Page 9 of 191 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: Controversial Music Opinions...

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    I need to stop jumping in here and defending bands, because it just feels wrong.

Anyway, I think Nirvana was an incredible band, In Utero is an amazing album, and I don't think they're overrated at all. I think as time moves on, I hear the opinion that Nirvana is overrated more and more often (I'm not saying you're saying this at all Magrao), and I think I just want to say that I don't think that's fair. They deserve the acclaim, not just for the awesome music and their undeniable impact on everything, but also what they did with the exposure afforded by their popularity. They were a great band.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-17-2012 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Nirvana are underrated (in a sense) They perfectly bridge metal, punk, post punk, indie and noisy stuff like big black - and yet it sounds coherent, they arent a mishmash or a patchwork. Also they somehow managed to sell millions of records, its mind blowing

but yeah for me the big deal with them is how they blended sounds that usually stay in their own little ghettos, and I cannot recall ever seeing a music hack give them kudos for that specific aspect

they just dont get it maaaaaaan

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I fucking hate The Beatles and I hope that Lil Wayne and Kanye choke on each others cocks and die.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Outside of a few songs off Born in the US, I fail to see what Bruce Springsteen does to garner the success he has. He has no appeal to me and he's not that great of a singer.
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 05-17-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Outside f a few songs off Born in the US, I fail to see what Bruce Springsteen does to garner the success he has. He has no appeal to me and he's not that great of a singer.
    I hate Springsteen too, but i think "Nebraska" is an awesome album
    ON TOPIC: Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam > Nirvana (they are overrated but they were good)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Smells like Teen Spirit > In Utero

Edit: I meant Nevermind > In Utero

Slts is the one song on N I can't listen to.
    Last edited by jmtd; 05-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    nebraska and darkness on the edge of town are the bruce gems, could take or leave almost everything else. also, 'i'm on fire' from born in the usa is a great little slow burn track.

in utero above all other nirvana, but agreed with the defenders about blending of styles and the importance to indie subculture, etc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not sure if this is controversial here, but it sure is controversial among the people I meet in Vancouver: Drake is everything that sucks about hip-hop, and that his music is so well-produced only makes his annoying voice, shitty attitude and stale rapping that much more obnoxious.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    "Smells like teen spirit" – overrated, as is the video. I'm sick of seeing shitty celebrities voting/namedropping it as their number one song of the 90's.

"Something I can Never Have" – find me a more cringe-worthy song... It should never have been included on PHM, but I'm sure I've written about it in the "worst NIN track" thread.

You know that feeling you get when somebody embarrasses themselves so badly YOU feel uncomfortable? Heard "Something I can never have"? Jesus.
    Last edited by hobochic; 05-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hate Tallking Heads and pretty much anything involving David Byrnes. His voice and lyrics are shit.
    I hate Paul Simon, especially that shit album "Graceland" or as I like to call it "let's exploit South Africans by stealing their sound and call it ours!" It's continually on top-ten lists and shouldn't be, in my opinion.
    I hate ALL jam bands (from The Grateful Dead to Phish...Phuck Phish!). Music is like a conversation and "jamming" is analogous to someone, in a drugged stupor, babbling about nothing.
    I despise Slayer and all other bands that attempt to pass barking/screaming as singing (such as Pantera). Sounds like fucking Cookie Monster on coke! "Rawr! Rawr! Rawr! Satan! Rawr! Rawr!" I'm also over all bands, like Slayer, who use pentagrams in their titles/logos. Oooh, how evil and spooky. Fucking boring shit.
    Finally, for now, I hate Muse. Fuck their pretentious, bombastic tripe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Indie" music is mostly crap.
    Hipsters who buy vinyls only to be 'cool' (and not because of the audio quality) are fags.
    Post-rock is mostly boring.
    The post-Metropolis Dream Theater albums are good/do have some good tracks.
    The Slip is good.
    10,000 Days is good.
    Rammstein are bad.

that's about it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theSplinter04 View Post
    Hipsters who buy vinyls only to be 'cool' (and not because of the audio quality) are fags.
    Hipsters who buy vinyl BECAUSE of the audio quality are, too.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    I doubt it's controversial at all, but here it is anyway: nothing makes me leave a room faster than reggae music! Bob Marley's "philosophy of love" is the biggest load of crap ever, and reggae is just hideous in general. I can't stand it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What about old dub? Im not into marley but i could listen to scientist all day

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    dub is the only kind of reggae i can get behind. the less vocals/more echo the better. it's the bombast that i don't like about the genre on the whole.

to extra-clarify, i HATE bob marley with every fiber of my being. but ok yeah, 'pressure drop' is another notable and welcome exception to the above rule. that song is indeed great.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 05-17-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: toots

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Scientist rids the world of the curse of the evil vampires is tip top, deep bass and clattering echoey goodness

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    How can anyone not like this song?

Makes me happy

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Dubstep is merit less.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I love this thread.

GRUNGE fucking rocks. 90's rock (Candlebox, Soundgraden, Alice in Chains, Bush, Pearl Jam, Live) is awesome. Haters gunna hate.

KATY PERRY is a sexy beast.

Lady Gaga blows.

I am a Maynard fan boy. Admitted. He could fart and I'd say it smells like great.

Lars Ulrich is a cunt.

and I repeat...I hate the Beatles. Worst fucking music ever. haters gunna hate.

