think anyone in the company/clients would want to go

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    The company i work for owns a box at the O2 and i was hoping we'd get offered tickets (they do this all the time for events they don't take clients to, which is pretty regular) they didn't end up opening the box as they didn't think anyone in the company/clients would want to go
    Damn that sucks. My friends wife can occasionally get us access to the box her employer owns at our events center and it's great time, makes you feel like a Roman emperor, above all the plebs with general admission or packed into the public seats lol

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Damn that sucks. My friends wife can occasionally get us access to the box her employer owns at our events center and it's great time, makes you feel like a Roman emperor, above all the plebs with general admission or packed into the public seats lol
    It is quite fun skipping the que to enter the VIP section. We've used it a few times for O2 shows (Linkin Park, Childish Gambino, BMTH, Enter Shikari) but it does have it's down sides (It's SILLY expensive up there, and we only get tickets if the box is opened and no clients want to go, which usually rules out most of the mainstream shows) Annoying thing is i'm sure at least 30 people (size of the box) at our company would have snapped up those Slipknot tickets if we were offered! They did when NIN played there

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    That makes sense. It's just strange to see him debasing himself in this way. I hope he at least got paid handsomely for his time.
    Thing is with YouTube/Twitch these days is a LOT of younger fans love it, so seeing their idols on the platform is a big deal for the younger fanbase, more so then seeing them on TV. And there are plenty of channels that can do it well (Game grumps do a good job with their format, as do Funhaus) but it's always a MASSIVE gamble, and can look very bad to older fans when the above happens.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    They were great, but they massive gaps they took every two or three songs were such a mood killer.
    I know there's a lot of exertion with this music, and they are old men now, but it sucked the momentum out of it for me.

I agree about Nero Forte. The new guy sounded great, but what Corey is doing doesn't cover the fact he can't sing that part. It was a shame because he sounded great to me otherwise.

The new guy is by far putting the most work in. He was all over the stage, and actually playing. Sid was moving about a lot but seemed to be doing close to nothing!

I've been a fan since about 2001 and never seen them, so it was real fun and had a great time, just those gaps were a killer!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Saw them yesterday and I'm still all bruised up! What a fantastic show! For some reason (failure by the security stuff, I guess...) we ended up front of stage with regular tickets and dare I say that I haven't been so close at such a show ever before. The heat, the loudness, Corey in your face, magical!

The setlist of course is killer and runs very smoothly, but I have to agree with @ManOfAtom that the gaps were somewhat unneccessary. Only downsides? Well, I really don't like V-Mans stage presence and I still prefer Chris over Tortilla Man, but I got used to him and now he doesn't bother me. And yes, I too would prefer "Neo Forte" to include a sample and have Corey take on the growling parts. On the other hand I could watch Jim, Jay and Sid all day performing, great guys, high energy levels right there!

Behemoth which I have seen before as a headliner also fit very well into the scene and played a nice set, straight and to the point. I consider them as a true gift to old school metal fans in the audience to be on the bill with Slipknot.

Out of the three shows I have seen Slipknot perform (2009, 2016 and now 2020), this was the best one, setlist, Corey's voice and overall flow are hard to surpass.
    Last edited by dlb; 02-09-2020 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Anyone have any advice on how to save this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000f6p7

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    How many songs are there? Can't play it here from Germany, but you might want to check out Youtube if it's just two songs and get it from there:

Or try this:

Side note: Having seen it live and upfront and in those videos, Corey seems to really have grown into that mask. I like it much more right now, heck I even think it's his best since AHIG.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    @dlb the last one you posted is the whole performance, thanks.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I think Corey tweaked the mask a bit and it looks way better now.

This intimate live performance is so good. The band is on fire right now, so it's smart to capture it on camera for a few songs. I wonder when the last time they played a small venue was? I mean this is one is tiny tiny, but even just a smallish club/theatre performance probably hasn't happened in over a decade at least.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    I really love those Kerrang sessions and I always wished for Slipknot to make an appearance, guess this is the closest we will get.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Other than the stitches and other slight alterations, what does it for me usually is how he paints his face underneath (as it shows through). This here is hella dope, on some The Crow / jester type vibe. I even get a sort of No-Face from Spirited Away feel lol.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Agreeded, the face paint under the mask is badass.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I think Corey tweaked the mask a bit and it looks way better now.

