Page 111 of 191 FirstFirst ... 11 61 101 109 110 111 112 113 121 161 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,330 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I meant metal+hip-hop (or rap-metal) could rise again, not nu-metal, my bad. There are so many forms it could take beyond nu-metal which quickly became a very narrow genre. For starters we could have rap-metal minus the white male angst and self-pity that defined nu-metal from day one with Korn.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I meant metal+hip-hop (or rap-metal) could rise again, not nu-metal, my bad. There are so many forms it could take beyond nu-metal which quickly became a very narrow genre. For starters we could have rap-metal minus the white male angst and self-pity that defined nu-metal from day one with Korn.
    Okay, so we are talking something more Rage Against the Machine-esk? I can deal with that. Saul Williams sort of tested those waters with NiggyTardust. Also Street Sweeper Social Club gave rap-rock a go. They were both good efforts, but with mixed results. For my money, Rage Against the Machine is still the best at legitimately fusing rap and metal. I guess today I could see someone like Bizzy Bone teaming up with the likes of The Dillinger Escape Plan and maybe doing something cool? I don’t know.

All I ask for is no more Linkin Park please and thank you. A guy who scream-whines dueting with a guy who rap-whines (and piss poorly at that) to music that all sounds the same wasn’t good in 2000 and it isn’t good today.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I miss really good blues rock. Like when the Black Crowes didn't start sucking.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

All I ask for is no more Linkin Park please and thank you. A guy who scream-whines dueting with a guy who rap-whines (and piss poorly at that) to music that all sounds the same wasn’t good in 2000 and it isn’t good today.
    I'll stand up for Chester Bennington here. I was never a huge fan of Linkin Park and was not very enthusiastic when Chester replaced Weiland in STP, one of my favorite bands. That said, Chester really won me over. I saw STP twice with Chester in Boston and they were awesome--really, really good. I loved STP's High Rise EP w/Chester and am excited to hear new music from this lineup. I'm still not a huge Linkin Park fan, but I think that their more straight-forward, non-rap songs are pretty good. Always liked this one:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'll stand up for Chester Bennington here. I was never a huge fan of Linkin Park and was not very enthusiastic when Chester replaced Weiland in STP, one of my favorite bands. That said, Chester really won me over. I saw STP twice with Chester in Boston and they were awesome--really, really good. I loved STP's High Rise EP w/Chester and am excited to hear new music from this lineup.
    I’m not calling Chester Bennington a talentless hack. But make no mistake, I am saying that Mike Shinoda has no business rapping. And while Bennington may have a decent set of pipes, they are wasted on Linkin Park, something that should have been a passing phase that ended around 02-03.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Okay, so we are talking something more Rage Against the Machine-esk? I can deal with that. Saul Williams sort of tested those waters with NiggyTardust. Also Street Sweeper Social Club gave rap-rock a go. They were both good efforts, but with mixed results. For my money, Rage Against the Machine is still the best at legitimately fusing rap and metal. I guess today I could see someone like Bizzy Bone teaming up with the likes of The Dillinger Escape Plan and maybe doing something cool? I don’t know.

Something I really enjoyed and can still turn on from time to time- the Judgement Night soundtrack. Bunch of great rap-metal tunes on that and the rappers rapped, while the musicians made the music- for the most part.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I’m not calling Chester Bennington a talentless hack. But make no mistake, I am saying that Mike Shinoda has no business rapping. And while Bennington may have a decent set of pipes, they are wasted on Linkin Park, something that should have been a passing phase that ended around 02-03.
    I am kind of surprised that Linkin Park has been around as long as they have and remained popular. Whatever. Glad to see Chester in STP, not a huge Linkin Park fan, but Chester is a good fit with the DeLeo brothers, IMHO.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    have you heard sirens by dizzee rascal? that's what rap metal should have sounded like

grime metal could be cool... the bug did well combining the industrial sensibility with grime, given the relationship between the two it would be cool to see bug and justin broadrick do some metal stuff with london MCs

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here's what I want more of:

Metal bands writing pop songs again (like Metallica, Nirvana, Korn, Rammstein, Pantera, Kyuss, Sabbath, Zeppelin). I want metal to dare to appeal to the masses again. I want big production not lo-fi rumbling.

Metal + hip-hop: yes, it ended badly with nu-metal, but I think this genre could rise again; think of Kanye's creativity + metal riffs (he already has some metal riffs): hip-hop's rapping + sampling + metal + operatic grandiosity. Death Grips-style mania, but with metal. Shabazz Palaces trippy weirdness with space rock. Trip-hop doom metal. The possibilities are endless.

