Page 99 of 191 FirstFirst ... 49 89 97 98 99 100 101 109 149 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 5728

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    2014 was a significantly weaker year for music than the few years before it...2010 -2013 was a brilliant era for music. Last year it seemed a lot of the resurgent genres of the past 5 years, and sounds being produced from them were becoming somewhat tired. Is it just me who noticed this? just seemed like less vital releases.
    Its a big generalisation, but something i noticed.
    Still was a better year for music than most 00's. Maybe 2015 will be the beginning of a new era in music? Be cool if a new sound is galvanised upon or created or explored.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    gorillaz > blur

manics & pulp > oasis & blur

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    I love 60 seconds wipeout, but I find ATR to be wayyy more cheesy than KMFDM. KMFDM is tongue-in-cheek, ATR's revolutionary posturing is seriously cheesy to me. Sure, KMFDM have taken a few political stances, but along that they have that "we're just a fucking band" attitude that makes it redeemable to me.
    I prefer the self-awareness of KMFDM over ATR's anarchy for the masses, if we're talking about lyrics.
    The music, on the other hand, I have a hard time to compare, especially since both have released really lackluster albums lately, in my opinion.

And although I agree and find SP and coil vastly superior to all the other bands mentioned here, once again comparing something like Front 242 to coil seems really absurd... Like comparing Autechre to The Knife...
    Aye I'm not comparing them though, I'm saying they get listed alongside popular industrial bands such as those. I agree it's odd, they have next to nothing in common.

This kind of brings it onto the whole what does industrial actually mean... I mean what the fuck is the connection between filth pig, 20 jazz funk greats and pretty hate machine

I guess it's a vibe thing. Those examples are musically disparate but they do have a similar feel. I guess

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I've never cared for anything to do with Alec Empire or ATR.

I just don't get it: their music seems boring and annoying to me.
    I mean, if you take away the electronics it's generic forgettable punk.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    i fucking loathe modest mouse.
    something about their songs trip my psycho wire and make me feel intensely violent.
    hmmm.
    I like a majority of the songs on Good News for People Who Love Bad News, but I noticed one day that Issac's voice sometimes reminds me of Brak and have from then on laughed a little imagining Brak fronting the band.

Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    I prefer Alec's solo work to ATR. I've found ATR to be too chaotic for my tastes...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I mean what the fuck is the connection between filth pig, 20 jazz funk greats and pretty hate machine
    Absolutely nothing save for influence. Technically speaking, "Filth Pig" was industrial metal, "20 Jazz Funk Greats" was traditional industrial, and "Pretty Hate Machine" is more of a synthpop album.
    Last edited by wight rabbit; 02-04-2015 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

I suggest you try Alec's "The Golden Foretaste..." as it's quite different in that he's using a Gary Numan-esque pop approach for its songs.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    That one was very close to be Alec Empire's "The Idiot"... But I really can't stand Empire's declamatory style of singing.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    2014 was a significantly weaker year for music than the few years before it...2010 -2013 was a brilliant era for music. Last year it seemed a lot of the resurgent genres of the past 5 years, and sounds being produced from them were becoming somewhat tired. Is it just me who noticed this? just seemed like less vital releases.
    Its a big generalisation, but something i noticed.
    Still was a better year for music than most 00's. Maybe 2015 will be the beginning of a new era in music? Be cool if a new sound is galvanised upon or created or explored.
    I Disagree. Phantogram, Warpaint, Zola Jesus... there was a lot of great stuff in 14.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Warpaint are still excellent but they ditched the drum machine last time I saw them live... Bees sounds rubbish without that beat, I hope this isn't the beginning of the shark jump

Intelligence and Sacrifice is the best thing Alec Empire has ever done. "Everything starts with a fuck" is just bliss... boomboomboomboomboomboom...hnnn

lol..I guess so? If you take the guitarists out metallica it's just a danish guy drumming like mr burns

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Yeah but to me the electronics are just used for flavor: the song structures, or rather riffs, are generic punk.
    ATR acted like they invented a whole new genre - digital hardcore. But it was just rock'n'roll with a gabba backdrop.
    I don't like The Prodigy either, but at least they had some songs.

Also, his solo material I've heard is generic Stooges rock, again with an electro sheen.

The lyrics are sloganeering anti-system stock phrases.

Alec Empire is the definition of overrated (with cheekbones). But good at self-promotion, evidently.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Intelligence and Sacrifice is the best thing Alec Empire has ever done. "Everything starts with a fuck" is just bliss... boomboomboomboomboomboom...hnnn
    I do agree that I+S is the best thing I've heard from him. But I don't like it much either.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-04-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    If you take the electronics away from Aphex Twin, the music gets actually quite soothing !

But yeah @aggroculture , removing the electronics from ATR is a weird argument ; ATR's an electronic evolution of punk, obviously if you remove the evolution part, you end up with plain punk...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    yeah the lyrics are laaaame

"my own hand iz reaching out for ze blade" ...hahaha

but for me, I'd never really heard what is basically hardcore house with scratchy phoneline vocals over the top, and I love it. I have to say that from my perspective, the guitars (I think it's a pantera sample in everything starts with a fuck) are just there for flavour, you could take them out of the mix and it wouldn't lose much (also is it me or does new world order sample hollow by pantera). Agreed on his later stuff though, nothing he did grabs me like I&S

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I fucking can't stand The Flaming Lips. Everything about them makes me froth at the mouth. I watched a concert of them performing Dark Side Of The Moon, and it just kept going from bad to worse. It was a complete train wreck, and I couldn't look away. I still haven't forgiven myself for actually sitting through as much of it as I did. I'm sure they did it because they truly love the album and wanted to honor it the best way they know how, but based on what I was hearing there was no love, no honor, no inspiration, there was absolutely nothing at all. It sounded like their entire reasoning behind it was "hey, this is a weird album! We're a weird band, so let's do something weird with it!", and they failed in every way imaginable. The only redeemable thing the entire show had was a few dozen attractive brunettes dancing onstage in Dorothy Gale costumes... that was it, and that only goes so far when everything else is as bad as it was.