This intimate live performance is so good. The band is on fire right now, so it's smart to capture it on camera for a few songs. I wonder when the last time they played a small venue was? I mean this is one is tiny tiny, but even just a smallish club/theatre performance probably hasn't happened in over a decade at least.
    They played a smaller venue in Berlin I think in 2011 on that first run they did after Paul died. I remember seeing some vids on youtube.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    They played a smaller venue in Berlin I think in 2011 on that first run they did after Paul died. I remember seeing some vids on youtube.
    right you are. Columbiahalle 6/21/11....capacity 3500. Very small for them.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    So, Slipknot cancelled their Asia tour because of coronavirus. I have a bad feeling that (over?)reaction to this virus is going to complicate things in the months ahead. I was hoping to score tickets to Knotfest in Mansfield MA on May 31, especially since Code Orange is on the ticket! But now I worry that events will start to get cancelled here in USA.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    So, Slipknot cancelled their Asia tour because of coronavirus. I have a bad feeling that (over?)reaction to this virus is going to complicate things in the months ahead. I was hoping to score tickets to Knotfest in Mansfield MA on May 31, especially since Code Orange is on the ticket! But now I worry that events will start to get cancelled here in USA.
    I honestly doubt shit will close as much as it probably should in the states. Especially with Trump's whole "IT'S TOTALLY FINE. SO CONTAINED. GO TO WORK IF YOU GET SICK." mentality will give places the wide go ahead to continue to try and squeeze as much commerce out of this ordeal as possible.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I honestly doubt shit will close as much as it probably should in the states. Especially with Trump's whole "IT'S TOTALLY FINE. SO CONTAINED. GO TO WORK IF YOU GET SICK." mentality will give places the wide go ahead to continue to try and squeeze as much commerce out of this ordeal as possible.
    I donno, we're already starting to see things get cancelled. Miami pulled the plug on some music festival happening soon and tons of artists are pulling out of events.
    Emerald city comicon refused to pull the plug on their Event next weekend in Seattle, but the list of artists and companies bailing on the event is growing more day by day.

https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/...Cancellations/

I'm expecting all the big spring festivals to cancel, Welcome to rockville, Epicentre, Sonic temple. I wouldn't be surprised if Rammstien get the plug pulled on their stadium tour in Europe too.
    France, Switzerland and other places over there have already banned events of 5,000 or more. I have never seen the world react to something like this before. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Zika. Those are all a pin drop in a bucket compared to this. I have never seen a new disease explode as much as this one has in my life time.

It's 2020 and the world doesn't know how to contain an infectious disease. It's like we're 1918 all over again. You figure with the advance in modern medicine they would have contained this by now. It's out of control and only going to get worse. Movies are being postponed , events are being cancelled. Prepare for a really boring ass year of hiding in your house counting the toilet paper rolls you stockpiled.
    Last edited by ManBurning; 03-05-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I feel like if Coachella gets canceled, then we can officially start getting worried about everything in America shutting down.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I donno, we're already starting to see things get cancelled. Miami pulled the plug on some music festival happening soon and tons of artists are pulling out of events.
    Emerald city comicon refused to pull the plug on their Event next weekend in Seattle, but the list of artists and companies bailing on the event is growing more day by day.

https://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/...Cancellations/

I'm expecting all the big spring festivals to cancel, Welcome to rockville, Epicentre, Sonic temple. I wouldn't be surprised if Rammstien get the plug pulled on their stadium tour in Europe too.
    France, Switzerland and other places over there have already banned events of 5,000 or more. I have never seen the world react to something like this before. Swine Flu, Bird Flu, SARS, Zika. Those are all a pin drop in a bucket compared to this. I have never seen a new disease explode as much as this one has in my life time.

It's 2020 and the world doesn't know how to contain an infectious disease. It's like we're 1918 all over again. You figure with the advance in modern medicine they would have contained this by now. It's out of control and only going to get worse. Movies are being postponed , events are being cancelled. Prepare for a really boring ass year of hiding in your house counting the toilet paper rolls you stockpiled.
    I get the sentiment, but travel is infinitely easier now than it was in 1918 which makes everything much harder to contain. Seems the best way to contain it is restricting movement.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I feel like if Coachella gets canceled, then we can officially start getting worried about everything in America shutting down.
    they cancelled SXSW so anything is possible at this point

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Are there any videos of Sid from the Vol 3 days where he would rip the death mask off of the skull?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Slipknot/co...m_source=share

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)