Metal + electronica: why does it have to end with NIN, Broadrick, and Rammstein? Let's hear some hulking beats meshed with massive riffs again; throw a big pop chorus on there and you're in business. Let's look beyond djent and dubstep as both are stuck in their ruts.

Groove: metal needs to "get its groove back," get funky again, stop trying to be this macho bullshit pose and bring sexy back. Jazz is fine: let's put down the avant-skronk for a minute, and go big band, Duke Ellington and Count Basie rather than Miles Davis and John Zorn.

Basically I'd like metal to start talking to the other genres again. Merely talking to itself has become totally boring.
    I'm totally with you on Metal and groove. Much like there are lots of Geeks who wouldn't allow me to call myself a Geek because I don't game, read or watch Manga/Anime and I haven't read every single comic ever printed, there are tons of Metal heads who would shit themselves over my audacity to call myself a Metal head because I'm actually not a fan of playing as fast and as loud as you can. I prefer my Metal (and most of the music I enjoy, for that matter) to groove. Yes, I dig Thrash bands like Megadeth and Metallica, but they still have a good groove most of the time.
    Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Rob Zombie, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Rammstein; those are all great bands that really know how to let a song breathe, even if it's an up-tempo number, and that's a *really* difficult thing to do. Hell, even Pantera, one of the fastest, most aggressive bands of the 90s cranked out some great grooves.

I like Slipknot, but I can only listen to them in relatively moderate bursts because after a while they start to sound like an angry swarm of Japanese Hornets. I've never been able to handle a lot of Slayer for the same reason, either. I still enjoy fast music, but I just can't handle it all the time; for me, it's gotta take you on a journey rather than just smash your face against a spiked wall and liquidate your respective naughty bits non-stop.

But to each their own; I know there are plenty of people who don't think that anything less than 8,000 BPM that doesn't have vocals that sound like Cookie Monster with laryngitis truly counts as Metal.

Oh, but remember what Wayne Campbell said about appealing to the masses... "Led Zeppelin didn't write songs that everybody liked, they left that to the Bee Gees."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Why did someone have to go and post this to their Facebook page? I wish I could unsee it. Sting performing for, not only the daily mail, but Piers Morgan - ugh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/cann...e-s-yacht.html

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Countryside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's what I want more of:

Metal bands writing pop songs again (like Metallica, Nirvana, Korn, Rammstein, Pantera, Kyuss, Sabbath, Zeppelin). I want metal to dare to appeal to the masses again. I want big production not lo-fi rumbling.

Metal + electronica: why does it have to end with NIN, Broadrick, and Rammstein? Let's hear some hulking beats meshed with massive riffs again; throw a big pop chorus on there and you're in business. Let's look beyond djent and dubstep as both are stuck in their ruts.
    Well, we've had an awesome band do both of those really well for their past two albums (With skramz and post-rock mixed in for good measure), and all metalheads seem to do is dismiss it as 'poser garbage'.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I've heard a lot of people in here say that they hate the Grateful Dead, but maybe if people checked out the live show they streamed yesterday they might change their minds. The second set was super psychedelic and awesome. It's hard to believe there's not something in there for everyone.
    I think that The Grateful Dead are one of those bands that you either get or you don't get. Personally, they've never done anything for me. I don't hate them though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Why did someone have to go and post this to their Facebook page? I wish I could unsee it. Sting performing for, not only the daily mail, but Piers Morgan - ugh

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/cann...e-s-yacht.html
    I'm digging the beard, tho'.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Listening to a Grateful Dead record is hard work, but sometimes it pays off, just when i think one of their records is too boring and im going to give up on it, along comes this mindblowing unreal beautiful Jerry Garcia guitar solo. So a lot of it is dull but they did have some really great moments.
    I only really like their late 1960s work. Before they went a bit country. Aoxomoxoa probs my favourite.
    Without Jerry its not the Grateful Dead. I dont like people calling this current tour a 'reunion tour'.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I think this Harry Styles fall is even better than The Edge's. Madonna's fall was a bit too scary to be that humurous

Last edited by WorzelG; 07-10-2015 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been re-visiting some stuff I haven't heard in a long time, and let me say this – "Scream" by Ozzy is a great album. I enjoyed Black Rain, too, but it kinda lost steam toward the end.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunstmord View Post
    I've been re-visiting some stuff I haven't heard in a long time, and let me say this – "Scream" by Ozzy is a great album. I enjoyed Black Rain, too, but it kinda lost steam toward the end.
    I have to revisit them. Generally, I'm not a huge fan of anything after No More Tears.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I can't get into "Scream" and "Black Rain" is so so (but mostly bad...), last great album was "Ozzmosis", "Down to earth" has it's moments but all went downhill from there...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Opeth suck ass. Boring, overly pretentious shit garbage.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Trip-hop doom metal.
    There's a My Dying Bride album from 1998 you should probably hear.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I dont like the newest mastodon album. I have loved every album by them and enjoyed hearing thier evolution, but 'once more round the sun' didnt do it for me. Seems like they took the worst moments off 'the hunter' (and there werent many), and made an album off of that. I only bring this up now because i just gave it another chance, and it didnt work....over to the mastodon thread....