Everything I've seen and heard from them has made me want to throw my Kitchen Aid mixer at whatever apparatus their sound is currently emanating from. There's a difference between being a Psychedelic band and a band that sounds like it just drops acid and records themselves slapping their dicks against their instruments while wailing into the microphones and then recreating their trips and fever dreams on stage.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I hated that performance. Palladia, right? I'm not a fan by any means though the two original songs I have heard by them I did like.

To be honest I think they faired better doing this medley of Tommy at a VH1 tribute to The Who several years back.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-05-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    lol yeah I can't stand them either, plus that singer is a total cock

that yoshimi song...? it's dismal, what is the big deal. Wow we have people onstage in the sort of costumes you get at a fun run marathon

this makes what difference to what now

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I hated that performance. Palladia, right? I'm not a fan by any means though the two original songs I have heard by them I did like.

To be honest I think they faired better doing this medley of <i>Tommy</i> at a VH1 tribute to The Who several years back.

Yes, the concert I saw was on Palladia, and it almost made me throw my TV out the window. That channel has so much great stuff (the Gorillaz and Red Hot Chili Peppers concerts were especially epic), and then I saw that tragedy of a show.

That Who tribute was the first time I'd ever heard them, and I had so much hope for them. Sure, they were still ridiculous, but I'm a huge KISS fan so I was willing to look beyond that. I looked them up thinking that I might have found a new band I might like, but I was wrong... so very wrong.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There's no such thing as "a bad year for music." Just accept that you have failed to find the great stuff.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Glad to see I'm not alone on the "WTF and they suck" Flaming Lips bandwagon.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    If you take the electronics away from Aphex Twin, the music gets actually quite soothing !
    This is actually a great idea. Aphex Twin making music without electronics: I am sure it would be better than whatever bleepfest he's releasing instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Glad to see I'm not alone on the "WTF and they suck" Flaming Lips bandwagon.
    Ever since seeing "She Don't Use Jelly" I was like: no.
    Then suddenly they're like hippest indie band to like.

The Sgt Pepper record is the best thing I've heard from them, it's not bad: it could also have been a lot better if they'd changed it more; the songs and melodies and arrangements are all more or less left intact; it's just saturated in a bunch of noise.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 02-05-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    One of my favorite punks songs:

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm not really a big fan of The Flaming Lips, but The Soft Bulletin is a solid record.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    i fucking loathe modest mouse.
    something about their songs trip my psycho wire and make me feel intensely violent.
    hmmm.
    Not so much modest mouse but thats how nearly all of the ska music i heard back in the late 90's early 00's made me feel. It was so aggressively upbeat that I would have to depart scene to keep from blowing a circuit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillfred View Post
    Not so much modest mouse but thats how nearly all of the ska music i heard back in the late 90's early 00's made me feel. It was so aggressively upbeat that I would have to depart scene to keep from blowing a circuit.
    Oh, you're not alone. I HATE ska music. Such awful garbage. I don't understand how anyone can seriously enjoy that racket of bullshit that leaks from the speakers. It might be upbeat but it makes me sad. My one friend in high school loved this band, I hated it when he talked of them or listened to them.

I also find it how hilarious how into the trombone playing the one guy always gets. The saxophone player a bit more, actually.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 02-06-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Ska music will always be the one thing that I hated about playing the Tony Hawk Pro Skater games.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Beck is a joke.

He had something going on about 20 years ago; now he's just as boring as any other middle aged white guy making bland mass market music with a twist of "quirk" to keep the indie crowd happy.

Case in point:

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Only facepalmed Prowler because of all the likes they got

Anyway, I love the Flaming Lips even though I think Wayne is a dickhead. Seen them twice and both shows were fantastic with totally different set lists.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Beck is a joke.

He had something going on about 20 years ago; now he's just as boring as any other middle aged white guy making bland mass market music with a twist of "quirk" to keep the indie crowd happy.

Case in point:

No wonder I have you ignored.

and as for Wayne Coyne being a dickhead, I'm pretty sure he's going through a midlife crisis right now. Someone needs to slap some sense into him.
    Last edited by Frozen Beach; 02-09-2015 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    If you have me ignored how are you reading my posts?
    Or maybe I'm missing something as to how the ignore function works.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I admittedly accidentally clicked the "view post" link
    and I'm only responding to you now to, you know, be somewhat respectable.

Please note that it's nothing personal/nor meant to be any insult to you, it's just some of your views/opinions kind of irk me because USUALLY i'm open minded enough to see where another person is coming from, but in some cases some of the things you say just confuse the hell out of me. I have you ignored for your benefit, not necessarily only mine, and this was a moment of weakness.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    No offense taken, it's not for me to tell you how go about your ETS experience. (though I do feel compelled to point out that this is the controversial music opinions thread).

I have often noticed this about my opinions on music and culture - that they sometimes (often) go against commonly accepted wisdom, against the grain. I don't do it deliberately to annoy. It's just that those are my opinions.
    (I mean what can I say about the fact that Limp Bizkit has given me infinitely more pleasure than Pink Floyd? It's the truth; now do I hide it or do I be open about it?).
    Sometimes to keep the peace I keep my mouth shut - but in other spaces - such as ETS - I like to be more open about my thoughts.
    I think maybe the issue is that I have "bad taste" and instead of trying to hide it, I think I just need to *own* it more.

Anyway, carry on, I'm just rambling at this point.