Good day.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hellospaceboy View Post
    I doubt it's controversial at all, but here it is anyway: nothing makes me leave a room faster than reggae music! Bob Marley's "philosophy of love" is the biggest load of crap ever, and reggae is just hideous in general. I can't stand it.
    I can't stand Bob Marley, most overrated musician ever in my book.

While I'm at it, ist his the correct thread where I can talk about how much I hate Marylin Manson and Guns N Roses finally?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Kid Charlemagne: I used to post here years ago on ETS MK I and came back when the site got shouted out on Pitchfork. I was completely FLOORED to find out that Marilyn Manson had the most popular thread in the music section by quite a bit, and that on the old board there was enough demand that there was a special Manson subforum. Like, really? Manson has got to be the most unfashionable act in pop culture by miles. Maybe in five years ACSS and Mechanimals (fine records in my book!) will have aged like fine wines and hipsters will get around to reappraising them. It's happened with plenty of other bands that have fallen into self-parody, remember 2009's ridiculous Journey renaissance? In 2012, though, being a big fan of Marilyn Manson is like being a juggalo without the street cred.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post

While I'm at it, ist his the correct thread where I can talk about how much I hate Marylin Manson and Guns N Roses finally?

That's not controversial.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post

He's only massively popular due to abysmal potheads that make everything they do in life revolve around the leaf. He smokes weed and is known for it: let's listen to him!! Least that's what I've noticed of people where I live. Same goes for Sublime, people like them because it comes with the pot smokers' territory.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I don't get the big deal about The Beastie Boys. I don't hate them, but I don't think they're as groundbreaking as I've been told they are by various blogs and people on Twitter, especially since MCA passed away. Don't understand the hype.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow, the Marley hate is fascinating! I'm neutral-negative on Marley; I bought Catch a Fire when it got reissued and critics came out of the woodwork to have a wank, didn't really enjoy it that much and have only put it on a few times since. I never bothered to explore his catalogue after that, I thought that if I didn't get Catch a Fire, I wasn't particularly equipped for, say, Exodus. I'm mostly with what some of the others are saying - that reggae falls flat for me, but dub fucking rules. Less vocals, more echoes, slow that shit down and make it deep as a bottomless pit. The stoners who were my friends liked QOTSA and Disturbed, not Marley, and the only black music they listened to was Dre and Pac: while I knew that reggae in general and Marley in particular were pothead music, I never came to associate them with weed.

I'm not crazy about his music, but it doesn't trigger the wet cat reaction in me that Pavement and Death Cab For Cutie do. I've always wanted to find out what's so special about it.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCalx View Post
    but dub fucking rules.
    Dub music, remixes and 90's UK dubstep are good. They're dark, moody and offer great spectacles for sound. That's the dub(step) I respect. Stuff in the vain of 'bro-step' and of Skrillex copies are why I dislike the genre overall. It's a cash grab of a current fad. Same thing with most pop acts and rappers using an 'electro-pop/synth-pop' approach.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    BlueCalx, agreed on all points. I have no idea why that shithead garners so much attention in praise on this board, it surprises me that Tool doesn't even have a longer thread, and I'm neutral on Tool. But the fact that some guy who's career peeked in 1998 is still immensely popular on this board even though he hasn't made a good album in nearly 14 years boggles my mind. None of it's original, none of it is thought provoking, it's just bad music that belongs with fucking Godsmack and Staind on the FM dial.

Space, I agree, but there's also people I know that love Bob Marley who aren't even stoners or bros. I don't get it, in my mind Jimmy Cliff made way better songs and albums, and hell I hate Reggae, but I love Jimmy. Marley on the other hand is so simplistic and boring, it's like Reggae Don Henley. And don't get me started on Damien Marley who made a joke of Nas' career with that awful record.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dub music, remixes and 90's UK dubstep are good. They're dark, moody and offer great spectacles for sound. That's the dub(step) I respect. Stuff in the vain of 'bro-step' and of Skrillex copies are why I dislike the genre overall. It's a cash grab of a current fad. Same thing with most pop acts and rappers using an 'electro-pop/synth-pop' approach.
    Totally with you, but I go a little bit further. I actually like brostep! It's awesome for the gym. It's not groundbreaking or mind expanding but it gives me the same kicks that I imagine a lot of people get from cock rock or nu-metal.

Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    He's only massively popular due to abysmal potheads that make everything they do in life revolve around the leaf. He smokes weed and is known for it: let's listen to him!! Least that's what I've noticed of people where I live. Same goes for Sublime, people like them because it comes with the pot smokers' territory.

I don't know about that. I like Bob Marley, and it has nothing to do with the fact that I smoke.

Sublime on the other hand, I don't give a fuck about.

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    GRUNGE fucking rocks. 90's rock (Candlebox, Bush, Live) is awesome...

and I repeat...I hate the Beatles. Worst fucking music ever.
    I just don't even know what to say to that...

Have you listened to an entire Beatles album, and if so, which one(s)?
    Last edited by Jinsai; 05-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    I don't get the big deal about The Beastie Boys. I don't hate them, but I don't think they're as groundbreaking as I've been told they are by various blogs and people on Twitter, especially since MCA passed away. Don't understand the hype.
    They were the first white guys to do rap right (if someone can find a better, older example, by all means show me). They were one of the groups that showed how rap could be fun and funny without being a total parody. They influenced a lot of people that followed them. If they weren't groundbreaking, they were at least pretty damn influential.

Also, they never made a bad record in my opinion. Some are better than others, but it's very rare for me to feel that way about anybody's discography, let alone a rap group's.