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Is it too cruel to post this article about Billy Corgan looking glum at Disneyland? He still talks about classical music, honestly if he wants to score a film what's stopping him? I'm sure there are film directors out there who would want him
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ctures-2015247

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Sometime last year in this thread we were talking about Steve Vai and other guitarists of his era, and just the other day I put on his Visual Sound Theories DVD which has been collecting dust for awhile. I was inspired mostly because of the involvement of the Metropole Orkest, the symphony backing Snarky Puppy on their sublime Sylva disc from this year. Anyway, I put this on and what I found was that in this setting is where his music comes off the least pretentious. Mostly because he's not being backed by very technical rock musicians, but people with more of a traditional classical and jazz background. Also the strings and brass and other typical orchestral flourishes gave his playing a bit of class and epic scale his music can barely achieve (to my ears anyway) with the kinds of groups he normally plays with.

This performance just by itself, contains a lot of essential elements of what I love about music.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Is it too cruel to post this article about Billy Corgan looking glum at Disneyland? He still talks about classical music, honestly if he wants to score a film what's stopping him? I'm sure there are film directors out there who would want him
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...ctures-2015247
    I respect his career, but the guy has the head up his ass lately, he complains about everything and thinks he's some kind of eminence when it comes to music, i love albums like "Mellon Collie..." and "Siamese Dream" but i could care less about his current stuff...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I respect his career, but the guy has the head up his ass lately, he complains about everything and thinks he's some kind of eminence when it comes to music, i love albums like "Mellon Collie..." and "Siamese Dream" but i could care less about his current stuff...
    It's because he's become pompous to his own work. Fans and/or "fans" don't like his recent output as much and he throws a temper tantrum that it's OUR fault that we don't like it. In actuality his musicianship is still on point, his work is just a lot less more interesting than it used to be. It's became paint by numbers to me more than experimental. I loved Zeitgeist (still do so) and enjoy Oceania. Monuments to an Elegy (shit like Drum + Fife, fucking hate that song) as well as that travesty known as Teargarden By Kaleidyscope (Widow Wake My Mind is the shittiest song ever recorded under the SP moniker) turned out to be very mediocre compared to previous works. I enjoy the band and love the discography but I agree 100% with him having his ass swapped with his head as far as his attitude and behavior goes.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-26-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    It's because he's become pompous to his own work. Fans and/or "fans" don't like his recent output as much and he throws a temper tantrum that it's OUR fault that we don't like it. In actuality his musicianship is still on point, his work is just a lot less more interesting than it used to be. It's became paint by numbers to me more than experimental. I loved Zeitgeist (still do so) and enjoy Oceania. Monuments to an Elegy (shit like Drum + Fife, fucking hate that song) as well as that travesty known as Teargarden By Kaleidyscope (Widow Wake My Mind is the shittiest song ever recorded under the SP moniker) turned out to be very mediocre compared to previous works. I enjoy the band and love the discography but I agree 100% with him having his ass swapped with his head as far as his attitude and behavior goes.
    "Zeitgeitst" was ok, it has great songs like "Tarantula", but it has some filler (yet, "ok" filler).
    Oceania is not awesome but at least he was trying, sadly most of the album bores me.
    "Teagarden..." is a mixed bag, i LOVE some tracks and i DESPISE most of them, you can tell by this time that Corgan has already "lost it" and can't differentiate a good track from a B-Side, it's also a "solo" effort mostly, i don't even know why he still calls it "Smashing Pumpkins" at this point...
    But yeah his case it's both hilarious and sad, i read in the Manson thread that he's blocking people on twitter because they "dislike" their work, WTF?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    In my mind Siamese Dream towers above anything else he ever did by a mile...listen to a track like Geek U.S.A, how innovative, experimental, disjointed, mysterious and fucking weird it sounds, yet perfect at the same time.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    OK I just listened to Chris Cornell's song Scream and I really like it! It's compelled me to listen to it about 4 times this past hour. Not sure about the lyrics though, did his wife relegate him to the couch a few nights after reading that?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for that corgan disneyland thing. I really want to make a sitcom about him